main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Buff, NY March of the Snow-Mandos!

Discussion in 'Buffalo, NY' started by Darth Erebus, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Wild Sidewalker

Wild Sidewalker Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    This thread is indeed for club members who wish to be part of our mando clan. What is currently being discussed is very specific to a building workshop. If you wish to build, by all means, join us; I misunderstood your post to mean that you wished only to watch others build. If indeed want to build a set of mando armor, please say so.

2. CapturedJedi

CapturedJedi Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 12, 2011
    No worries. It is my own fault. I probably missed the sign up and instructional meeting during my leave of absence from the group. I'll try to catch up from one of the other members on what we are ordering and where we are ordering it from. Maybe one of the newer members hasn't started yet. I met a few of them at the zoo last week.

Wild Sidewalker likes this.
  3. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    This building workshop on the 29th will be the first formal thing we've done. No instructional meetings. Befitting Mandos, quite informal and independent. LOL! Everything is on this thread. Oya!

4. CapturedJedi

CapturedJedi Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 12, 2011
    Thanks Bill. Understood

5. BigDanLevitan

BigDanLevitan Jedi Master star 5

Jun 26, 2005
    Bill, I'm in. My schedule changed and as of now I can be there

6. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    Woo hoo! Excellent; you're on the list!

7. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    I've begun studying Mando'a and have compiled a list of handy phrases and words I think we could study as we work; at least, I would appreciate being quizzed on them by anyone willing. ;) I'll bring the sheet to the workshop but I can also e-mail it to anyone interested.

Based on what I've read so far, I have some suggestions for our clan's name:

Cin'buurenaar (seen boo-REY-nahr) - blizzard, literally, white storm.

Cin'haran (seen HAH-rahn) - antarctic, literally, white hell or white annihilation

8. Jonathan Xavier Jones

Jonathan Xavier Jones Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 10, 2012
    All this talk makes me want to join too....

9. BigDanLevitan

Jun 26, 2005
    You're more than welcome. It's all part of the north ridge.

10. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    Or how about:

Ciryc'kyr'am (seer-EESH kee-RAHM) - cold death

Ciryc'kad (seer-EESH kahd) - cold sword

11. jediprof

jediprof Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2009
    Very cool. I vote for Ciryc'kad.

72Princess likes this.
  12. BigDanLevitan

Jun 26, 2005
    Thanks Bill for getting this workshop to take place. It's very nice of your contact to allow us to use their equipment and space to build armor and such.

That being said, I spoke with Chris this morning regarding this topic and we agreed that the following needs to be said before anything goes forward:

This applies to everyone who will be apart of this project: if you plan on being apart of this, then also be prepared to do any event or events that are arranged in exchange for the use of this service.

It has happened in the past where we agreed to do appearances in exchange for services and when the time came to repay the people, a good chunk of the people who used said service bailed on their end of the agreement. We don't want to that happen again.

I don't want to come across and "Debbie downer" but that had to be said.

Wild Sidewalker likes this.
  13. BigDanLevitan

Jun 26, 2005
    I vote for this Cin'haran. Nothing screams snow mando like white hell......

14. BigDanLevitan

Jun 26, 2005
    I'm extremely excited to see this take off. The possibilities are there to do all sorts of future projects as well.

I hope that this will lead to many of us getting new skills and maybe create new friendships within the group.

This is the perfect opportunity for those that want to make a costume to get on board at the ground level.

This is new to us as a group. We've done costume workshops in the past, but not a workshop based on one particular costume (outside of pilots)

Who knows if this turns into something big we may be able to another group costume such as snowtroopers or storm troopers....the possibilities are endless!

15. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    Also, this seems like a potentially good place for custom saber making and a droid building workshop. As you said, a LOT of potential here!

16. Otto_den_Ktulu

Otto_den_Ktulu North Ridge Event Coordinator star 5

Jan 19, 2002
    I have a question regarding this building process, is this reserved specifically for those who will be doing the Snow Mandos? I had plans to do my own Mando and then at a later date start a Snow. I already have a jump suit and at the moment cannot purchase a white one.

17. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    Speaking only for myself, as said above, I feel that the workshop should be populated by club members working on armor at this time. The workshop is so we can help each other. So, even though you aren't building a snow mando, you'd be building armor and that would lend to the work synergy. I only re-emphasize that anyone building armor through this workshop is also agreeing to participate in the builder's fair in March.

72Princess and BigDanLevitan like this.
  18. jediprof

Jul 14, 2009
    Don't know about the number of people already signed up but you would still have plenty of time to order your worbla (or whatever other material you would want to use) by the 29th if you want to start fabricating something yourself.

By the way, do they have a heat gun? I was going to buy one before the workshop (Anna said hers was not too expensive and seems to do the trick) but might hold off to evaluate my options and see which type I should spring for. --There is a pretty big variation in amps, price, etc.

Perhaps we could start to do some organizing so we could make the most efficient use of the workspace as possible. For example, I am going to try to have a good handle on the patterns that I would like to use. I am likely planning on just bringing the worbla (which arrived on Friday!) and the foam for the 29th. However, I'd appreciate any other suggestions people might have as to what would be useful.

Also, most have already considered whether they want to go this route, but just in case here are the requirements to join the madolorian mercs:
    http://mercs.firespray.net/forum/in...12899f5d5e7926217&action=ezportal;sa=page;p=5

Looks like we can't get those great boots that Anna found if we want to join the mercs... :( . I'll skim the web for something else we might like. Also looks like we will actually need a custom flight suit...

19. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    So a coverall won't do? Am I reading that right?

20. jediprof

Jul 14, 2009
    It depends what you mean by a coverall. But my guess is that what you are thinking would be fine for men (i.e., the type of coverall for used for x-wing pilot uniforms). However, for Anna and I, the smallest size will definitely be too big (I know from experience with my pilot costume).

Just read a really interesting discussion on Worbla vs. Sintra. I a starting to get a bit nervous that I have sunk a bunch of money into Worbla that I might not want to use for this....
    Since we have a vacuum form we might really want to consider using Sintra. Any thoughts?
    http://mercs.firespray.net/forum/index.php?topic=65162.0

21. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    The warping issue due to body heat and sun seemed to be hypothetical. I would think this would be less of an issue with layering. For myself, I was already imagining using a sandwich layer thicker than a single piece of craft foam; maybe even using sculpted foam. And, I was still thinking about further layering after that.

While sintra might not have the warping issue, I thought it had a cracking issue?

22. jediprof

Jul 14, 2009
    I'm intrigued by the sculpted foam idea. Have you come across any tutorials? I need to read up more on Worbla armor in general.

23. BigDanLevitan

Jun 26, 2005
    Chances are the RPF forums would have info on what you are talking about.

As for Mercs status, it was my understanding we weren't per se making Mercs costumes. I was under th impression that we were just making Custom Mandos.

It doesn't matter to me either way, but Custom Mandos don't have set requirements........

24. BigDanLevitan

Jun 26, 2005
    I have friends that make their costumes from worbla and hey have had no problems with heat issues at all.
    I haven't used it personally so I don't have my own opinion on it.

Sintra on the other hand is what snowy is made out of. It's ok for what it was intended for...ie affordability. As for durability depending on the pull of parts you can have either thick or thin parts.

Most of snowy is wafer thin at best and had to be reinforced in the parts the curved or had to bend.

My thoughts are if the vac table could use ABS we should try using that.

25. jediprof

Jul 14, 2009
    I don't know if everyone wants to have a Merc approved costume. Anna and I were just discussing that if we are putting in the work, we might as well make an approvable
    costume. There is a relatively good amount of flexibility for the Merc approved costumes but definitely some restrictions that might not be acceptable for some.