main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode VII Release Date Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ManaByte, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth_saruman12345

darth_saruman12345 Jedi Youngling

Sep 13, 2013
    anyone who thinks this is being delayed to 2016 is an idiot how many times do they have to.say 2015

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    To play devil's advocate, wouldn't Fresh Star Wars toys at X-Mas be an incentive to release it in Nov / Dec? Brand spankin' new, and full priced, toys!

3. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012

The people screaming a 2016 release date are the ones who haven't adjusted to the fact it simply doesn't take as long to make a Star Wars movie as they used too whether they admit it or not. Lack of announcements are just JJ Abrams' style.

Krueger and The Hellhammer like this.
  4. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Blockbuster movies don't come out in April so that is highly unlikely. See my post a few pages back about April releases. Avengers is the main Disney cash cow, it's not moving for anything unless it's production related. Star Wars isn't moving it.

5. darth_saruman12345

Sep 13, 2013
    the captain america sequel is being released in april 2014

i am familar with Abrams style being a huge fan of alias and fringe but we usually have a release date by now

6. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    George Lucas just took his time. Too much time, some would say (me). But yes, you don't need three years to make any movie, regardless of the scale of it. Quality of the films aside, I don't think anyone can call into question the sheer scale and scope of the Transformers films. Yet Michael Bay made three with two year gaps with no problems. James Cameron (to use a perfect example) just likes to sit on his ass most of the time. No way you need five, six (or even more) years between films. Although, with all the Avatar sequels coming out, it looks as though he’s (finally) going to be making up for lost time. A bit like Tarantino. Episode 7 could easily make a summer 2015 release and not be rushed in the slightest. Of course, I personally think we're now looking at a December 2015 release, but my point still stands.

7. jasman

jasman Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 29, 1998
    Wednesday, May 20, 2015.

jasman has spoken.

8. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    With Finding Dory coming out of the late November window it could open the door for EP7 in early December either the 4th or 11th but I'm still going with Wed the 27th of May - I think the biggest clue is no other franchise is put anything in there as I think they realise that's the most probable date for EP7.............

9. TheTwinSuns

TheTwinSuns Jedi Master star 3

Apr 26, 2013
    Either May 20th or the 27th. They could give the Avengers 2 an extra week, but the 20th and with the Friday being the 22nd, leaves it to open over Memorial Day Weekend, which gives Episode VII an extra day.

10. KED12345

Sep 10, 2012
    Disney is moving movies left and right, Finding Dory has been pushed to 2016, Captain America is aiming for a July 4th 2014 release date, etc.

If Avengers 2 moves up a week or two to April then that'll guarantee Episode VII for May 2015.

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    To be fair, Avengers was released in April in not-North America.

12. KED12345

Sep 10, 2012
    Pretty much all of the Marvel/Avengers movies were released in April before the US, which was in May.

13. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    With Malficient moving I wouldn't be shocked if they move it to July 4th now.

14. Wampas_Have_Dandruff

Wampas_Have_Dandruff Jedi Master star 2

Dec 2, 2002
    I wouldn't MIND a December release because for some reason, I've always associated Christmas with Star Wars. Maybe it's my Hallmark ornaments. :) If the Episodes stay in May, perhaps the spin-off films can come in December. The end of the Middle Earth movies will leave a gap in holiday geekdom that should be filled!

15. Darth_Panicius

Darth_Panicius Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 7, 2013
    You would think so, but it doesn't actually work like that.

If E7 is released November/December, then they would loss an awful lot of revenue from Christmas Sales. Merchandise would need to start hitting the stores by end October at the very latest (but September is the preferred time) in order to fully capitalise on the Christmas Season.

If you look at movies generally released during that period, they are movies that generally don't usually sell a huge amount of merchandise, especially to children (Titanic, Avatar, predicted Oscar winners, etc.) This is one of the reasons the majority of kids/family movies are released over the Summer period.

16. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    May is an American movie phenomenon. Seems like it doesn't matter in other countries.

Captain America NEEDS to be moved to summer 2014. Next summer has some dry spots so being part of the Marvel empire, CA needs a strong summer release.

As far as the toys go, it is an interesting marketing idea. Toys don't usually have a 6-month span any more like they did in 1978 (all the Star Wars toys were released a year after the movie).

Maybe, just maybe, they are waiting for the one-year anniversary of the Disney buy out before they give us a truck load of info.

17. darth_saruman12345

Sep 13, 2013

wuere did u hear captain America was being moved i canf find that on any website i trust

18. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    If Independence Day 2 is moved to 2016 (looking VERY likely) then I wonder if Jurassic Park would be moved to the July 4th weekend release slot. That would be a smart move. Jurassic Park has lost ground in the past 10 years, but could get a HUGE boost with a July 4th release. That also moves it further past the May releases and enough in front of the Superman/Batman project which is sure to monopolize the latter half of summer through Labor Day (sorry Ant-Man fans!)

Terminator is due in June but will have a MUCH lower following than other summer releases.

And the move would give Star Wars more room to wiggle. It's a win-win situation for both Star Wars and Jurassic Park if JP were to take the July 4th weekend slot.

As for Pixar movies, schedules can't be arranged around the supposed release dates for projects that haven't been officially announced. I don't know anything about this "Inside Out" thing.

19. KED12345

Sep 10, 2012

Correction - Captain America could move to July 4th weekend.

20. Rox

Nov 24, 2000

A piece saying it should move to July 4th...
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...d-move-captain-america-2-to-july-4th-weekend/

I read it on boxofficemojo.com too but can't find the link. Plus it just fits. Captain America and Independence Day go together pretty well.

21. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Right now, besides Avengers 2, the only other schedule movie release for May 2015 is 'Monster Trucks". I doubt that's a threat, considering that it's by Paramount and the only other animation they released was Rango.

22. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
  23. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    I've been saying May 20th ever since the false December rumor came out :p

24. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    Despicable Me: Minions 3D has moved into the spot vacated by Pirates 5 and will release on July 10th 2015.

It's a delay from December 19th, 2014.

25. Momotaros

Momotaros Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2013
    Hmm interesting. May to July going to be jamed packed. Maybe it's for the best if Star Wars is moved to the fall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.