main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official "The Clone Wars" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    Yeah, I like Jango better anyway. At least he did something in the movies, you know?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I agree, I think AOTC gave us all the back story we needed on Boba, and TCW didn't add much of anything to that. On that note, though, I thought his part in AOTC was good, including his interaction with Jango, and I thought that Daniel Logan did a good job playing him.

3. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    I've enjoyed the start of his journey. One can't expect much, considering the kid is, like you said, a 12 year old boy. I liked seeing him struggle in Death Trap, there was a lot of conflict there. I enjoyed him more in Bounty, and I can only assume his story will get deeper with TCW's bonus content (I hope that arc gets finished!). So yeah, I want to see more of his journey, hopefully in Rebels.

4. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011

I liked him well enough in AOTC, honestly despite the short screen time Boba probably had some of the best characterization in the movie. He was mostly silent, enigmatic (for a kid), and sad which I think fits well with who he'll grow up to be. I actually thought it was cool Logan came back to voice young Boba on TCW.

eht13 likes this.
  5. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Gonna move this here to avoid further off topic:
    Well, that goes back to the argument that the whole show, and the microseries, the comics, and everything else outside of the realms of the films themselves are filler. In the films, we get a taste of the scale of the Clone Wars, from AotC, RotS, and it's offhand mentions in ANH. We get the idea of the scale of the war, of the bonds broken and formed during it's carnage. Is the visual part about it. No, it's not necessary, but it does give you a sense of scale that you can now visualize within your head that you didn't have before. It's not necessary to the grand story between the films, but in a way, it's something that adds structure to the core that we already have. TCW, the microseries, and everything else is the landscaping and decorative architecture that is built around the iron and concrete infrastructure of the film Saga.

6. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Sure. But some filler is more cheesy than others.

7. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    Since joining the boards a month ago, I have been surprised to discover how many fans have not watched even a SINGLE episode of TCW. Maybe the movie scared them away in the beginning? I feel it is really unfortunate, for their sake. Granted, not every episode will appeal to all sincere fans, but anyone who has come to love and enjoy the show can attest to how much richness and depth has been added to the saga because of this series. I am disappointed with myself that I took so long to discover it.

Any suggestions on how to encourage fans to test the waters and at least try a couple of episodes before completely dismissing the show? :)

Seerow and cwustudent like this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm personally one who just leaves people alone when they decide they aren't interested in something. And I've only been swayed to try a show, movie, book, etc. by someone saying "You should watch X" if the person knows me and knows what I like. An Internet sales pitch of "You should all watch this show!" wouldn't do it for me.

When I see someone post about what they enjoyed about a show, I might be persuaded if I find the description interesting.

But I think that's the best you can do.

9. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011

I was dissuaded from watching TCW myself by the movie and a fan who ranted about Ahsoka before I really knew what that meant. I'm fortunate my curiosity and love of animation made up for that. In a sense so is Star Wars since TCW pulled me in further and I almost never watched it. I myself wish I'd discovered TCW much earlier than I did. I have actually had a few friends I know IRL and online pick up the show just by talking about what I think makes it stand out. IRL loaning out my Blu-rays to the more trust worthy ones. Playing the Umbara arc loudly on a good sound system also seems to do wonders for introducing fans to the show, LOL. I ended up with a party that way once.

10. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    I heard that a lot of fans hated the movie, in fact even though, to this day, I've never seen it. I defended it by saying that "It's for kids" and "A new fresh start"

I gave the show a chance for no other reason than: I ****ing love Star Wars. So I watched Season 1, Season 2, and then I some point I got remarkably pissed off and decided that I hate Ahsoka, whom I blamed for the show's continuity mishaps and existence really, with the fury of a hundred suns. So I stopped watching for a while. I actually skipped quite a few arcs, including Mortis.

I watched Season 5 and well hated it because only 2 out of the 5 Arcs were worth anything. But on the bright side, I decided that I didn't hate Ahsoka anymore. I just hate the favoritism.

But anyway, yeah I don't know what to tell you. Just put in a good word but be straight with them, the show is littered with hits and misses.

Ananta Chetan likes this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I was not impressed with Genndy's Anakin, and when this show came out, my reaction was, "They gave Anakin a Padawan? Really? LOL, what the hell kind of liquor was flowing at the bar when that decision was made?"

I didn't bother until 2010 or so, and only then because someone told me that the show did a great job on Anakin and Obi-Wan's friendship.

12. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Yeah, it's not really a tragedy when someone doesn't bother watching a cartoon.

13. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    With TCW, it's really more of visual counterpart to what we already have. Between AotC and RotS, we know a progression took place, but we don;t actually see the progression. TCW lets us see that progression. So, I guess you could call it filler in a sense, but it seems unnecessarily demeaning on a show that isn't that bad. SW has definitely done far far worse in terms on TV shows *cough* Ewoks *cough*

Any way, as for people who give the show a chance, then drop it a few seasons after, I gotta admit, the show doesn't hit its highlights until S3. S1 and S2 are decent with the Clones, but the Jedi moments are rather weak and cheesy. I would have to say that the show was getting its best at S4 and S5, when dealing with issues such as friendly-fire, the Siege on Kamino where we see thousands of clone fetuses being killed on screen, and arcs that feature the clones and other characters more than just the Anakin, Ahsoka, and the other Jedi.

darth fluffy likes this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I feel the opposite. Season 3 and season 4 had some good episodes but I think the show started jumping the shark somewhere in that time frame. Season 5 was just ****ing awful. I'm not even going to buy the DVD/Blu-Ray set.

Mzukiller likes this.
  15. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    But... but... how will you watch the WAC and Gascon episodes?! :p

I actually didn't mind the TCW movie, other than the painful "Ahsoka is Anakin's padawan" reveal and the annoying Jabba's son sub-plot. As far as the regular seasons, I don't really see an improvement or a decline overall; the show has always been hit or miss IMO. Possibly some of my favorite stuff came from Season 1 (such as Rookies), but then later on we got great episodes too, like the Umbara arc. The one thing that did seem to change overtime was the consistent improvement of the visuals and animation.

Mzukiller and Ananta Chetan like this.
  16. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Don't underestimate the power of Gascon and WAC, they will make you buy it

Ananta Chetan and podjazd like this.
  17. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    We have all given elaborative remarks in defense of TCW as supplementary material, but what about your argument against it? Would you please care to elaborate on this? What parts of RotS is ample enough to expand upon the foundation given in AotC of Anakin's relationship with the rest of the Jedi Order that couldn't benefit from further explanation?

Ananta Chetan likes this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    She explained that pretty well in the "Things that TCW Fixed" thread.

19. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013

I would speculate that the Season 5 arcs were more specifically designed for particular demographics than we had seen in the previous years...the droid and younglings arc for the under 10 crowd and the Maul and Ahsoka’s fate arcs for us. I won’t lie and say that I wasn’t suffering with Gascon…but it did ironically make the Maul arc that followed all that much sweeter from a month of content deprivation.

20. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I tend to disagree with the idea the Youngling and D-Squad arcs were toned down. What part of Grievous's rampage when he invaded Obi-wan's ship was toned down? In the D-Squad arc WAC even told Gascon to kill himself. My favorite season is 2 but I think both seasons 4-5 were big improvements on the earlier ones. Before that TCW has some of the most painful circular formula writing I'd seen in a long time. They were using to damn monster of the day trope like it was 1994.

Season 4 (possibly starting with the season 3 finale) broke TCW out of that formula. The show had much more involved stories there grew much darker and finally developed some sense of being linear. Season 5 continued that trend even more. The flipside of the coin is the long arcs meant we spent more time on a given story which made it feel like less happened in a season.

21. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Late to the Boba discussion. I'm kind of ambivalent about him overall, including in TCW. That said, I like how TCW expands on his character. In the S2 arc he's going after one person for revenge and going out of his way not to kill others, then he gets smacked around by Aura Sing for it, and in S4 he's a little older and a lot more ruthless. I liked what GL did with Jango in the PT since now we know exactly what Boba looks like and he's especially disdainful of Jedi because he saw his dad decapitated by one when they were still around. But that's really all background, nothing personal. TCW gave us a more intimate look at how Boba Fett went from being a not-all-the-way-evil little kid following his bounty hunter dad around to being a cold-hearted killer. My main reason for loving TCW [face_love] is how it expands on the OT so even though I don't love Boba I still appreciate that.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  22. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

This. I don't get how people can say that the Youngling arc was toned down or aimed at the younger viewer. Look at what it involves! Yes, the main characters may be 6 younglings... but what happens in the arc doesn't show its been toned down. Hondo's intentions for Ahsoka and what he does to her is quite dark material. Same with Grievous' attack on Obi-Wan's ship.

If anything The Gathering was probably the episode of the youngling arc that was made for the younger audience... but the rest of it? No.

Seerow and The Shadow Emperor like this.
  23. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I think the few short battle sequences in the third episode of the arc are probably the best parts of the arc after the first episode (I really like The Gathering).

24. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I think people underestimate what kids can handle. I would say that Hook is a movie aimed at kids, regardless of the fact that Rufio, a teenager is killed by Captain Hook, or that Hook intends to kill a bunch of kids. I loved that film as a kid. How Hondo behaves in the Youngling arc I found in no way inappropriate for young audiences.

Disney movies have implied (more often than visual) violence. Ursula gets impaled on the front of a ship, and Scar gets torn to pieces by a pack of hyenas. I would be comfortable showing either film to a child regardless of age (so long as they are old enough to have the attention span to sit through it), be it a 2 year old.

Photorealistic violence is where I draw the line. I saw Braveheart young and remember I couldn't handle it. Jaws gave me nightmares. I remember being fascinated by the Aliens toys at Toys R Us and wanting to see the movie from which they were derived (WHY, TOYS R US, WHY?) what a nightmarish film that was to see an alien burst out of someone's chest.

But implied violence or a characters intentions were always fine for me and I don't think their inclusion is mutually exclusive with something being "kiddy."

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It depends on the kid too. My oldest has been watching PG-13 movies since he was about 5. My youngest is more sensitive.

But they both watch Doctor Who and there is some pretty heavy-duty stuff there.

As far as the younglings arc...I have never watched it. I downloaded it off Amazon Instant Video and after what several people have said, I'm afraid I'm going to want my six dollars back.

TaradosGon likes this.