main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Sexualizing in EU–does it fit Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Revanfan1, Aug 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Dooku was said to be in his eighties in AotC and RotS and he looks old; his hair is white or mostly white.

Yes, everyone ages differently but according to the EU Sidious recruited Dooku rather quickly after TPM.

The thought that channeling the Force beyond your limit is the reason why you look like dead warmed over is better than it being a result of channeling the Dark Side.

Anyone here watch Star Trek Voyager?

Sent from my PADD using Tapatalk

"The Starman and Moon Goddess." Han Solo - Dark Angel

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, even if we use "the Force did it" as an excuse--or especially if we use it as an excuse--there's a pretty grotesque double standard there, considering how many Force-sensitive men aged normally.

I also don't remember Luke looking like he did in ROTJ in any of the NJO or post-NJO book covers that I've seen.

VanishingReality likes this.
  3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Well, there's FOTJ, but almost every book in that series has a badly-photoshopped cover.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I think that the Force should make people young because it's cool to have characters last long and it fits with Taoist mythology.

The reason Christopher Lee looks like he's in his eighties is because we don't have that in RL.

I also think that he's still much-much healthier than your average ninety year old man.

5. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    The reason he's healthier then your average 90 year old man, is because the average 90 year old man is deceased.

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    In our world even Taoists die.

I think one reason this irks me so much is due to the unspoken idea that there is something wrong with getting older. Nope, Mara can't age, she must look 25, if she actually looks like a middle-aged woman, there's something wrong with her.

If I wanted to be a fan of a franchise where superficiality was the norm, I'd watch Jersey ****ing Shore.

There are plenty of people middle-aged and older who are still physically fit, nothing wrong with that and it would be expected among the Jedi, but looking more than 10-15 years younger is unrealistic at best and there is no reason for it.

Lady_Misty and Revanfan1 like this.
  7. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    And that has nothing to do with the idea that connection to the life-force of all things giving increased health and vitality.

Old age is nothing to be ashamed of.

However, the accompanying loss of dignity and personal health is something no one likes. No one wants senility and I pray medicine will prevent it in the future.

My .02.

8. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    As long as those people =/= specifically the big boobed and catsuit wearing variety of people. I think female characters could still be older in appearance and still be attractive. (Like the dark woman). Focusing that much to preserve a a specific characters appearance kind of implies that appearance is all that they have going for them.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011

I agree, but who are we talking about here?

Mara in the picture in question is 56, not 86. She can still be in great shape; my parents are both in their 60s and are in very good shape. They aren't senile either, nowhere near it. But they don't look like they're in their mid-20s, and that is the point.

There is a very, very broad line between being drawn like a cover model and "loss of dignity and personal health". A universe-spanning line in fact.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  10. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    This has been a thing with Mara since the NJO. She's the one out of all of the Sky-Solos who is simply not allowed to look ugly or aged in any picture she's in. Even her profile picture from the Atlas, supposedly from LotF times, makes her look like she's in her late thirties at the oldest.
    [​IMG]
    All of the other Sky/Solo pictures in there look fine. In fact, all of the other pictures of characters in the Atlas look fine, pretty much the way they should. Just not Mara. I mean, for Pete's sake, look at Jaina.
    [​IMG]
    She looks older than Mara does!

Revanfan1 likes this.
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Can you be a bit more specific? Your example are not so helpful to me

I have seen the misspelling of 'the' deliberately used from time to time, and I was wondering: why?

to quote Havac -

Yes I know that other artists have given her other costumes but I meant that all the pictures that Revanfan1 posted were by different people and from different times but still showed variations of the same outfit. Also I don't think your last pic count since it shoves Mara in a disguise, or am I mistaken?

P.s. am I the only one that think that Mara looks a bit like Buffy in the middle pic?

Revanfan1 likes this.
  12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I think the reason the Emperor don't send Mara after Rebels is because part of what make her so useful is that she truly believe that the Empire and the Emperor are the good guys. A belief that would be disturbed if she went after people with real reasons to complain against the Empire, after all as part of her job she dose a thorough investigation of her cases, partly to make certain that she kills the right guy partly to make it easier for her to do her job when the time comes.

What do fyi mean?

13. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I dunno. That seems more trouble than Palpatine would find her worth to be.

I also think there's a lot of self-delusion that early Mara displayed.

Let's face it, she was capable of ignoring Alderaan.

So anything less would probably matter little.

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Palpatine has shown that he is willing to put time and effort in to things that don't really mater, just because he found it interesting or fun; for example: his trolling of Dathoimr.
    True, but it seams that Mara is not willing to kill people that don't deserve it, so send her after a group of traditional rebels (a.k.a. the good guys) and she will possibly kill them but she will also find out what made them rebel and try to fix that problem and it is possible that she will do that without killing the rebels since they had good reason to rebel. Do that often enough and even her indoctrination will not stop her from realising that the problem is not some bad apples, it's the whole tree that is rotten

15. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I just think she was Lawful Neutral instead of Lawful Good.

She was not a "good" Imperial.

She was a servant of the System.

Which she believed was for the Greater Good.

If that makes sense.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    It does. But unlike some people she did not think that the end justified the means that much; she was not the operative

The Operative: I'm sorry. If your quarry goes to ground, leave no ground to go to. You should have taken my offer. Or did you think none of this was your fault?
    Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: I don't murder children.
    The Operative: I do. If I have to.
    Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: Why? Do you even know why they sent you?
    The Operative: It's not my place to ask.
    - Serenity (2005)

Zeta1127 likes this.
  17. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    To your first question, I mean like this:

[​IMG]

To answer your second question, I'm not entirely sure how that got started.

Also, Kueller's illustrations annoy me almost as much as Mara's do in this case; also Brakiss, described as wearing silver in the book, is always drawn in black and red. So I have no real faith in the illustrators to draw what the book depicts. For example, the picture of Jaina vs. Jacen, where Jacen should only have one arm and a big ol' stab hole in his gut, being perfectly fine.

[​IMG]

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Clearly the GFFA has super-botox!

19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    We seems to be talking above each other. My problem with understanding the term 'catsuit' is that most of the time I have seen it being used it is usually for a thigh jumpsuit/coverall so I was mostly wondering if there were more differences between a catsuit and a jumpsuit than the tightness but new you are using catsuit to describe Mara's overalls...

20. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I meant the coveralls Jaina is wearing in the above picture is what I picture when I mean "jumpsuit" and the black, tight leather outfit Mara or Black Widow wear is what I mean as a catsuit.

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    So it is a question of tightness?

22. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Ah...partially. It also includes other factors, such as material, or pockets. There's no room for pockets on Mara's catsuit, whereas the jumpsuit/coveralls Jaina is wearing in the above picture has multiple pockets on both shirt and pants.

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    but not sleeves, since you call Mara's overall for a catsuit.

24. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Wait, huh? I'm confused now. No, the catsuit is the sleeveless leather one and the overall/jumpsuit is the sleeved one with pockets.

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    To me, or rather my translation program and Wikipedia search, this is an overall
    [​IMG]
    and I wrote "[...]Mara's costume, which to me more resembled an overall[...]"

And this is an coverall/jumpsuit
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.