main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Star Wars Misconceptions You Had as a Kid. (RE-MADE)

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jedi_Saber101, Jun 9, 2011.

1. AT-AT Walker

AT-AT Walker Jedi Youngling

Sep 20, 2013
    I have a lot of the same misconceptions in this thread:

Lifesaver
    Darth Vader = Dark Vader
    Darth Vader was a robot.
    The stormtroopers were robots.
    The AT- and ST Walkers were "animal droids".
    The TIE fighters didn't have pilots.
    Luke could understand R2-D2's beeps.
    Salacious Crumb was Jabba's child
    Luke had suddenly turned evil because he gave Threepio and Artoo to Jabba and he was wearing Vader-black when he did it
    The Umpire Strikes Back - I was 3 or 4 and saw toy commercials for The Empire Strikes Back and heard it as "The Umpire Strikes Back!" and thought how does baseball connect to this?

2. AT-AT Walker

AT-AT Walker Jedi Youngling

Sep 20, 2013
    Forgot to add that I also thought Luke's father was a very skilled pilot first and a Jedi second, like many here.

3. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    This is one that I had after I saw The Phantom Menace: I thought that Cloud City was the Senate Building that had been launched into space and had a city built on top of it's dome.

....I was 6 at the time. [face_whistling]

4. darth fluffy

darth fluffy Jedi Master star 2

Dec 27, 2012
    I thought the end of ANH was Luke and Leia's wedding.

I also took Luke's "No! That's not true! That's impossible!" line literally and I assumed Luke somehow had intimate knowledge of Vader's reproductive health.

5. Binder-lover

Binder-lover Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 3, 2003
    I didn't like Star wars at first. It was only after I read an ROTJ kids' book that i began to like it, but I remember being really confused over why Darth Vader--who I knew about because of his popularity--was taking orders from some old guy, and that somehow he turned good.

6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    In the Dark Side Cave on Dagobah, when Luke chopped off Vader's head, and the mask exploded to show Anakin's face, i thought it was Hayden Christensen's face

7. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    When watching the ANH SE as a kid, I took Han's remark to Jabba as being "a wonderful human being" a bit literal. I thought that a group of humanity had branched off and gotten so fat that they lost the need for legs and started resembling a slug thing.

Ordo N-11 likes this.
  8. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    This one confuses me to this day. I swear they hold serious conversations at times.

Revanfan1 and jaqen like this.
  9. darth fluffy

darth fluffy Jedi Master star 2

Dec 27, 2012
    At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the EU actually did that.

10. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    As a kid?

- The common lifesaver/lightsaber and Dark Vader/Darth Vader misconceptions.

- I thought George Lucas directed and solely wrote all the Star Wars films. I remember being shocked, and let down, when I learned there were other co-writers and that he didn't sit in the directing chair for the sequels.

- I thought all the hairstyles Princes Leia wore were created from Carrie Fisher's real hair.
    - I though the sibling reveal had been planned all along.

- I thought Sebastian Shaw was younger than Sir Alec Guinness.

- I thought the Emperor was hundreds or thousands of years old (still not convinced otherwise LOL).

The biggest misconception, though more misunderstanding, came when I was a teenager, after the prequels were announced. I didn't become a HUGE Star Wars fan until I was about 12 or 13 in the 90s, so all the stuff the first generation SW lovers fell for came to me a bit later. This includes my humongous crush on Princess Leia, and by extension Carrie Fisher. So after the prequels were announced I nursed a pretty healthy hope (read: delusion) that Carrie Fisher would come back and play whoever Leia's mother was going to be. I didn't think age would be an issue because back then I assumed all the characters from the prequels would be older; I never envisioned them being young. Then she did an interview where she implied that George asked her to help with Leia's mother, so my over eager teenage ass jumped up in joy that my fantasy was becoming reality; Carrie Fisher was playing Leia's mother!!! Little did I know that she was likely either joking or talking about helping George on a script level.

Also I have an odd memory of Leia shouting "I'll be OK" to Luke and Han after they're being taken from Jabba's throne room, and at some point after getting the trilogy on VHS was surprised that no line exists in ROTJ.

Ordo N-11, Revanfan1 and pronker like this.
  11. thebeanpole

thebeanpole Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2013
    If I think of more I'll post them, this isn't exactly mine but right now all I remember is that my little brother called Qui-Gon Jinn "Climb-on-Jim". :)

TOASTEROVEN and DarthRelaxus like this.
  12. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    Here's an odd one I had managed to convince myself into believing up until last night when i was discussing it with friend and fellow SW fan. Up until last night, I somehow thought that Luke's hair went from blond to brown like it does Anakin's, but relooking I see that Luke's hair consistently stays a light brown/dirty blond color. It's so weird. I'm thinking that the scenes with Luke in RotJ helped forge this misconception. In ANH, Luke is mostly in well lit scenes. In RotJ, we see him on only two well lit scenes: the Barge battle, and his day on Endor.

Ordo N-11 likes this.
  13. Stugotz006

Stugotz006 Jedi Padawan

Jan 2, 2013
    "Bubba" Fett

thebeanpole, lbr789 and pronker like this.
  14. Yondo Kuromu

Yondo Kuromu Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 18, 2013
    1. The Millenium Falcon flew into the space slug's anus, rested inside its body and went out of its mouth.
    2. Stormtroopers are robots
    3. The first X-wing fighter who launched his proton torpedos was to disable the ray shields so Luke can fire his torpedos into the target.
    4. Wookie are future pet dogs.
    5. Darth Vader sent a robot version of himself to Dagobah to fight Luke. I got that idea after seeing the trashed head of Vader which I thought was a rock.
    6. Darth Vader was actually Luke's uncle (not Owen or Anakin), who wants to lure him to the dark side by lying to him.
    7. Han was also a Jedi because he used a lightsaber.
    8. Green lightsabers means that they are Jedi Masters and blue are for apprentices.
    9. Yoda was drunk when Luke first met him.
    10. Obi Wan was actually Luke's father, but he lied just to motivate him to fight against the Dark Side to avenge his father.
    11. Leia got locked up in the first Death Star for bossing everyone around, got that idea after she started bossing everyone when she was freed.
    12. Luke's organic hand was reattached back to his arm.
    13. They made a body sculpture of Han for some odd reason in TESB.
    14. Chewie is actually a mutated giant version of the Ewoks.
    15. Yoda was never really Yoda, but is just a servant of the real Yoda testing him the entire time for the real Yoda.
    16. Obi Wan knows how to teleport when dueling Vader, he then went behind the scenes speaking to Luke in another radio room to guide him during the Death Star assault.
    17. Lando Calrissian was on Darth Vader's side since the beginning.
    18. Darth Vader isn't human, he's an alien who can't breath in human conditions, that's why he's wearing a space suit.
    19. Darth Vader was on the Imperial Walker that got destroyed, he survived it because he's powerful.
    20. Qui Gon landed on Tatooine just to see the podrace.
    21. Sarlaac Pitt: Tatooine is actually a living planet that feeds on creatures.

15. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    Truly wonderful the mind of a child is.

jaqen and Malcolm Reynolds like this.
  16. Malcolm Reynolds

Malcolm Reynolds Jedi Master star 5

Sep 2, 2013
    I thought the clone wars were the colonial wars.

17. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    That the Taun-taun ate noodles before being sliced up and that's why his guts look like noodles
    Only a Force user could wield a lightsaber
    It was spelled Lightsabre even though I am American, I know that is right in UK
    Dexter Jettster was evil
    Grievous was a Sith
    Boba Fett was Bobo Fett the Imperial; I could not wrap my mind around the concept of a bounty hunter

Senpezeco likes this.
  18. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    Before I had actually seen the movies, I thought the fight on Bespin and the Battle of Yavin were at the same time.

19. BlueHenDave

BlueHenDave Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 21, 2013
    "Darth Vader, only you could be so OLD" My brother and I had the star wars vinyl and would listen to it and we both were convinced Leia was saying old.

Neighborhood kid convincing us all that Chewbacca bodyslammed Darth Vader in the movie even though we all saw it

Senpezeco, jaqen and Dinos4Ever like this.
  20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    In the trash compactor scene, Luke wasn't actually talking via a communicator, but the situation drove him insane and he was yelling at his thumb.

TOASTEROVEN and pronker like this.
  21. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    -Post TPM: I thought that long pole that they try to stop the trash compactor with in ANH was Darth Maul's lightsaber solidified
    -Pre-PT: I thought that the Clone Wars was a war that had repeated itself over and over due to a time machine mishap
    -For a while I thought that crazy-Yoda and Yoda were two different individuals
    -I thought that Luke overheard Yoda through the Force saying "No, there is another" and that's the quote that Luke mentioned to Obi-Wan in RotJ when Luke told him that "Yoda spoke of another". I could never understand what Yoda was croaking when he was on his deathbed.
    -I thought Dodonna was Leia's father
    -I thought that the Lars Homestead grew actual crops. I couldn't understand the concept of "moisture farming". I thought the idea just referred to an irrigation system for the crops.
    -Because of the horizontal swipe, I thought that the Sand People had torn C-3PO in half at the waist.
    -I thought that because Leia was a princess and that she was Luke's sister, that made Luke a prince.
    -I imagined 'Jedi Knights" as medieval knights
    -I thought Han said "Even I get bored sometimes, do you think I have a choice?" I thought he was dumping his cargo out of boredom.
    -I thought Han said "It's a good thing the Empire knows we're here."
    -

Seagoat, Yondo Kuromu and Frank T. like this.
  22. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    I remember thinking - boy if old Ben Kenobi could just reach up there and hit that button on Darth Vader's chest he could just turn that robot off.... and he'd stop making that goofy breathing noise...

23. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    I always thought that Ben was telling Luke off after he sold his landspeeder and not saying that they'd have enough money.

24. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I thought these, too.

25. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    I got really sick in 82 I think?... I had seen ESB and when my parents wanted to take me to the hospital for a high temperature, I screamed "NO!!! I don't want to go into a tank of water and everyone see my in my underpants!!!!" [face_laugh]:_|