main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Buff, NY March of the Snow-Mandos!

Discussion in 'Buffalo, NY' started by Darth Erebus, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Wild Sidewalker

Wild Sidewalker Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I think I'm going to try to make a Mando that would "pass muster" for the Mercs but I am not going to sweat it either; if it ends up not satisfactory for the Merc requirements, oh well.

As to foam sculpting, no, I've only read over how some work with it. I figured I'd play a bit at the workshop; Doug said he'd love to get examples of "the learning curve" in armor building and I am happy to oblige. ;)

In a similar vein, what are people thinking when it comes to the flak vest? The Mercs FAQ indicates that MOLLE/TAC and paintball style vests may be used without any modification other than the armor pieces covering it. But, looking at them on-line, I don't see the advantage to those versus modifying a pleather jacket as per a forum discussion on it:

http://mercs.firespray.net/forum/index.php?topic=28740.0

Thoughts?

2. 72Princess

72Princess Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 15, 2010
    I had a link to a tutorial on foam sculpting a while back. Will look for it.

I have read several articles on Worbla vs Sintra as well, and they really vary in opinion. And they all have their pros and cons. It really comes down to personal
    preference.
    Personally, from my experience, Worbla has to be heated quite a bit to soften enough to mold. Getting warm and "unmolded" is not a concern I have. It was quit hot at the Bisons game and my armor and Bobas new pieces held up perfectly. Honestly, I wished it would have loosened up around the neck a bit!
    Now, I would not leave it in my front seat of my car in Texas, but for our purposes, I am not too concerned. Especially since the overall pieces we are sculpting are smaller, with the exception of the back piece.
    One Cosplayer who works primarily with Worbla does travel with her heat gun and extra d rings. I will too. I happen to know a Boba who travels with a repair kit! ;-)

Of course, if you don't like the Worbla once you work with it, I (and probably a few others) would be happy to take it off your hands. ;-) ,especially since I have been such an advocate.

3. BigDanLevitan

BigDanLevitan Jedi Master star 5

Jun 26, 2005
    The question about foam I have is this, are we referring to making a suit like I did out of the foam mats or are we talking about spray expandable foam?

The foam mats are rather easy to use and are sculpt able with a heat gun and some patience. Plus with a little love from a dremel or exacto knife you can do some amazing things. The con is the stuff is big and bulky and at times annoying. Plus you have to seal it with a coat of paint on plastic to get paint to adhere to it.

Expandable foam I've never used personally. Although I read some people make a mold of sorts with it and then use the mold to press armor. I've never seen it done but I am intrigued.

4. BigDanLevitan

Jun 26, 2005
    And to clarify I'm not against making a MERC approvable mando, as I am making a MERC mando myself. It's just not my snow mando ...

I don't want folks to think I'm against it because I'm not.

5. Otto_den_Ktulu

Otto_den_Ktulu North Ridge Event Coordinator star 5

Jan 19, 2002
    Seeing as I did not make it on the worbla order, does anyone know where I can get sintra locally, if at all? And what it might cost? I'm debating at the moment making a storage tote Mando (with the exception of the helmet), but if the cost really isn't that different, then I would love to work with something a bit more cos-accepted. And if I can't get it locally, I may have to stick to doing the helmet on the construction day at the museum.

6. BigDanLevitan

Jun 26, 2005
    Chris, I may have something that may work for you helmet wise......

Sintra you can get at Great Lakes plastic on broadway by the sheet. I'm not sure the cost off hand but if memory serves is about $90 for a sheet

7. Otto_den_Ktulu

Otto_den_Ktulu North Ridge Event Coordinator star 5

Jan 19, 2002
    Yeah, gonna have to stick to storage tote material.

8. BigDanLevitan

Jun 26, 2005
    It wouldn't hurt to check them out anyway. They seem to always have smaller sizes cheap.

9. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    I was talking about carving blocks and sheets of foam.

Also, to be clear, the workshop on 9/29 is the first of many until the maker's fair in March.

10. jediprof

jediprof Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2009
    Shouldn't have put in that last part...Long day and have a bunch of other frustrating stuff going on and I didn't mean it to sound like I was putting the blame on anyone except myself for not doing enough research before I ordered it. I'm sure I'll find a use for it if I don't want to use it for the armor.
    However, Anna's comments how your costume held up so well at the Bison's game is extremely re-assuring. I think traveling with a heat gun is probably a good idea just the same. From everything I have read, there is no "perfect" armor material. I think I will likely go with the worbla. Still need to watch some more tutorials.

11. BigDanLevitan

Jun 26, 2005
    Bill, I will bring some of my foam so you can take a look at what I'm taking about.

12. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    Okay, given these responses, I am going to see if we can essentially commit the North Ridge to the Maker's Fair in March. If that is okay, I will formally reply to Doug with the initial participants list and agreement to use the workshop starting September 29. Also, given the museums interest in "makers" I hope everyone on this list won't be opposed to opening up the workshop use to any club member who wants to build in it.

13. 72Princess

Jun 15, 2010
    I am definitely in for the Makers event in March. The workshop has always had the intent to be open to everyone in the North Ridge who wants to build, anything. I think a separate thread with the info is a great idea!! This way people who are not working on the Snow Mando clan costumes are included as well. Thanks again for setting all of this up!!!

14. jediprof

Jul 14, 2009
    I am in for the Makers event in March as well (was already in my calendar). : )
    Thanks for organizing this, Bill. What a neat opportunity for us all.

15. 72Princess

Jun 15, 2010
    March 1st? I cannot find the date...

16. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    "Makers' Fair, Saturday, March 1, 2014, 1-4 PM is the family event, 4-6 PM participants dinner, 6-9 PM adults only event. We would be the only "cosplayers" there; other makers of things, seamstresses, bakers, crafters, programmers, robot builders (that is evil geniuses) will also be invited. Formal ads will be out after the event is fully green lit."

72Princess likes this.
  17. JDuffPhoto

JDuffPhoto Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 3, 2010
    Thank you. I really do prefer "evil genius" to pharmacist anyday. And since I plan on building a new R2 Droid-in-ator, I may jump in on the workshops once I start ordering supplies. Probably won't happen till early December.

Wild Sidewalker likes this.
  18. jediprof

Jul 14, 2009
    Anna, starting to get more specific ideas about the costume. Leaning away from a codpiece. It seems like we have a pretty good amount of leeway for the flight suit.
    The flak vest might be a bit tricky... Having a hard time finding specific tutorials on the flight suit--most links seem to be broken on the mando mercs page. Let me know if you find any good pics/ideas you like.

19. BigDanLevitan

Jun 26, 2005
    You could always check out the 501st as there is a link there for more mando related things. Plus they can point you in the direction of the bounty hunters guild detachment as well. That's the official detachment for boba and Jango fett

20. jediprof

Jul 14, 2009
    Thanks for the suggestion. :)

21. 72Princess

Jun 15, 2010
  22. 72Princess

Jun 15, 2010
  23. 72Princess

Jun 15, 2010
    Honestly, I have not had much time to work on the design. I have many ideas. But have not done much research. I have time tonight and will do some homework.
    I have note researched the FLAK vest but I know AJ's Boba is a simple design.

Michelle- do you have time tomorrow night (TUES) for a phone call? I would like to be as prepared as we can be for Sunday and as much on the same page as we can.

24. 72Princess

Jun 15, 2010
    ME TOO

25. 72Princess

Jun 15, 2010
    You can use my heat gun - its an off the shelf 25ish$ one from Home Depot. Test in on Sunday and see what you think