main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Darth Vader unmasked in ROTJ

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Ord-Mantell70, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    Among those who saw the OT before the PT, who saw Darth Vader unmasked for the first time when watching ROTJ ?

Were you afraid of that moment, and what did you expect ?

I've always regreted I was able to see Vader's face before seeing the movie at the theatre, in a sticker album from ROTJ.

2. Stormtrooper Dave

Stormtrooper Dave Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 23, 2013
    Given the way the back of his head appeared in The Empire Strikes Back, I thought he'd be more monstrous looking.

darthfettus2015 and Sarge like this.
  3. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I hardly even remember my first time seeing *Anakin* unmasked. I was like 4. I know the version I first saw was before they removed Shaw's eyebrows though, because I remember being confused as to how he had eyebrows if he had no other hair...

4. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    i don't think i was that scared i first saw the special editions and i was 6. he dousn't really look like he was a burn victim.

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  6. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Same here. The back of Vader's head in ESB looks so veiny and bulbous. When we got to see Anakin's face in RotJ, I thought it was going to be really deformed, sorta Elephant-Man like.

7. Gray_Jedi R

Gray_Jedi R Jedi Youngling

Sep 17, 2013
    I was seven years old when I watched for first time. I think I was very surprised for Sebastian's eyes. They were so blue and so sad.

Despite the previous exchange of words between Luke and Vader, I guess I still think of him as a machine. Then, suddenly, seeing him so human... The pale face for lack of sunshine, the scars across his forehead and cranium, bald... and very especially, the eyes so full of regrets and ghost. Apologizing to his son. Dying without meeting his daughter...

That the moment Vade became my favorite movie character, a rank he still holds to date.

8. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Good old MAD Magazine, one of the most influential factors in my upbringing. I've remembered that "I think you're my uncle' line when watching ROTJ ever since.

Not to mention R2-D2's musings on C-3PO in their original Star Bores parody, which can't be quoted here...

CaptainHamYoyo likes this.
  9. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I just remember that after I came home from the theater, I remembered it wrong, and I thought that unmasked Vader was "a white version of Admiral Ackbar." A friend of mine, who hadn't seen the movie yet, asked me what Vader looked like under the mask, so I found a photo of Admiral Ackbar and said, "He looks just like this... but white."

10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I was holding my breath, expecting horrible grotesque scars like the back of his head. I was 17 then.

11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I was in fact spoiled as I had the novelization in hand and could not resist. It ruined nothing.

12. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

I couldn't resist either...

VadersLaMent likes this.
  13. DARTHKANISS

DARTHKANISS Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 8, 2004
    I always wondered why he was soo white almost albino like. I still do.

14. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    A little shocking at first, but he came across as surprisingly human. Of course, it only made me more curious as to how he got his injuries.

Ord-Mantell70 likes this.
  15. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    Well, when you're encapsulated in a suit from head to toe, and can't remove your helmet without a special artificial environment, you don't exactly have the luxury of a tanning salon.

Ord-Mantell70 and TX-20 like this.
  16. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    I was expecting a gaunt, skeletal-like face with a missing lower jaw, blasted off nose and large eyes.

I nearly covered my eyes when Luke took the mask off, and was relieved that there was a smiling, pale, happy, very-human face within.

Ord-Mantell70 likes this.
  17. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Over twenty years without natural light hitting your head, I think would cause you to be unnaturally pale.

18. AT-AT Walker

AT-AT Walker Jedi Youngling

Sep 20, 2013
    Exactly this. I was stunned when Luke removed Vader's helmet to reveal this old man who looked so sad and had so many regrets.

DarthScubbles and Sarge like this.
  19. markdeez33

markdeez33 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2013
    It was one of my all-time favorite scenes. As a kid, seeing it in the 90s, I was on the edge of my seat. As I got older, I loved Empire the most, but as a kid, Return of The Jedi was my favorite, and it was mostly because you get to see Vader. Powerful scene with him and Luke, as well.

Loupgarou and Ord-Mantell70 like this.
  20. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    [​IMG]

Early sketch for unmasked Vader. Not 100% sure when it dates to, think it might be ESB-era. OT-era, anyway.

21. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    I think Vader's Theme played on the harp does as much to set the feelings for this scene as does the actual visual appearance of Anakin.

22. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    blimey , where's that come from ?

23. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    Probably because his skin hadn't seen sunlight in years.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  24. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Cause most of it healed over time

25. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    Indeed, his ashy grey skin color makes sense not only because of lack of sunlight, but because he was placed into the suit directly after being burned alive, receiving zero skin grafts. So, his skin takes on the appearance of something that had been burned away: ash.