main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    As far as I know ID, yes the novellas are Broach and Bauchelain but I haven't read the Crack'd Pot one.

2. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I've never touched the novellas, actually. I did read Night of Knives (mehhhhhhhhh) and half of Return of the Crimson Guard (a bit better than NoK).

As for the cast, you will love book 3 (and book 3 is probably my favorite book in the series). And while Book 5 introduces a mostly new cast, the groups of casts have all pretty much converged by the end of Book 7 or so.

As for Raraku, it has nothing to do with Fener and everything to do with the center of the desert, where Sha'ik is based.

instantdeath likes this.
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The Healthy Dead is utter brilliance and worth buying the collection for.

4. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm almost finished with Book 3, and so far I'd agree it's easily the best in the series so far. Combines the fantastic prose, brilliant imagery and deeper philosophical undertones of Deadhouse Gates with the much more likable characters and more fluid pace of Gardens of the Moon.

As for Sha'ik, I wasn't sure what to make of Felisin's transformation. Erikson is very thorough in making you hate her guts (yet still feel sorry for her), and suddenly she becomes Jesus. I'd say that I'm interested in more light being shed on that in the next book, but this is Malazan we're talking about, so I'm not sure I should hold my breath for that light anytime soon...

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, I was referring to an online debate with someone who lives three floors above me so it does have an in-person dimension to it. But sure, I've had plenty of in-person debates too -- you forget who I am. :p

Academically, professionally, personally, family stuff etc -- the works. I am either reviled by both sides of the aisle or approved of by both sides, but either way, I rarely have issues with politics.

6. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I seem to recall sometimes people getting worked up over your Imperial posts here...

... which IIRC usually end with you enumerating points in Roman numerals, and the other guy POSTING IN ALL CAPS. [face_laugh]

AdmiralWesJanson and jSarek like this.
  7. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009

Oh, don't worry. Felisin is still a prick. House of Chains actually pretty neatly wraps up almost every plot thread from Deadhouse Gates, minus the drug trip journey through the warrens that Heboric, Felisin, Gesler and co. take. Most of that is explained in books 5 and 6.

As much as I am opposed to a TV adaptation of Malazan ever happening, due to my complaints with GoT, I would really, really love to see some of the stuff from Deadhouse Gates visualized, particularly the voyage of the Silanah. That voyage has almost as much foreshadowing and Chekov's guns as Daenerys' vision in the House of the Undying in ASOIAF.

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Sooo, have anybody else read Peter Bergting's Domovoi published by Dark Horse?

9. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Heh. That's my favorite image from Deadhouse Gates: surrounded by darkness, with a giant skeletal dragon that could likely swallow your entire ship whole looking directly at you... and they wave at him. One thing I really like about Erikson is that he's equally good with the larger-than-life stuff that puts the "epic" in epic fantasy, as well as the smaller comedic moments. There's a great moment early in Memories of Ice, where Paran wants Mallet to use magic to wake Quick Ben up from a warren induced coma. Mallet's reply is essentially, "sure, I can use magic", and starts slapping Quick until he wakes up.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, but that's different.

In real life I can't use Roman numerals with my fingers.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

11. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    I just got my one year trophy thing. Yay! :cool:

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  12. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Congrats LST! :)

Also, this is worth watching (the Tarkin part at 1:55 is worth it alone):

13. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Vader insulting Leia in Huttese is just great.

EDIT: for some reason, young Anakin's voice reminds me of Littlefoot.

14. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Oh god Littlefoot. I remember that bastard.

15. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Don't diss Littlefoot. His mom died; he's like the Anakin of the prehistoric age, only he's never allowed to grow up.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Littlefoot was such a jerk. Him and his clique making sure that the sharpteeth could never enter the great valley. Those racists :(

17. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    As much as I loved that show, literally all I can remember about it is their obsession with grass and hatred of anything with sharp teeth.

18. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    First of all it is a movie not a show. Second of all their obsession was with tree stars not grass.

Also Jello in the later movies they befriend a young t-rex. So stop dissing littlefoot.

/don't mess with my Land Before Time

Mobile sock of s65horsey

Gamiel and CT-867-5309 like this.
  19. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999

Just saying.

jSarek likes this.
  20. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Wasn't it like 12 movies? :p

21. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Yeah, I think I watched up to the seventh movie.

It did make me want to be a palaeontologist until I was about 16 or so.

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My kids watched Land Before Time.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to take my Geritol and put my teeth back in...

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, I know all about Chompers! They befriend him by taking him from his parents! So they're child-stealers too, him and his gang of thugs.

24. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

Littlefoot put an end to segregation in The Land Before Time. Before Littlefoot, three-horns never played with longnecks. Littlefoot's long neck was a bridge between species.

s65horsey likes this.
  25. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    They stopped numbering the movies after a while.

s65horsey likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.