main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The "What-If?" Depository - ALL conceptual/hypothetical conversation goes here

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SithStarSlayer, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Kran Starborn

Kran Starborn Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 19, 2013
    In Attack of the Clones Padme says aren't jedi forbidden to love and Anakin explains that possession and attachment are forbidden but if I remember right off the top of my head he says compassion which he defines as unconditional love is encouraged. Is this at all accurate of the jedi code or was this just a way for Anakin to explain how he could love Padme but not be breaking the jedi code?

2. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012

It's Anakin rationalizing.

3. Kran Starborn

Jul 19, 2013
    I thought so but have to ask the question just to be 100%. I felt it was him just rationalizing it to make it seem it was still okay to do even though he was a jedi.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  4. Kran Starborn

Jul 19, 2013
    Also a 2nd question but how long had Padme been pregnant when she was forced to give birth to Luke & Leia? I feel like we should assume they were premature since Padme was on the brink of death when she gave birth to them.

5. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I believe the ROTS novel states that Anakin had been away from Coruscant for 5 months, and I don't think the ROTS timeline lasts more than 4-6 weeks, making her a minimum of 6 1/2 months pregnant when the twins were born.

6. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Which would have confirmed Anakin's long held belief of the Jedi being evil.

7. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I wouldn't say it's purely Anakin rationalizing. Yeah, he's using some convenient personal definitions there, but it seems pretty clear that compassion is an important part of being a Jedi.

8. Kran Starborn

Jul 19, 2013
    Vthuil But compassion defined as unconditional love?

Count Yubnub likes this.
  9. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Hence "convenient personal definitions".

10. Kran Starborn

Jul 19, 2013
    If Qui-Gonn Jinn didn't die and became Anakin's Jedi Master like he was going to be would anything have been different would he still have eventually turned to the dark side?

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Qui-Gon training Anakin would have messed up the OT a bit.

The basic issues (Anakin having a lot of fear and anger in him from a childhood as a slave, + his having forming an attachment to Padme based on his dreams of her), would still have existed- and I could see Palpatine at least trying to take advantage of them.

12. Kran Starborn

Jul 19, 2013
    Iron_lord Are you saying yes or no on if he still would have went to the dark side if Qui-Gon was his master?

13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd say it's not so much a yes or no question, as a "increased probability/decreased probability question"

Qui-Gon's extra experience might have decreased the probability slightly- but not necessarily by much.

14. Kran Starborn

Jul 19, 2013
    Or would it have been increased maybe because Qui-gon was a bit of a rebel to the Jedi Council wanting to take Anakin as apprentice even without there consent to do so. I mean it is a possibility that Count Dooku was correct in saying perhaps Qui-gon would have turned to the dark side.

15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    These kind of hypotheticals- fun as they are- aren't really answerable in that sense.

16. Kran Starborn

Jul 19, 2013
    I guess its one of those things you can only speculate at the possiblity and won't really get an answer since its something that didn't happen.

17. Skelter

Skelter Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Still would have been Yoda vs palps, since Obi-wan would have dided.

18. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

A lot of fans love to believe that Yoda was a lot more powerful than Anakin. Don't they? I keep forgetting that Yoda is one character who is constantly put on a pedestal.

19. NeverDoubt

NeverDoubt Jedi Youngling

Sep 8, 2013
    I'm sorry if this is the wrong place, but is it OK to ask random behind the scenes type questions? I know there were a lot of articles about how Terence Stamp didn't have a good experience working on TPM. Does anyone recall if George Lucas ever talked about working with him in an interview?

20. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Not really. The fact is that Anakin wasn't killed because Obi-wan was emotionally compromised and Yoda wasn't. Obi-wan had raised the boy like a son and had bonded with him closely over a dozen years. He even tells Yoda that he should go after Palpatine, but Yoda insists that it has to be him to do it. Because Obi-wan is at a crossroads between his duty and his feelings, he lets Anakin burn instead of putting an end to him. Had Yoda been there, there would have been no conflict and Anakin would be dead now. There would have been an intense fight of the same caliber as what it was with Obi-wan, but the outcome at the end would be different. Yoda would not hesitate and would exploit Anakin's weaknesses intentionally.

21. Gray_Jedi R

Gray_Jedi R Jedi Youngling

Sep 17, 2013
    I was reading again the Rots novelization, and I keep thinking about the famous Obi-Wan's statement about Anakin: "he's loyal to people not to principles". Also, the book shows us some of Palpitene's thoughts and indicates that Obi-Wan would be the only person who could talk Anakin down in a situation where he's on the brink.

Based on this, I wonder what would've happened if it were Obi-Wan instead of Windu the one who was threatening Palpatine life. I sincerely believe that Anakin would've acted differently, and all what follows that event could've been avoided.

Furthermore, what if Windu would've earned Anakin's trust and loyalty from the begining?

Because let's be fair. I can understand his distrust toward the Anakin when he grows older. But Mace dislike him from the day one. Anakin was a kid, an inocent child up to the clouds with his dreams about jedis. He idolized them and was very eager to please.

If instead of showing him rejection, the council would've warm him up... maybe that crucial moment in the Canchellor's office would have had another ending.

What are your thoughts about the matter?

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought it was Yoda more than Mace that distrusted Anakin. In the TPM novelization, we find out that while the Jedi Council voted to train Anakin, Yoda disagreed with that decision.

23. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I don't remember Mace distrusting or disliking Anakin in TPM. As Iron_lord pointed out, Yoda seemed to be the one who had doubts about Anakin and vocalized them.

Mace was actually pretty high on Anakin in AOTC, "the boy has exceptional skills"...."Remember Obi-Wan, if the prophecy is true your apprentice is the only one who can bring the Force back into balance."

What if this, what if that. What if Anakin had earned Mace's trust by waiting for him in the Council chambers? One could do this all day.

Gray_Jedi R likes this.
  24. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Welcome to the boards, Gray_Jedi R!
    We have a Random Question thread for what-if's and the like. Merging.

25. Gray_Jedi R

Gray_Jedi R Jedi Youngling

Sep 17, 2013
    Understood. I apoligize for my mistake.

That's true. But I'm talking about when Anakin was just a kid. And I said Maid because he happened to be the one in the Canchellor's office, but I meant all the jedi council in general.

I believe none of the council member liked Anakin, and neither did Obi-Wan. The feared him and what his mere existence might mean. He defied all the rules of their rigid existence. Anakin, being very force sensitive, sensed these feeling of disliking from the begining.

This was a huge reason why he would never consider the jedi like his family.