main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Obi-Wan Kenobi: v4 Fan Club a/k/a Appreciation Society

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Valairy Scot, Sep 4, 2012.

1. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
  2. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Hello all,

I finally bought Kenobi. I have skimmed read it in the car on the way home and it looks interesting enough that I should enjoy it when I eventually find time to read it.

Anyway I am so tired that I am just not in the mood for any Obi-loving tonight. Let's just say 1:30am mass evacuation of the hotel I was staying in because one of the other guests in their infinite wisdom decided to set the fire alarm off!!!! I'd only been asleep for an hour and I didn't get to sleep again until 6am in which I was up by 7:15am!!! Thankfully I've made it through the day. Thankfully we got a full refund too - Premier Inn says that they will give the money back if we don't get a peaceful night sleep... I think some idiot setting the fire alarm off qualifies for that. Anyway, hoping to have some Obi-Wan dreams tonight... :D

3. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    That love scene in The island was what I call a romantic love scene (as opposed to just a "sex scene." Val approves.

HIC88 - egads. I was up at 5-ish this morning to go hiking AND drove over 250 miles as well including 4 miles (one way) of steep, narrow, rutted, rocky old mine-to-market forest service road. However, I hit McDonalds on the way home and downed a Dulce du Luce shake which made it all very worthwhile - though it seems I am now fighting off a cold or something.

4. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012

Ouch! 250 miles is very far to go!!! I'm glad you managed to get through the forest service road!

5. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Hey - it's a Subaru! Half the vehicles are Subbies up in the mountains. It was a passenger car drivable (slowly) road, although a Jeep-type vehicle hit the first bumps/potholes that are at the very very very beginning and stopped! When he pulled aside, I went by as did a Legacy behind me and the Legacy kept up with my Forester no problem.

6. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012
    I think I would be very scared if that was me!

7. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    Yes, a very nice romantic love scene...I love it...I get uncomfortable when a "love" scene turns a little too explicit..I tend to look away... That one was just right...

Now READING those kind of scenes...ala Ashley...[face_blush] Just got through reading some pretty steamy stuff...whew!! Where's my fan?...;)

8. rubbidonkey

rubbidonkey Jedi Youngling

Jul 25, 2013
    Refer to some seemingly irrelevant things here. Have anyone watched the 2009 cartoon The Secret of Kells? I came across it several years ago, and a pang of similarity never leave me since. Now I can finally nail it down: because the protagonist looks a tiny winy bit like Obi-Wan.
    Wiki page is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_of_Kells

By following this line of thought we may further get a slightly Dooku-ish Abbot Cellach (head of the brothers) and Aidan of Iona who resembles Qui-Gon; abstractions and disciplines for one, maverick and liveliness for the other.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ewan himself does not really look like the little boy in the film at the age of 12, however, Master Kenobi from EP2 gives off the same feeling as an adult Brendan. Another superficial though interesting revelation is the voice actor for Brendan: Evan Mcguire.
    [​IMG]

A boy raised in monastery under the strict care of his doctrinaire uncle, later became the keeper of knowledge who passed on the torch of hope in an era of darkness? Sounds familiar to me! Indeed, the same story archetype makes endless recurrences everywhere.
    [​IMG]

9. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    I've never heard of it before, but I think I might have to check it out!

I finally finished Kenobi the other day. I read for almost two straight days to finish it off. (I'm a very slow reader.) As a story, it was very enjoyable, a good book. A few misgivings about it, but I think that is the difference in vision, and not anything really wrong with the telling.
    Perhaps it was just me, but Obi-Wan just seemed too passive in the early scenes at The Claim.

10. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    Interesting....something to think about while waiting for the book to arrive at the Library.

That first picture looks like a young Obi-Wan standing before Dooku...made me think of Ruth's Lineage stories...

Thanks for sharing...:)

hlc88 likes this.
  11. ruth baulding

ruth baulding Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Friday night. Time to celebrate in a time-honored fashion.
    [​IMG]

serendipityaey and obimom like this.
  12. BeridanOok

BeridanOok Jedi Padawan

Jun 24, 2013
    Has anyone read Kenobi?

13. obimom

Oct 31, 2010

Several have...scroll back a page or two and you will find some comments on the book.

I found some different pics of Ewan that I hadn't seen before and posted some on the Ewan page if anyone wants to drool...er...I mean, view...;)

Good Saturday morning...working a new M-F schedule of six to two-thirty, then for some reason they have me working overtime tomorrow from eight-thirty to two...don't know why, but it's overtime. At least today I get to relax (yeah right...laundry, dishes, cooking, grocery shopping, etc. ) :p

I must say though, so far I am liking the new schedule...

serendipityaey likes this.
  14. BeridanOok

BeridanOok Jedi Padawan

Jun 24, 2013
    Ok, I've read all of the Jedi Academy books and I read all of the novels that took place between AOTC and ROTJ and I don't remember anyone named Staine who was metioned in the book? I know that Siri was the love of Obi-Wan's life, but who was Satine?

15. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012

Satine is from The Clone Wars animated show. She is the Duchess of Mandalore and a staunch pacifist. Siri has never been mentioned in TCW, I assume since TCW is considered of higher canon due to Lucas' involvement in the show, that Siri may not have existed in Lucas' vision. I get the impression that Satine was created for the show to be Obi-Wan's love, with there not being anyone else.

I like Satine... I think I'm alone in that :D

16. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    Of course, I’m partial to Siri. There’s so much more history with her with all the books and years of fanfic.

I was really put off when I first heard they were introducing Satine in the TCW, because it did mean Siri wasn’t the one. Worse, Satine was introduced so late in the story and her arc was so brief, that she felt more like a device. We get a hint of backstory and that’s it.

It didn’t happen overnight, but she has grown on me. I like how she’s a foil for Obi-Wan and I think she would be fun to get to know her more.

EDIT: Oh, I love that WOW picture, ruth baulding. There can never have enough Wet Obi-Wan. ;)

17. BeridanOok

BeridanOok Jedi Padawan

Jun 24, 2013
    Actually Siri was in a Clone Wars novel written by Jude Watson, I believe, that took place seven months before ROTS. I know this may cause some frustration due it being in contradiction to the CW cartoon, but I never have considered the cartoons to be apart of the CW EU. This was also the novel that she died.

18. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012

Quick question: you do know there are 2 different Clone Wars shows? The Gennedy series titled Clone Wars which I think is now non-canon and then Lucas' version The Clone Wars. TCW = the 2nd show.

Those books were written before Lucas rewrote The Clone Wars timeline I believe. Anything that was published before TCW aired is most likely gone from the timeline. Some of the best Dark Horse Comics of the Clone Wars can no longer be canon because TCW has overwritten it. As far as I am aware The Clone Wars show is meant to be the definitive canon between Episodes II and III. Lucas has had direct involvement with the second The Clone Wars show whereas with the CW EU he didn't... so anything that came before TCW is probably now moot.

But each to their own! :D

19. BeridanOok

BeridanOok Jedi Padawan

Jun 24, 2013
    I spent the second half of my junior year of high school reading 36 novels and a series of graphic novels because I wanted to know everything that happened during the CW, and now you tell me that those novels such as shatterpoint isn't worth bantha poodo now? o_O

Bartender......one gin and tonic please

serendipityaey likes this.
  20. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    Not all of it, just the parts of the books and comics that directly contradict TCW. I loved so many of the comic story lines and of course, previous EU that doesn’t fit with what is shown in TCW, but that’s okay. I kind of pick and choose the parts I like best and go on. ;)

21. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012

Some can still fit in... some can't... But really its up to you.

I believe TCW begins about 2-4 months past Geonosis... so that would make fitting in all the novels and graphic novels very difficult. And a lot of those novels and comics had Anakin still as a Padawan... whereas in TCW he's Knighted about 2 months post Ep.II and then spends the next few years teaching a student, so that makes a lot of the novels and graphic novels redundant unless they are all squeezed into 8 weeks between the end of Ep II and the new timeline.

I do that too. I always make sure Jabiim is canon. I love that arc.

22. BeridanOok

BeridanOok Jedi Padawan

Jun 24, 2013
    Is Jabiim when there was a large battle. Thousands of Jedi were killed and Anakin believed Obi-Wan to dead?

23. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012

It was, though I don't think Anakin ever believed Obi-Wan was dead. It was everyone else who did, unless I'm getting my details completely muddled! This could give me the excuse to re-read them!

24. obimom

Oct 31, 2010

Yup...and Val wrote a brilliant two part ff about that event...which eventually morfed into a Siriwan...loved it all...:)

She filled in the details the Dark Horse comit left out about what happened to Obi-Wan there...

25. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012

I want to read that again now... In fact I just might do that! Fantastic story.