main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Weapons in SW: Question and discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Gamiel, Aug 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Can you give a bit more concrete examples? bitte

That actually made them less cool to me:(

Sarge likes this.
  2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Has the EU ever had a magnetically sealed weapon vs a lightsaber?

If Luke had his lightsaber in the trash compactor, that would mean it couldn't cut a magnetically sealed hatch. So if I couldn't get a lightsaber to parry my enemy's lightsaber, I'd try to adapt magnetic seal technology to a sword.

3. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Imho they should have just gone with Doublebladed Lightsabers and also made them cyborgs, but what is done is done.

Maybe he did not really get around to trying it or did not think of it.

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    they look more like some kind of power/force field or possibly electrified weapons than vibro-weapons.

Aww, come on! Is there any explanation why the axe is not in twain from hitting her 'saber?

Imho?

[/quote]
    Maybe he did not really get around to trying it or did not think of it.[/quote]

I agree

5. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Electrified vibro weapons? [face_dunno]

Properly coated in some protective material as the Warlord mentioned he had it specially made to against a lightsaber.

In my humble opinion. Or if I am not completely off in german "Meiner bescheidenen Meinung nach" though feel free to correct that if it is wrong, been ages since I used German for anything but swearing. :p

6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I can accept those explanations

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do we have any explanation for how amphistaffs can block lightsabers? Also am I alone in feeling that they are a bit overpowered?

8. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    There's a lot of creatures whose hides block lightsabers. Taozin, fireworms, Zillo beasts, tikulini.

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Interesting but that was not the question I asked

10. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Amphistaffs are the same thing as taozins, fireworms, Zillos, and tikulinis. They have lightsaber-resistant hides.

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Yes but that was not my question: I was wondering if we have any explanation how the amphistaffs are lightsaber-resistant

12. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
  13. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    In that case...

14. The Compeer

The Compeer Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 12, 2013
    Because the Vong weren't powerful enough? :rolleyes: On the other hand, considering the level of incompetence/vacillation/treason they needed to get as far as they did, maybe they did need that extra edge. Oh, and you can't have sci-fi without sword fights, so there's that, too.

15. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    If you think about it, the Vong wouldn't be very much of a threat at all if the Jedi could just cut their weapons apart.

16. The Compeer

The Compeer Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 12, 2013
    And the Lord said: "Let there be grenade analogs. Let there be artillery analogs. Let there be airstrike and orbital bombardment analogs." Seriously, there's so much shrapnel and fire and other random hazards on a modern battlefield that Jedi really don't belong on the front lines. Granted, they've been shown up there, but that doesn't make a lot of sense if you consider that there's more than riflemen up there to threaten them.

17. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    The romanticism of the sword fight would be RUINED. The Jedi can't deflect Yuuzhan Vong projectiles and they can't sense where they're coming from besides a general danger sense, their saving grace is they aren't fast projectiles and that the Yuuzhan Vong warriors prefer melee. Giving the Yuuzhan Vong a lightsaber resistant melee weapon is the best way to even them out.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  18. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    Are you sure? i thought all the novels were considered expanded universe.

19. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012

I think it's something like any material in the novels that comes straight from Lucas is G-canon but the rest is C-canon. How we're supposed to know what came from Lucas, I have no idea.

20. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    According to Stover, everything that was taken out of the novels, Lucas wanted out. Everything left in, Lucas wanted in.

21. kubricklynch

Dec 10, 2012

Well, if I'm not mistaken, Lucasfilm makes (made?) a distinction between something that came specifically from Lucas (such as the history of the Sith in the TPM novel) and something that an author came up with and Lucas simply didn't object to. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure most people here have much greater EU knowledge than myself.

22. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    In the case of the ROTS novel, Stover sent Lucas himself his final draft, and Lucas removed the stuff he didn't want and changed the stuff he wanted changed. Everything else he left alone; whether because he didn't care or he specifically wanted it there, it doesn't matter. He didn't erase it so he at least didn't disapprove of it, or he would've erased it.

23. kubricklynch

Dec 10, 2012

So basically the ROTS novel is higher canon than the rest of the novelizations?

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    With the proviso that, when it comes to scenes in both the novel and the movie, that have different dialogue, movie dialogue is canon and book dialogue noncanon.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    To bad, it feels, to me at least, that one of the first things the jedi and/or Republic should do after they had taken down some of the vong is to send its arms and armour to a research and development group/department (which would be an excellent place for YJK Jaina and Jacen to be in my eyes, an enimal- and an tech-empath with force link working together) who would (probably off-screen) analyse the vongs tech and later give the heroes some tech-babble explanation to how/why the vong are so powerful.
    Also the Jedi RnD should use this new knowledge to create some kind of "great-lightsaber" that could cut through the vongs defences. In my mind this "great-lightsaber" (maybe star- or novasaber would be better names) should have a longer handle to store more energy and a blade that gloves so strongly that its wielder would need protecting goggles

New Question: how do stun bolts effect vong tech?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.