main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC Your Personal Canon?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by SlashMan, Apr 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    I saw this was a thread a while back, but that was ancient, so I made a new one.

So in the Star Wars universe, there's the accepted canon that applies to the films and all EU works. I'm not going to restate the different levels, but some have more authority than others (i.e. the films). But with this thread, I'm just wondering what everyone personally goes by. Could be Lucasfilm's official canon, could just be the OOT, everyone's welcome to their own opinion.

For me, it's the latest versions of the films. I also follow the deleted scenes, so long as they don't contradict the movies in any way. I try to follow what the filmmaker's intended, like how Eeth Koth is the same as Agen Kolar, Adi Gallia is the same as Stass Allie, and so forth for Depa Billaba. Why have identical new characters come in and perform the same tasks as the old ones? Who knows. Another unneeded retroactive change to the movies was saying Lott Dodd was not present at Geonosis and saying it was Rune Haako all along. Smooth. Order 66 was also prone to retcons as well (I still believe Vader killed Shaak Tii).

I also think the Clone Wars Microseries is accurate to the movies. Not in the literal sense that Mace Windu could take on an army, but the plot points are all relevant. The official novelizations are nice, but not always 100% accurate.

VanishingReality likes this.
  2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
  3. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Moving to SWC

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I like cannons that shoot really far.

Oh wait...

5. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    rose in the golden girls claims that they shot a herring out of a cannon during the herring festival back in st. olaf.

DarthRelaxus and benknobi1 like this.
  6. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    The six movies, and that's it.

I like some EU, such as the clone wars cartoon. But I enjoy them on their own merits, and the movies on there own.

The films are the only "canon" for me

Carbon1985 likes this.
  7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    PT-TCW-OT is my personal canon

8. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    only the movies

9. Eryndil

Eryndil Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2012
    The six movies (with the novelisations as secondary canon where they don't contradict the movies or what George Lucas has said).

As for the EU (including TCW), I look at it as a kind of 'pick and mix' - I take the bits that fit in with my own interpretation of SW.

darth fluffy and Darkslayer like this.
  10. TheRevanchist

TheRevanchist Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 13, 2012
    Everything that doesn't contradict all other things is my personal canon. By that I am talking about video games and novels, obviously movies and to a degree TCW. I still have difficulty accepting the return of Darth Maul which was just a fan service, nonsense and should have never ever happened. For me, Kenobi still killed him in Naboo.

Also, I don't take canon quotes from Lucas and anything else that looks similar to, the strongest Jedi/Sith of all time.

Iron_lord and Obi-yoda like this.
  11. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Ah yes, I also discount any Lucas silliness (i.e. Skywalker Wine). And until we get a decent explanation, I'll go with earlier sources that say Obi-Wan was from Coruscant.

Though I don't blame Lucas; even he says he doesn't believe in the EU, and it seems like he's just making fun of how determined people are to make whatever he says "canon."

12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't worry about canon I just enjoy whatever I'm watching, reading or playing. I don't care if it's contradicted somewhere else because I couldn't keep track of all that crap even if I tried.

13. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    KOTOR era stuff
    Bane Trilogy
    Plagueis book
    Prequels
    TCW
    Force Unleashed
    OT
    ST

14. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    Movies (non-special ed.), KotOR and all things Revan, Plaguis, SW:Death Star, Legacy, Darth Vader didn't have his ass kicked by so many stupid EU jeid and TCW never happened to the Mandalorians. Well most of TCW never happened in general. And the cheesy 1980s SW comics don't exist either.

There's probably more but I can't think of it off the top of my head right now.

15. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    I find it easier to enjoy it by assuming that the films are Canon, while everything else exists in its own pocket universes.

SlashMan likes this.
  16. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    The Ewok movies.

Nothing else.

17. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Great thread, was thinking about creating one like this.

Here goes my personal canon:

Films:

The Phantom Menace (Blu-ray cut)
    Attack of the Clones (DVD cut)
    Revenge of the Sith (Theatrical/Blu-ray cut)
    A New Hope (DVD SE cut)
    The Empire Strikes Back (DVD/Blu-ray SE cut)
    Return of the Jedi (Blu-ray SE cut)

Novels:

The Phantom Menace
    Attack of the Clones
    Shadows of the Empire

Games:
    KotOR (?)
    The Force Unleashed
    The Force Unleashed II (?)
    Jedi Knight series (?)

TV:
    Clone Wars (Volume 1)
    Clone Wars (Volume 2) (?)
    The Clone Wars (Film, seasons 1, 2, 3)
    The Clone Wars (Seasons 4, 5) (?)

(?) = Parts of, undecided.

Andy Wylde and SlashMan like this.
  18. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Outside of the films and the two Clone Wars cartoons, my version of the EU starts with wherever the canon starts (The Celestials, I think, not sure of anything before then), and ends at The New Republic era. I find the Yuuzhan Vong an incredibly boring arc, and after that the stories just get so depressing and repetitive I really just don't care for them. The resurgence of Palpatine, new Empire, Darth Krayt, it's all the same story with different characters.

19. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013
    amen

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

20. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    I don't care what anybody says, the clone wars were longer than two and a half years.

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The Star Wars material that I like is canon.

The material that I don't like, never happened except in the imaginations of the people who like stuff that I don't like.

22. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    I'm only familiar with the six movies, so "canon" issues are pretty simple for me:p

Carbon1985 and thebeanpole like this.
  23. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    I could have sworn they were 3 years. :confused:

Darth Eddie likes this.
  24. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    three years is still too short for my headcanon timeframe. I'm thinking they were more like six years.

25. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    To me, what happens in such a short time span is what makes the Clone Wars such an epic war. The War spread across the Galaxy so fast, consuming so many star systems within its devastation in so little time.

thebeanpole and TX-20 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.