main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Weapons in SW: Question and discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Gamiel, Aug 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Not at all. They tried it in Balance Point against a Vong who wasn't even wearing armor. It didn't even slow her.

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Gracias
    Do we know why?

3. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Properly used to the pain, though could just be that their neurology is different enough, as there are several creatures that are also basically immune to stun bolt, or highly resistant.

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Stun bolts are based on pain?

5. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

The way I understood it is a kind of neurological shock that will knock the target out.

6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do we have a name for the type of blades used by Urai Fen?
    [​IMG]

7. The Compeer

The Compeer Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 12, 2013
    Massively impractical blades? :p

kubricklynch, Sarge and Solent like this.
  8. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Nep though they might be similar to these

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Vibroshield

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Is he holding two giant helmets?

10. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    No, those are the vibroshields. :p

11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I was thinking "unwieldy ridiculous."

So what's the point of adding vibro to a shield?

Ordo N-11 likes this.
  12. The Compeer

The Compeer Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 12, 2013
    That's easy, when you bash someone with said vibrating shield, then they'll stumble backward vibrating like crazy. You know, like something out of a Tom and Jerry cartoon. Major tactical advantage there.

Ordo N-11 and Revanfan1 like this.
  13. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    I imagine it's a bit like adding sonic to a screwdriver.

Barriss_Coffee and Ordo N-11 like this.
  14. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    They're also blades. The pointy ends. They're sort of all-purpose.

15. Ordo N-11

Ordo N-11 Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2013

Let's see...(Runs and digs out his well-worn New Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology)
    "Many Manufacturers produce weapons with different settings, including a "stun" setting that reduces the volatility and so can render targets unconscious for up to ten minutes without causing any lasting physical damage. The Naboo's CR-2, manufactured by Corellian Arms, includes a secondary firing mode that uses bolts of concentrated electricity to stun targets. Conversely, the Relby-K23, used by Cloud City's Wing Guard and many Imperial agents is designed to inflict excruciating pain..."

So, I suppose it could be either way, depending on the setting and model of blaster.

16. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    How much sense does it make for SW blasters to have a stun setting on them anyway? I mean, from how it's explained it seems the principle for a regular blaster bolt is much different than that for a stun bolt...heck they don't even look anything alike when they're fired. It's not like in Star Trek where you can just dial down the power of a phaser and use that to stun someone...the equivalent of what they have in SW would be like if we had a real-life handgun with a taser attached to it.

17. THE EVIL CLIFFIE

THE EVIL CLIFFIE Jedi Master star 2

Jul 11, 2008
    For something intended to be used by security forces (as all blasters post-Ruusan, pre-Clone Wars would be), it's eminently practical: a nonlethal solution tha allows normal subduing of a suspect while allowing an officer to respond with lethal force if necessary. After that became standard, the practice was so common that no-one bothered to stop.

Ordo N-11 and Gorefiend like this.
  18. THE EVIL CLIFFIE

Jul 11, 2008
    New question: what exactly does the synthetic crystal in a Sith blade do? (I used to know the answer, but I forgot and I don't have my guides handy)

19. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Beyond making the blade red I am not sure.

20. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

They are slightly more stable and energy effective, some could apparently also cause Jedi lightsabers to short out during clashes.

21. Ordo N-11

Sep 28, 2013

The Synthetic Crystals enhance the strength and power of the Lightsaber's blade, however the increased power makes the blade unstable, requiring the Sith wielding the saber to use the dark side to prevent it from shorting out. The energy fluctuations produced can occasionally disrupt the Jedi's natural crystal blades. The synthetic crystal's attributes also serve to reinforce Sith Doctrine. The need to use the Dark Side to prevent shorts keeps the Sith from using the Light Side, and exposes another facet of Sith Philosophy; if the apprentice fails and his saber breaks in combat, then, well, he didn't deserve to survive, anyway. The hours-long forging required to manufacture the crystals serves to emphasize the Sith focus on strength and dominance, compared to the Jedi's more natural and "harmony with the Living Force" process of finding and bonding with crystals.

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    This is the first time I have heard about sith using Synthetic Crystals with extra powers. Were do they come up?

23. THE EVIL CLIFFIE

Jul 11, 2008

Surely all Synthetic Crystals aren't like that, though? Luke's second lightsaber worked fine, as did Jaina's.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  24. Ordo N-11

Sep 28, 2013

I believe that only refers to Sith-made, Dark Side imbued Synthetic Crystals; Crystals made by Jedi or a non-Force sensitive would work the same as a natural Crystal.

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do anybody know if the kind of sword (?) Orielle Kitai is holding in this image has any specific name?
    [​IMG]

Revanfan1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.