main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social Hooper McFinney's RPF Bar & Grille 7.5 - "Loving the lens flare since 1977!” -!

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Penguinator, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I think it's more that they needed to justify his expertise being well above that of an ordinary high school chemistry teacher's, while simultaneously being able to justify the whole low-salary thing. :p

2. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    I think it's actually the earliest indication we have that something doesn't quite add up with Walt.

He didn't go straight from Gray Matter to high school teaching, for a start. We know from a previous flashback that he was doing pretty well when they bought the house. So it was a steady decline rather than a sudden plummet.

The choice to teach high school was a juvenile act of defiance from a man who felt that life had done him wrong (ever since he got screwed out of his fair stake in Gray Matter). It reminds me of Matt Damon's character at the end of Good Will Hunting. He's a genius but he's prepared to lay brick for the rest of his life. It's a noble profession, he says. Nothing wrong with an honest day's work. But really it's because he's too frightened and angry to do what he knows he's capable of doing. Walt's a bit like that. He knows he could walk back into the top of his field, but he chooses to teach high schoolers - because how dare people question the value of educating youngsters, there's nothing more important. But really it's because he's bitter and wounded and downtrodden, and to simply turn his back on the system feels like some sort of power, even if it causes undue suffering to his family.

Which related to him turning down Eliot's offer of an insurance-paying dream job shortly into the first series. He chooses to cook meth and risk his whole family rather than be beholden to a man he considers to have betrayed him. That says a tremendous amount about Walt. And that's only four episodes in.

Penguinator likes this.
  3. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I had assumed that flasback was prior to his departure from Grey Matter - he doesn't seem terribly prideful, more just confident that, "Hey, I'm a smart guy, I'm gonna be doing well." I know the show tries to make you question just how good Walt was all along, but there's a definite moment where he actively chooses to become the villain, and I think it happens well into the show. Certainly his wounded pride contributes to that, but he's an example of a man with failings and flaws that, well, breaks bad; rather than be evil all along, the show chronicles, essentially, the creation of a supervillain.

4. Shereshoy Cabur

Shereshoy Cabur Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 2, 2013
    Just letting you know that i'll have a post up in Voyage around Tuesday afternoon

5. Rampani

Rampani Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2003
    I've just realized what tomorrow is......

[​IMG]

The premier of this!

6. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    It's the 24th?

7. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It is GTAV day, though.

By which I mean - it's the day where there are only two weeks left until Etrian Odyssey: Untold and Rune Factory 4! Get the hypes!

Edit: And can I just say, the demo of the former was really cheesing me off with the hand-holding right up until this started playing:

And then the warp overtook me. IT WAS A GOOD PAIN.

8. Rampani

Rampani Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2003
    I......am a fool. I tired fool. I was a week early on my celebration of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. premier happiness. I sat down thinking it was coming on, only to be presented with Iron Man 2 =(( teh feelz i be sufferings right nowz

9. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Probably better than my "Oh boy I get to proctor a test and then grade for hours tomorrow" feels. :p

10. Penguinator

May 23, 2005

It's okay man, we all have moments where we build ourselves up only to be met with disappointment. For example, my increasing misanthropy has caused me to relate more and more with this guy:

[​IMG]

11. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
  12. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Where is everyone?

13. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Renovating!

14. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Your house? The RPF? Your life?

15. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    My house/life. Just finished sanding the subfloor in the living room. Not fun.

s65horsey likes this.
  16. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    By hand or are you using a power sander? I had to help my sister in law sand the deck once. Oh man was that an arm workout!

17. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Power sander, thank god :p The renos are really just temporary, I'm painting my parents' subfloor until they have the time to actually bring a guy in to do hardwood for them.

...unless I'm the guy...

s65horsey likes this.
  18. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    College :p

19. Shereshoy Cabur

Shereshoy Cabur Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 2, 2013

20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I've been sufficiently sick that it's a lot of work just to keep up with grad school and admin stuff. [face_beatup]

21. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Picked up two books yesterday: Fall of Hyperion, and...and...

[​IMG]

yes I will Yes.

The edition I got seems to be a 1992 edition with an introduction by Declan Kiberd. I've read a bit of the intro; it has proven an increasingly terrifying experience, rather like watching a tornado gracefully float in one's direction, as I leaf page after page getting closer to that familiar font that seems to have been preserved across all of Joyce's books. Kiberd quotes small bits and pieces here and there, and I'm already struck again by how warm Joyce's writing is. I can't really describe it better than that. Anyway, not reading the book yet, I've got a reading list to get through, just though I'd brighten Ramza's day. :p

Ramza likes this.
  22. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I made a special trip into London after work yesterday, to meet a friend, one of my extended SW group that I have known for years, at a pub called the Knights Templar in Chancery Lane.

Could I find the drokking place? No. Went up one direction of the main road, then the other direction, nothing. Hit upon the idea of going into a coffee shop, Pauls, buying a coffee and asking for direction to this pub. Bought the coffee off them, asked the directions, never heard of the place.

So I sat by the window with this coffee I didn't particularly want, watching the world go by, spent a further three quid on a "Macaron Framboise", which turned out to be a delightful confection - sort of a pink macaroon sandwich with raspberry jam.

After forty minutes to an hour, when the place was due to close, I thought drokk it, I have no idea where this place is, got a bad knee so walking aimlessly is hurting quite a bit, I'm gonna go home.

I notice a pair of...what I'm going to call "pedicabs", sort of a cycling taxi service, pass me on the road, and decide on a last ditch tactic. I'm going to stand on the pavement, hail the next one that comes along, ask the driver/rider/cyclist how much it is, and how much it would be to take me to this Knights Templar place, and while I am looking down the road for the next one, my mate, who has been standing in the destination pub for the last hour waiting in vain for me, has gone to seek food, and walks past behind me!

So we do meet after all. And have a relatively good evening, drinking, dining, discussing Episode VII, the Clone Wars (animated and CGI), financial services, and why he doesn't go to his work Christmas parties.

23. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    That's some good luck. I completely sympathize on the "I have no idea where this place is" front, I have to use Google Maps and allow a 15 minute cushion to go anywhere, I'm so prone to getting lost.

And Saintheart I would advise having a copy of either Linati's schema or Gilbert's schema handy when you do read Ulysses, I find they're surprisingly helpful. Not that it particularly matters, since once you get reading the entire book is basically one big
    [​IMG]

Saintheart likes this.
  24. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
  25. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002