main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode VII Release Date Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ManaByte, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    We still run double features from time to time at work. It usually happens during the fall and winter when we are slower.

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    My favorite cinema experience this millennium was the Fathom Events double feature of the restored Frankenstein & Bride of Frankenstein last October. I'd sit in a theatre all day for films I like.

3. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    yeah that was a good one. The double features usually start around Oscar time. I know our Oscar series at work was very popular last year.

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I didn't think the next Terminator was a reboot? I thought Ahunuld was attached?

5. Darth_Panicius

Darth_Panicius Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 7, 2013
    Back on Topic ....

There are several reasons why SW has always gone with a May release. One of these is Merchandising. GL provide undisputedly that merchandising is a Cash Cow (money taken is greater than ticket sales). By releasing early summer, kids and fans get hyped about all the merchandise. Any parent knows that kids start thinking about Christmas as soon as the summer vacations start. Releasing E7 in May/June means that it is on the forefront of every kids' mind when the wish lists start. Having a Fall/Winter release will lose shed loads of cash on merchandising alone.

Fall/Winter 2015 is not going to be the date. Look at Summer 2015, if it slips it'll then move to early summer 2016.

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I still think it's May 2015.

7. Yensid1974

Yensid1974 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 13, 2013
    Well, I'll go ahead and make my official guess. May 27, 2015.

8. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I'm calling May 2016. At this point I'd be surprised if it were May 2015-VERY surprised (pleasantly so I may add however).

9. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Nah, it will be 2015. I just don't think it will be May or even summer.

10. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Didn't Iger *just* confirm once again to investors that it was 2015? It would be a mess for them to push it back a year. I still think it will hit in May, but I wouldn't be shocked if it slipped to the holidays. No way that it strays out of '15, though, in my opinion.

11. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Where? I just saw that he did not confirm that the spin offs are about Han or Boba.

12. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I've always thought that this is the most logical date :

1. It is a tradition that Star Wars is released in May .
    2. You get a full 27 days after the release of the Avengers 2 which would have taken the bulk of it's gross by then .
    3. No matter when Star Wars is released it's going to have competition & now that Disney owns so much it will have to compete with itself from a certain point of view , I mean Marvel has already scheduled a movie for early May 2016 ! .
    4. Can you really see Star Wars released outside summer "Really" ? .
    5 . No big franchise movie has been scheduled in late May 2015 as of yet .

TheTwinSuns likes this.
  13. darth_saruman12345

darth_saruman12345 Jedi Youngling

Sep 13, 2013
    i just which they would announce a date already if filming schedule is unchanged then whats stopping them they need to hurry b4 all the good 2015 dates are claimed it seems to be the only anticipated film w/o a date set

14. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Here you go, try these: ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ ....... ,,,,,,,,,, :: ;; ?? !!

:p

15. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    http://variety.com/2013/biz/news/st...ey-when-it-comes-to-opportunities-1200609291/

It's not Bob Iger but Disney CFO Jay Rasulo stated again to investors that Episode VII would be released in 2015. They've stated it numerous times and their stance hasn't changed a bit. Summer 2015. It will also most likely be released in May since they have stated that Celebration Anaheim, which is held in April, will be timed with the release of Episode VII.

16. Momotaros

Momotaros Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2013
    Disney moving a lot of dates around..

Jeff Sneider@TheInSneider 2m
    BREAKING: Disney moves Angelina Jolie's MALEFICENT 3D up from 7/2 to 5/30. FIFTH ESTATE moves to 10/18 from 10/11. MCFARLAND dated 11/21/14.

Jeff Sneider@TheInSneider 1m
    CONTINUED: Pixar's THE GOOD DINOSAUR 3D moves back a year & a half from 5/30/14 to 11/25/15. FINDING DORY 3D moves from 11/25/15 to 6/17/16.

17. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    Disney is doing more shuffling of their 2015 and 2016 lineup. They've pushed the release of The Good Dinosaur from June 2014 to November 25, 2015 so I doubt Disney will be moving Star Wars to the holiday season. Finding Dory was originally scheduled for that date but is now scheduled to open June 17, 2016. So if they do decide to change I think it's likely to be delayed until May 2016.

18. TheTwinSuns

TheTwinSuns Jedi Master star 3

Apr 26, 2013
    This is good news for a May 2015 release.

19. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I think it's pretty clear that they're shuffling dates around to accommodate Star Wars and not to delay it.

20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Or we're finally getting a Tron sequel

:(

21. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yup, May 2015 just looks more likely...

22. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999

There are 5 weekends in May with the first occupied by the behemoth, The Avengers II. If Disney wants to avoid cannibalizing itself, SW would have to come out no earlier than TA2's 4th weekend, which is May 22nd. Even then, TA2's weekend gross could be above $30m which will cut into profits for both films.

Jedi Knight Fett and Dewback like this.
  23. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    Perhaps. Nothing in May 2015 has changed. It's as crowded as ever, but November/December is looking worse. I think the fear about releasing it in May 2015 is less about competition than it is about whether the film will be ready.However, that can change if JJ gets his way and it is released later. Then it will likely be a May 2016 since Disney will not want it competing with it's fish movie.

24. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Disney conspicuously left out the May 1st release date when they released the Age of Ultron logo. I think it's possible that it will be the next to move it's date. Perhaps up a few weeks to April where it's only competition so far would be Ted 2. That would give both films the room they need.

eht13 likes this.
  25. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    This is all clearly to accommodate Star Wars. TBH, however, I think this makes a summer 2015 release even less likely. It seems as though they are making room for their end-of-year schedule. December 2015 is my bet. An announcement is incoming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.