main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Empire's Sexism and Racism

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Slowpokeking, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Where did it come from? The PT probably explained the Racism due to most of the Separatists were non human races, but sexism? I don't think Palpatine is a sexist or racist, he does use women as Emperor's hand, as well as some alien officials, including Thrawn.

2. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Daala would have been the first look at Imperial sexism that I am aware of. Short of no female Imperials appearing on screen in the films of course.

Which is a completely different thing than Palpatine being sexist himself of course. Palpatine was about using people's biases as weapons to further his own power and control.

3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    It was largely a creation of West End Games and the post-ROTJ EU.

Ironically, the real origin is Chewbacca's backstory. Lucas' notes stated that Chewbacca was a slave and Han rescued him to incur a life-debt.

Given Chewbacca is a slave and he's an alien, it stands to reason the Empire treats aliens like garbage.

xezene likes this.
  4. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Somehow people seem to have missed watching the movies... with you know Zero Imperials females or Non-Humans [face_dunno]Also pretty much the first EU works already hint at it, with the Splinter of the Mind's Eye showing chauvinism against woman and Aliens by Imperials, whilst the Poster Monthlies already had "The only good Alien is a dead Alien" as a Stormtrooper motto.

xezene likes this.
  5. THE EVIL CLIFFIE

THE EVIL CLIFFIE Jedi Master star 2

Jul 11, 2008
    The Speceism seems to be a product of Chewie's backstory and Zahn. Daala seems to be the source of the sexism.

6. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    It also helps to remember that Star Wars isn't Space "Our Future" it's Space 1970s idealism vs. 1940s Nazis meets Flash Gordon's Ming the Merciless.

Gamiel likes this.
  7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    There weren't non-human Rebels until ROTJ, and Leia was the only female who even did any combat stuff in the entire OT thanks to the stupid decision to cut the female pilots from ROTJ.

Also as far as WEG goes, I have to disagree on the gender part (but only in part, lol). WEG certainly largely crafted the anti-alien stuff, but WEG shows a lot of female Imperials -- both in generic art, as well as an equal amount of female and male Imperial officer template things in some guides. However, WEG also establishes the existence of systemic bias too -- it did, after all, create the Firebird Society in the Lords of the Expanse books.

However, I have to say that the anti-female bias shown in WEG is no where near as absurd as KJA/Daala make it out to be, and her experiences ought to more reflect her incompetence than an actual full-scale resistance to any female presence at flag rank since that flies in the face of evidence.

8. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I'm talking about instorywise, what cause these since I don't think Palpatine was sexist/racist.

9. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    There is Chewie since ANH :p and still better then 0 by any means.

His main backers are Core World humans, many of which are notorious for these two things.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    If you count Chewie than I count Garindan.

Robimus likes this.
  11. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Payed external help doesn't count. :p

12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    "I ain't in it for your revolution, princess, and I'm certainly not in it for you. I expected to be well paid -- I'm in it for the money."

13. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    The in-story reason for the Galactic Empire's racism boils down to the fact the Core Worlds have always had a strongly racist and sexist bent. The Imperial Sourcebook said that the Empire needed something to rally the various Star Systems in the Core around the New Order so they wouldn't be Alderaanian, Corellian, or Corlag but Imperials. COMPNOR and a number of influential figures in the New Order (later identified as a Grand Admiral and Imperial Advisor respectively) decided the best way to do this was to create "High Human Culture" which is the idea that humans were a superior species.

It worked, much to the disgust of most beings, and the New Order suddenly had a vast number of new recruits--all human--who rallied behind the Empire. The marginalizing of aliens allowed the Empire to also legalize slavery and create a huge work-force to create the Empire's various projects. The Emperor, himself, had almost nothing to do with it but the entirety of the "New Order" was a sham anyway and merely a way for him to consolidate his power over the galaxy.

xezene likes this.
  14. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    charles can you explain why this is ironic please. thanks

15. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    A lot of fans have stated it was a product of the EU. Few people realize that WEG had access to Lucas' rather large notebook (which also gave a bunch of action figure backstories).

xezene likes this.
  16. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    still not seeing the irony

17. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
  18. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    ^I love that kind of response! [face_rofl]

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    um.

20. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Quite a bad typo, that.

21. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    basically what i am saying is in the future can you not use "ironically" as a transitional sentence-opener thing (i am sure there is a term for this probably but i am not educated enough to know it) when it does not apply? for example "however" would have been more appropriate here and made it more clear what you were getting at. thanks and you're welcome!

22. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Right.

JediVegeta and Robimus like this.
  23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Transitional phase, clause, or word, as appropriate. Syntax is pretty straightforward.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

24. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    http://theoatmeal.com/comics/irony

If we're going to get on high horses about violations of standard English usage that bug us, I will name mine "Capital Letters" and ride him around like I'm Viggo Mortenson in Hidalgo.

25. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

He changes his mind at the end of ANH. It is meant to a big emotional moment that even a space pirate can see that fighting the Empire is the right thing. :p