main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why does the Trade Federation Invades Naboo?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Alessandro Sanfilippo, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Alessandro Sanfilippo

Alessandro Sanfilippo Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 16, 2013
    Ok, grab into this.

Why do they need Naboo? They want money? The planet resources? Why does PalpaSidiuos wants this to happen? Does he knows in advance that it will lead to Anakins Discover?

And lets say that Qui Gon and Obi wan where never sent as ambassadors and they really sent normal
    ambassadors or some unskilled Jedi that dies.

Meaning that Padme never escapes Naboo, Qui Gon never finds Anakin. Qui Gon doesnt die(Meaning that Count Dooku never leaves the Jedi Order)
    Vader never exist, and Maul becomes more powerful and is able to kill Palpatine, which never becomes Emperor.

2. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    I don't know that Palpatine knew it would lead to Anakin's discovery, but he probably knew (or at least had a good idea) that it would lead to him becoming Chancellor.

Mr. K likes this.
  3. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    In working in conjunction with Palpatine, the Trade Federation does it in the interest of money, but Palpatine has other interests at this time. Regardless of how the invasion actually turns out, he's using the opportunity to further his role in the senate, becoming Chancellor being his main goal.

While it's not the best way for the Trade Federation to get money, they are easily manipulated by Palpatine every step of the way, which made everyone surprised that they'd go this far. As far as sending Jedi, the Chancellor knew that this was a situation that could escalate; the Trade Federation had already shown signs of aggression. Plus, it seems that this wasn't unusual work for Jedi. Before all the turmoil that would follow, the galaxy was a much safer place.

Order66Survivor likes this.
  4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The reason Palpatine chooses Naboo is because it is his homeworld and it would garner sympathy for him in the Senate, once the vote of no confidence is in initiated and the elections are held. The reason the Federation goes along with it, has to do with its location as it is near the boarder to the Outer Rim and is probably one of their significant customers.

5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That would imply letting the Queen escape from signing the treaty and not send Maul to find her.

I believe the original reason was protest due to taxations and power. Power through Sidious.

6. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The no confidence vote wasn't dependent on Padme. It just so happened that her escape from Naboo could work to his advantage. Palpatine would have used someone else, but her arrival afforded Palpatine the opportunity to exploit this to his advantage. Note that as Sidious, he never berates Nute about it after she departs for Naboo.

7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I was under the impression that it was dependent of her. Either way, his priority was to forge a treaty to legalize the invasion.

Well, he didn't seem happy when Gunray told him that she escaped. And he sent Maul, which corroborates the importance of the treaty.

8. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    That wasn't really Palpatine's goal. His goal was to get Valorum out and himself in. Signing the treaty was only dependent on her being on Naboo at the time he made his political move. That would be part of his evidence that the Senate was bogged down in procedure and that Valorum didn't have the stones that he used to. Remember, he's playing two sides against each other.

At the time, yes, he was angry. But once she got away from Maul, Palpatine turned it to his advantage and thus he was no longer angry.

9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I'm not arguing that he didn't want to become Chancellor eventually (or that it wasn't his main goal), I'm just saying that his original plan involved invading the planet and forcing the Queen to sign a treaty. The Queen's escape was not part of his plan.

Sure, I'm not disputing that.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  10. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I assume that his initial plan was create a prolonged humanitarian crisis on Naboo.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Why does the Trade Federation Invades Naboo?

Why does the Trade Federation Invades

Trade Federation Invades

Invades

Invades

12. thebeanpole

thebeanpole Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2013
    Because they built a huge army, and it's pretty much a given that when you build a huge army, sooner or later you start getting itchy and decide to test your mettle and invade some random place.

Pretty much how life works.

13. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    What's in it for the Trade Federation? It is best summed up like this:

There's a principle in business (principle in business)
    That everybody knows is sound
    It says the people with the money (people with the money)
    Make this ever-loving world go 'round
    So I'm biggering my company, I'm biggering my factory, I'm biggering my corporate sign (bigger bigger bigger bigger BIGGER)
    Everybody out there you take care of yours, and me? I'll take care of mine mine mine mine MINE!

14. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    I'm just going to say no. To all of that.

;)

The Trade Federation didn't do anything without approval from Sidious, those goons simply followed orders.

"This turn of events is unfortunate. We must accelerate our plans, Viceroy. Begin landing your troops."

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  15. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    Did you not watch the film?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. Alessandro Sanfilippo

Alessandro Sanfilippo Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 16, 2013
    Of course I did, but they never make a point to it.

Is your answer going to be. "Darth Sidius Told Them to"?

17. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    Well, that's a big part of it. Also not to mention that the Trade Federation by blockading the planet was protesting the taxation of trade routes.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I never said it was. I said that he or someone that he manipulated, would call for a vote of no confidence once the treaty was signed. But because she got away, he altered the plan.

19. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    From the opening crawl:

(...)The taxation
    of trade routes to outlying star
    systems is in dispute.

Hoping to resolve the matter
    with a blockade of deadly
    battleships, the greedy Trade
    Federation has stopped all
    shipping to the small planet
    of Naboo. (...)

20. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    (I think you make too many assumptions.

Why would Maul be able to kill Palpatine? I also don't think Palpatine expected Anakin to be found. Nor did Palpatine seem to expect Jedi to be sent to Naboo. Darth Maul is sent after Amidala, because the Jedi protection. The seduction of Dooku was not planned either.)

So the Sith wants the invasion and they are evil. That's the basic reason. If you as a viewer also know that Palpatine=Sidious, then it's clear: Palpatine wants to be elected Supreme Chancellor on sympathy votes and good old vote manipulation. If the Queen had signed the treaty, Palpatine would have been seen as a tragic hero fighting against the tide of tyranny and greed and the forced collaboration of his head-of-state. (The removal of the Trade Federation from Naboo could have also necessitated emergency powers from the part of the Supreme Chancellor.)

What does the Trade Federation get out of this? Their tax routes were taxed and they have an army, so the invasion of Naboo is blackmail against further state intrusion. A treaty signed by the Queen would have made Republic interference a lot more difficult, and at this point the Republic didn't even have an army. (Unless Palpatine gets emergency powers?)

Otherwise you can find the reasons in three books: Cloak of Deception, Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter and Darth Plagueis.

21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The same reason Palpatine was able to kill his Master.

22. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    But why would the signing of the treaty be important enough to warrant a call of no confidence?
    The TF has blockaded Naboo for some time and the senate and Valorum has been unable to resolve this matter. Wouldn't that be enough for a call of no-confidence?

The TF is doing the blockade as a protest against some new tax but they and Sidious were always plaing to invade Naboo as well.
    I can see the blockade working as some kind of protest but how does the invasion help the TF to get rid of this new tax?
    The TF did not want the invasion becoming known and they want Padme to sing a treaty that makes the invasion legal.
    But assuming she signs this treaty, would the invasion then become known? If yes, then wouldn't that be against the TF's interest?
    They don't want the senate to know they invaded Naboo, if the treaty says they did why would they want this?

If the treaty is just to make Naboo a part of the TF then what is the big deal? We are told that the TF already control a large number of planets and the Senate don't seem to mind. Why would one more be any different?
    And how does this treaty help the TF to get rid of the tax?

And if the invasion goes as planned and the treaty is signed and the blockade removed then the current crisis would be resolved. Yes Naboo is now a part of the TF but no more blockade. Also, wouldn't this make Palpatine loose his seat in the senate? He would no longer be able to represent Naboo in any official way and thus wouldn't this make it impossible for him to become chancellor?

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

23. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    It's true that this isn't explained well enough at all in TPM. Other things get needless exposition while the importance of Valorum and the TF's motives are said in throwaway lines easily missed in scenes of walking down stairs. Honestly I think this is one of the core problems of the movie, and seeing as they hired a veteran actor to play Valorum u honestly don't understand the little screen time he got.

24. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Valorum did send the Jedi to settle the matter. He didn't know how complicated the situation was until they arrived on Coruscant.

I don't think the invasion was just part of the protest. In fact, one can assume that they didn't plan to invade until Sidious ordered them to.

"Begin landing your troops."
    "My lord, is that legal?"
    "I will make it legal."

"How will you explain this invasion to the Senate?"
    "The Queen and I will sign a treaty that will legitimize our occupation here. I have assurances it will be ratified by the Senate."

The treaty was just to make the invasion legal. Once the planet is invaded there is no more need for the blockade. But Qui-Gon does state:

"There is something else behind all this, Your Highness. There's no logic in the Federation's move here."

I think we shouldn't be seeing this from the POV of the Trade Federation, which at that point is just a mere puppet of Sidious, and try to figure out Sidious original plan. The blockade of the planet as a protest against the taxes may have been their original intent, but once Sidious starts to control the Neimoidians more and more, the plan starts to change and prioritize what he wants.

I don't see the relation between being a veteran actor and requiring more screen time by default.

Darth Chiznuk and FRAGWAGON like this.
  25. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    The blockade was not a protest against taxes. It was to impose/enforce taxes on trade routes used by the people of Naboo.