main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Cafe Diem Baby: The Nintendo Wii U Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 14, 2011.

1. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    That would be great.

I've been holding off upgrading to a 3DS XL until/if they announce a special version of the console for ALBW though a Link piece would be fitting too. Come to think of it... we had the Ocarina special for OoT, the Golden Wii-mote and Orchestral Soundtrack for SS and now Ganondorf for TWW HD... I'm curious to see what they'll do next.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I'm also hoping an XL ALBW special bundle is announced, though I'm resigned to assume it'll only be a regular 3DS probably and, thus, force me to miss out on it as I can only afford one.

3. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    They did it for Fire Emblem so it makes sense for them to it with ALBW but we'll see.

Apparently TWW HD Bundles are not planned at this point in time to come to Australia... but hopefully they'll change their minds otherwise I might have to import from the UK.

4. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Hm, don't really care for a Ganondorf statue- although a digital copy of Hyrule Historia sounds tempting, but no, not getting that bundle. Don't think they're selling an electronic copy of the Historia anywhere yet.

A lot of confirmed release dates today. When I first saw that there were Mario and Link titles both on November 22, I was afraid that was Black Friday- but its one week before that, so won't have to compete with the crowds at least. Glad to see both will be out before that weekend too, they'll probably sell well.

5. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Anyone know why the SNES Donkey Kong games aren't on the virtual console anymore?

6. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    There is no definitive reason for their removal as they were silently pulled last year. They might be planning something or could be a technical or licensing issue... they haven't publicly given a reason.

EDIT: As a side note, DuckTales Remastered is a really good title. High production value and is fun to play. Some parts can be a bit tricky but that is to be expected. People seems to complain about the cinematics but they probably didn't stop to see that all you have to do is hit start and then 'A' and you'll skip them in no time.

7. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    That sucks, I had DK on my old Wii. I didn't know games were taken off the virtual console at all.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Picked up Rayman Legends today. Felt a bit weird playing this one whilst Origins remains unplaced on my shelf but I'll get to it eventually.

It's a great extension of the Challenge App so I pretty much knew what I was getting into. Absolutely GORGEOUS game! I am ridiculously in love with the Ubi Art Framework (I'm still waiting for it to be made available to other developers- last I checked it still wasn't).

The Gamestop edition also came with an AC4 skin for the Viking girl. Castle Rock is much more satisfying when you play it with a long-haired character dressed in Viking armor and wielding an axe. I'd love to do a multiplayer round of it with all her versions/sister to make it a proper Viking metal band, hehe.

The Murfy levels using the GamePad ended up being much more challenging than I had anticipated- there is A LOT to keep track of on top of pushing your reflexes. It's very fun but I'm glad those levels are spaced out- if the whole game was like that, I think it'd just be too intense and you'd get worn out by it quickly.

Whats also pleasant is that they don't interurpt the flow of the platforming (except for the first 2 or so Murfy stages that are more tutorials. Once you get past them is when it has that hectic flow I'm talking about), which was a concern of mine (and, going by reviews, is what has happened to the non-Wii U versions since they require buttons pressing combinations).

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Do a barrel roll!

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  11. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Agreed! Child of Light looks beautiful! I love the art direction and elements reminds me of a cross between Trine 2 and Paper Mario.

I do wish that more of their recently announced titles were coming over too but I am glad this is coming our way

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    In today's Nintendo Direct, they announced Wii Sports Club- basically an HD upgrade of Wii Sports with online multiplayer and leaderboard standings. What is neat is that you can buy it piecemeal for $10 a game, so you can stick to Tennis, Bowling and Baseball and save 10 bucks by avoiding the golf game and maybe the boxing game.

They also went into Wii Fit U- with an interesting digital model: if you have a balance board already, you'll be able to download a one-month trial of the full game before it's actually released, anytime between Nov and the end of January. And if you buy the pedometer accessory, you'll get to keep the free version forever. Which basically means you're getting the game for free by buying an accessory people who this is targeted at would probably buy anyways.

EDIT- Also, here's a look at the GamePad battery pack upgrade coming out.

13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    While you are playing on your Nintendo today, raise a glass to Hiroshi Yamauchi, who took a small collectible trading card company and made it into the video game giant Nintendo of today. Yamauchi ran the company from 1949 to 2002, and has now passed away at the age of 85. RIP Hiroshi.. @};-

07jonesj and TiniTinyTony like this.
  14. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    It's too sad, the passing of a legendary figure.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    As a heads-up: a new Nintendo Direct will be streaming tomorrow (Oct 1st) at 10 am EST. It's focused on Wii U/3DS games coming out by the end of the year, so expect more on Mario 3D, DKTF, ALBW & Pokemon, I would imagine.

EDIT- New Firmware upgrade for the Wii U has gone live.

Version 4.0.0 U, available via an Internet connection, includes the following improvements:
    New Features:
    • A feature to output video and sound to the Wii U GamePad when using Wii Mode¹ Users can choose to output to the TV and GamePad, or just the TV
    • A feature to automatically receive recommended software and demo titles from Nintendo using SpotPass
    • Support for USB keyboards
    • An option to disable use of a Nintendo Network ID on non-Nintendo hardware, such as PCs and smartphones
    • Support for Dolby® Pro Logic® II Surround Sound when playing Wii software Changes to Wii U Menu:
    • Added a friend list icon to the Wii U Menu for easier access to the Friend List Changes to System Settings:
    • An option to automatically receive recommended software is now available under "Internet"
    • A setting to select which cable outputs sound is available through "TV"
    • Users can choose to output sound through an HDMI cable, non-HDMI cable, or both cables at the same time. Click here for instructions
    • A setting to adjust the hourly interval in which standby functions are performed is available under "Power Settings" when Standby Functions are enabled Changes to Wii U Chat:
    • Added the option to view a friend's profile on Miiverse when sending or receiving a chat request
    • Users can now chat using a headset connected to the Wii U GamePad Changes to Internet Browser:
    • Pressing the R or L Buttons on the Wii U GamePad will skip video playback forward/back a small amount of time
    • Holding the R Button will speed up video playback Ability to save username and passwords for websites that require login²
    • Ability to launch the Internet Browser during gameplay and upload screenshots Added support for viewing PDF files³
    • Added features intended for website developers that allow the user to enable developer tools and set user agent Improvements to system stability and usability:
    • Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience
    You apparently still need to use a Wiimote when playing Wii games off of the GamePad, but you can just use that GamePad stand that came with the system (and I think it has a Wiimote sensor in it as well, which makes it more effective as an off-screen option).

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The neat stuff: Mario 3D World has cherries that lets you multiply your character to control duplicates at the same time, there's also Goomba Mario and various forms of Block Mario (some let you shoot like a cannon, others make a trail of coins for you). There's also a return to the Big Boot, in a way- though this time it's an ice skate.

Pikmin 3 is getting a revised global high score chart, a free mission pack and new paid DLC mission packs.

The Sonic/Mario Olympic game will have global medal rankings sorted by country, which I think is [retty neat as far as these things go.

The cool: Sonic is back in Smash Bros. There'll be item crafting elements in the 3DS version of Sonic Lost Worlds that can be brought over into the U version.

There'll also be Mario and Luigi themed Wiimote pluses available. The Olympics game will also have a version with a pack-in light blue Wiimote Plus.

The sucky: DK TF is being delayed until Feb! :(

17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Aw, no Snake though? Figures. Of course, at this point Sonic is less of a third-party character and more of a recurring guest/star of Nintendo games.

18. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Sad that Donkey Kong has been delayed until next year, that was one of my more anticipated games. Well, there's still Mario and Zelda of course, but I'm an old DKC fan, and Retro Games has been a very good studio.

And while its a few weeks late to mention here, just wanted to add that it was sad to hear about Yamauchi's death, he was president for so many legendary years.

I think I heard that Wii production is going to stop, at least in Japan, but with them focusing on the Wii U, that's no surprise. Gotta try to play some Wii games on the Gamepad later, see how that works.

19. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    For those curious, the complete October Nintendo Direct is here:

I feel the same as you all about the delay with Donkey Kong though Mario really does looks great and Sonic Lost Worlds too.

Todd the Jedi they are staggering the announcements of characters so we won't know if Snake will be in this new one until closer to release date. Plenty of time for them to announce him if he is.

With the latest firmware update, I decided to take the Wii side of things for a spin to test out the gamepad play. All content from the screen is streamed to the gamepad, sound too. GoldenEye 007 wasn't quite the right game to test out due to the smaller screen with the aiming so I tried Skyward Sword and got to play it in the other room. It is a bit surreal but I think it is pretty neat and can be handy down the track.

Also finished DuckTales Remastered. I love it and want more (sequel please or Duckwing Duck/ Rescue Rangers/ etc). Still got a lot of stuff to unlock though. For those that haven't played it or curious, I recommend checking it out. There is a lot of charm and work put in to the title, the art direction is great and sound design too. Some of the music is really catchy and the voice acting takes me back to the cartoons. It can be hard at times but not DKCR level of difficulty. Can't remember if I had mentioned it before but if you aren't into the cutscenes, just hit '+' and 'A' to skip them.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  21. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I downloaded Wii Fit U and I can't figure out how to install the stupid thing.

EDIT - Nevermind, I found Download Management screen and it's still downloading.

22. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Wii Fit U is a lot of fun, be sure to get the Wii Fit Meter to accompany it as well. :)

23. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    Anyone check this out?:

Being a fan of the classic Rareware adventure games like Banjo Kazooie and DK64, this seems preety interesting.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The Year of Luigi closes out on a sad note: Super Show Luigi Actor Passes Away. :(

Game Over, Player 2 (actually, since Captain Lou is also gone, I guess it's really Game Over overall as well). Despite it's short run, the SMBSS's goofy fun was a big part of the late 80's/early 90's, so while he may not have had the widest of careers beyond this, I salute him!

25. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    That is a sad note to end the year of Luigi on. I remember enjoying that show after school in the afternoons and I still remember some of that theme song. DuckTales was great too.

Come to think of it, May this year did marked the 20th anniversary of the Super Mario Bros. film. Could only imagine what that live action Metroid could have been like.