main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Fisto's Disco: The LACWAC Social Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by G-FETT, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    There's a type of film you DON'T like?!?:eek:

(To be serious -- I don't keep up to snuff with most films these days and you're one of the people on here talking about movies all the time. But you always seem to like every one. Even if it's like, Fast & the Furious 17 or something.:p )

2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Nothing beats the cage. ;)

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  3. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I'm not real big on ultra violence in live action either although I can stand it in animation for some reason. I also have virtually no tolerance for horror movies, probably because I've sorta lived them in the chronic nightmares I had in middle school and highschool, still occasionally have them. LOL, perhaps this was why Kenny is my favorite in South Park since I seemed to be the same prop character.

I've seen the Daredevil movie once when it was in theaters. I barely remember it.

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  4. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    The Director's Cut is really quite good; don't remember much of the theatrical version which I saw once on VHS many years back.

5. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Lol, that's true. The only films that I haven't liked at the cinemas over the years are The Hunger Games and This Is the End.

I watched the Director's Cut, apparently it was about 30 minutes longer. I don't know what they would've taken out for the theatrical version because everything seemed to work quite well in the film.

6. SeparatistFan

SeparatistFan Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2012
    You'd never let me miss out on something like this, huh Tarkas?

I'm a Power Rangers fan. My favorite season is still without a doubt Power Rangers in Space. Adding a splash of Space Cases to the "Wake up, go to school, save the world" trope was just a winner in my book. That particular ranger team grew on me and became my favorite. I liked Ecliptor the villain with a heart then Astronema/ Karone is probably my favorite character in the franchise. And damn if there has ever been a powerful moment in PR it was Zordon's death. I'm not as hard on Operation Overdrive as alot of the fanbase. I agree the way the villains were handled in different groups was pretty interesting. They had some cool interplay between them as well.[/quote]

I haven't seen Power Rangers in Space, the oldest PR series I have seen is Lost Galaxy and I liked that season a lot especially since it was the best PR show I have seen in terms of having a dark tone. I do like the sound of the older seasons since they were more connected with each other, where as since then starting with Lost Galaxy they did the new rangers, new villains thing each season. The other PR series I like a lot are Light Speed Rescue, Time Force, SPD, Mystic Force and Jungle Fury, do you like any of those? I never got in to RPM much and I haven't seen the new seasons yet. I found the villain meet ups pretty interesting in Operation Overdrive, I liked how there was a lot of villain vs villain stuff.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Power Rangers were way after my time. My brother was really into GI Joe, Transformers and He-Man; I think I can still sing those theme songs on demand.

My kids like Spongebob plus the really old-school cartoons like Tom and Jerry. So, yeah...other than TCW and our favorite yellow dude in a pineapple under the sea, I'm pretty much ignorant of any post-1990 cartoon.

Jordan1Kenobi : Neither Elektra nor Hulk did anything for me but I enjoyed The Amazing Spider-Man.

8. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011

Wow, so you haven't seen any of the Zordon era? Nothing really wrong with that. Many of the seasons that follow Space are much more sophisticated (far as PR goes) with better storylines with overarching continuity, interesting characters, and are darker even. My favorite seasons after the Zordon-era (And Zordon-era seasons do not all outrank all them if I tried to list them) are Time Force, Dino Thunder, SPD, and RPM. But on the other hand those are contained within each series and barely held together in the larger long running continuity by the seasonal crossover episodes and small details in the lore of Power Rangers. Don't get me wrong, that's part of the appeal but MMPR 1-Lost Galaxy are the core of mythos and I have a special love for MMPR S3-Space They do have a few long story lines in them. With Lost Galaxy naturally I liked Karone formerly Astronema who is the main big bad of Space taking Kendrix's place and the redemption story they had going there with her. Its a really nice continuation from where Space left off. Lost Galaxy was uniquely dark in tone between Magna Defender being driven by revenge for his murdered son, sacrifices, and deaths but I just find the first half of it before the Space Rangers crossover boring.

I have to admit I have some catching up to do. Power Rangers Samurai was so god awful even for Power Rangers I stopped watching.

I guess Power Rangers fills for me whatever Transformers filled for people in the 80s. I've only seen a bit of each series except Transformers Prime which I think is right behind TCW for a great action animated series. I would certainly have to turn in my cartoon lover cap though if I said I didn't love Tom and Jerry, and Spongebob.

9. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    A little while ago I made a list of who I thought were the top 10 most powerful superheroes, and looking back on it, I was completely wrong. So I've been researching and discussing Marvel and DC ever since, and now here's what I think.

1. Galactus
    2. Thanos
    3. Phoenix Force
    4. Odin
    5. Apocalypse
    6. Doomsday
    7. Superman
    8. Silver Surfer
    9. Thor
    10. General Zod

I haven't included any insanely powerful characters like One-Above-All, Living Tribunal and Infinity, as they're the characters that could just clap their hands and destroy existence itself, so it'd be quite unfair on the other characters.

Tell me what you think comic fans :)

10. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I would say Darkseid would belong there somewhere, probably before either Zod or Superman. He's the type of villain that usually requires the Justice League to take down.

I'm slowly but surely getting into Marvel. Particularly X-Men, though I was reading Rick Remender's run on Venom and afterward until I hit the "Minimum Carnage" story arc which was just dreadful and I couldn't finish. I guess that doesn't come as a surprise because I didn't like the "Maximum Carnage" arc from the 90s either.

Jack O' Lantern is one of the best, most despicable villains I've seen in fiction in a long time, and yet has a certain dark humor about him. His thing is that he apparently cuts off the tops of his victims' heads, scoops out the insides, and then puts a candle in to light up their head.

I'm liking Marvel more and more from reading them, though still disappointed in a fair share of the films.

I bought the DC collected edition of Trinity, vol 1 by Kurt Busiek blindly since it was a Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman comic by an author whose other work I've enjoyed quite well... but oh man is it bad. I didn't get a third of the way through it and have been meaning to just suck it up and read it out of guilt for having had bought it.

The last think I've read by DC was Lex Luthor: Man of Steel, a miniseries where Luthor is the main character and it sort of gets into his head as to why he hates Superman and that he actually wants the best for mankind, though will go to lengths that aren't worth the price to turn opinion against Superman. I'm not sure if it was part of the concurrent continuity or not, since the villain Toy Man was depicted as a pedophile, which just seems a little dark for a mainstream Superman comic. Still, Lex does meet up with Bruce Wayne at one point and give him Kryptonite, and just the way Luthor is depicted makes me hope that they do something similar for the character in the next film, assuming Luthor appears.

I'm currently reading Marvel's X-Men: Battle of the Atom, and DC's Forever Evil. I'm 3 issues into the former, and so far so good, there has only been one issue of the latter, so it's too soon to tell.

On an unrelated note, yesterday I bought Europa Universalis IV, and I've got to say that I'm a little surprised that such a gem of a series - especially among grand strategy games - is so often overlooked to the point that virtually nobody that I know has ever heard of it. I could only hope for a Star Wars strategy game with as much depth, but I think that would target a niche audience that LucasArts would never be caught catering to.

Essentially the game can be played from any year between 1444 and 1820 and the world map changes according to the starting year to accurately show what countries existed at that time and how big/small they are, and with players being able to pick anyone on the map. So you can play as Ming China with the Manchu to the north in 1444, or you can jump to a later year after the Machu had invaded and established the Qing dynasty. You can be Spain and race for the New World in 1444 (or even race there as someone that did not do so historically, like Norway), or if you jump to late in the game, the 13 American colonies show up among British possessions in North America, etc. And then there is a steep learning curve in learning how to manage finances and armies and diplomacy, and it's pretty much just a sandbox.

As someone that likes history and also just likes to go off into alternate histories (like being the Ottomans, sailing around Africa and colonizing East Asia before the Europeans), I find ridiculous enjoyment in that kind of game.

11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    [face_sick] Well, I guess I don't see them putting him in a movie anytime soon.

07jonesj likes this.
  12. SeparatistFan

Oct 19, 2012
    [quote="Wow, so you haven't seen any of the Zordon era? Nothing really wrong with that. Many of the seasons that follow Space are much more sophisticated (far as PR goes) with better storylines with overarching continuity, interesting characters, and are darker even. My favorite seasons after the Zordon-era (And Zordon-era seasons do not all outrank all them if I tried to list them) are Time Force, Dino Thunder, SPD, and RPM. But on the other hand those are contained within each series and barely held together in the larger long running continuity by the seasonal crossover episodes and small details in the lore of Power Rangers. Don't get me wrong, that's part of the appeal but MMPR 1-Lost Galaxy are the core of mythos and I have a special love for MMPR S3-Space They do have a few long story lines in them. With Lost Galaxy naturally I liked Karone formerly Astronema who is the main big bad of Space taking Kendrix's place and the redemption story they had going there with her. Its a really nice continuation from where Space left off. Lost Galaxy was uniquely dark in tone between Magna Defender being driven by revenge for his murdered son, sacrifices, and deaths but I just find the first half of it before the Space Rangers crossover boring.

I have to admit I have some catching up to do. Power Rangers Samurai was so god awful even for Power Rangers I stopped watching.

Nope, I've noticed MMPR on TV before, but never given it much attention, I could see myself liking the later seasons of the Zordan era a lot since I think they are more like Lost Galaxy in terms of having a dark tone. I find it a shame how when seasons like SPD and Operation Overdrive end, that's pretty much the last you see of those characters. After the Zordan era things ended up getting too predictable where the villains would be finished at the end of each season. On the other hand though that way has allowed for a lot of nice original stories to be made.[/quote]

13. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    SeparatistFan, There is a condensed episode guide available for MMPR which is a different animal from the rest of PR and very episodic. It does make me want to bash my head against something with how corny it is when I rewatch it. I rarely rewatch anything earlier than season 3. The condensed version cuts it down to pretty much Tommy, Billy, and Kimberly's character arcs, Rita and Zedd's arc, and the build up for Zeo. You do lose Bulk and Skull's arc going that way which is kinda pickle since they end up having one of my favorite character arcs going from bumbling bullies to heroes at the end of Space. I'd say start with that then go through Zeo-Space if you ever want got back to watch the Zordon era. Turbo is uniquely bad but it pays off in Space. Power Rangers is not something I've ever watched for a dark tone. To me its just kiddish, campy fun and occasionally a hot guy (=P). I actually enjoy how disconnected and swiss cheese-like the continuity is while being built on a surprisingly great mythology because its fun trying to put it all together which is pretty much all anyone ever chats about on a PR forum. All other series end after a season but most of them still work together in PR's long running continuity which builds the mythos further. As I said I enjoy several seasons after Space and Lost Galaxy.

14. SeparatistFan

Oct 19, 2012
    Seerow MMPR S3 seems like the best place for me to start, thanks for the advice. PR is one of the best shows I know of for using the villains well and giving them a decent amount of screen time, it also has a very decent amount of action. What other TV shows do you like? I like Green Lantern TAS, Thundercats (2011) and Transformers Prime to name a few.

15. aldrestjedimaster

aldrestjedimaster Jedi Master star 1

Sep 4, 2012
    This is a very good list! I would look also look at a few other people to put in this list like Anti-Monitor (technically he is the DC version of Galactus) Parallax (Fear itself) and I would also suggest checking out the Omega level mutants. It is so hard to put together a top 10 of the most powerful people from both DC and Marvel, but good work!

Jordan1Kenobi likes this.
  16. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Today is "Talk Like a Pirate Day"? Arrrr, shows what I know!

So here's a tribute to the coolest pirate of the GFFA!

[​IMG]

"Insolence? We are pirates, we don't even know what that means!"

Avast! Never change, Hondo, you scurvy old Weequay!

Sgt Crowfield and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  17. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Posted this in another forum, but I think it would be better appreciated here:

18. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
  19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That video was both hilarious and sad, sad because of how far innocent Anakin went downhill.

We totally needed Van Halen playing in the background during the Battle of Yavin though, and the stormtrooper musings and Porkins "about to be turned into orange goo"... [face_laugh]

20. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    AHHH!
    [​IMG]

21. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    How's it going, SWTV? It's been a while since I stopped by here.

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Hey, you. [:D] I was afraid you'd disappeared in some Mass Effect void. Stop in more often.

23. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    I'll try.

That's a fancy avatar you've got. What's the story behind it?

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It's the logo for the University of North Carolina Tarheels. :D

Seerow likes this.
  25. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    All I'm hearing and seeing everywhere lately is Grand Theft Auto V and IOS 7. Does anyone has either or both of them? I do, but GTA V is put away for Christmas, because I'll probably get no university work done if I start playing it now, but then again, I hardly do any work at home, so hopefully I'll start playing it this weekend. It looks amazing! Mostly because of how big the map is and how much there is to do.

My first thought when I downloaded IOS 7 was "WTF has happened to my phone!?", but now I really like it. The look and function is much more modern and looks really cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.