main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit More Official Star Wars Blog Goodness: The Not-so Magnificent Seven :D

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Plaristes, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Not anymore he ain't --- After Sphere of Influence happened, Leland confirmed that the Greedo in TPM was Greedo Greedo. The sw.com forums are dead, but my friend Tm_T over at Wookieepedia archived a lot of the notable VIP posts, and here is the one in question:

The Greedo the Elder retcon had always been a pretty sneaky one. We could only get away with it for so long.

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Eh, it's not that bad.

32 year old Greedo who used to live with his parents and decided to become a bounty hunter isn't that bad.

3. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    I forgot to comment back when this was posted, but I enjoyed this quite a bit. I think this is our first look at the New Greedo backstory; pretty much as expected. I loved the Abeloth reference in Esse's backstory, and the explanation of the Chadra Fan on the Executor. Great stuff!

TC

4. HedecGa

HedecGa Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2006
    Hey, everybody. Just wanted to say "thanks" for the comments and for everybody checking it out :)

Some things to point out--let me just say I'm a fan of Mala Mala (and all of Vader's Quest, really), so her inclusion in this list wasn't an author's commentary on her being "lame" or anything. Some of the characters on the list are there because they weren't so hot at their job--like Greedo--but mostly I wanted an excuse to dust off some obscure bounty hunters. I thought Mala Mala needed some more time in the spotlight and was a really interesting character, so there she is.

As for naming Fud's species, I really debated on that one. With Dafi, I thought there was enough similarity to make the leap. But with Fud, it was much harder. I was *this* close to naming him as a "deformed Swokes Swokes", but I just didn't feel right about that. It was too much of a stretch, even taking into the account "artist interpretation". And, this being my first time out of the gate writing one of these articles, it wasn't my place to create a bunch of names and whatnot. Though, with "Remel" and a throwaway reference to a "Malyssa Raventhorn", those were low-hanging fruits I'm ashamed to admit I could not resist.

The reference to the Vain Goddess in Esse's entry is actually not related to Abeloth (though I guess someone could take it in that direction in the future and that'd be okay), but rather a tip of the hat to a major plot point in the ever-in-limbo-but-no-less-amazing Supernatural Encounters article/novella by Joe Bongiorno.

With Greedo's backstory, that sucker is a minefield. I wanted to preserve his appearance in the Clone Wars and A Hunter's Fate (a story I think is one of the finest examples of EU out there). This was an attempt to be vague enough that both are meshed together.

Rogue_Follower likes this.
  5. Malachi108

Malachi108 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2009
    Well, as I pointed out elsewhere, the events itself remain pretty much intact, but the dates and ages from A Hunter's Tale just aren't salvageable, with references to the Empire during Greedo's youth and such. Ah well, could be much worse after all.

6. SheaHublin

SheaHublin Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 15, 2008
    Ah. I'd actually interpreted it as a reference to the Pius Dea Goddess, especially the part about how it had been responsible for galactic Chaos long ago. I took the people of the planet to be descended from stranded Pius Dea crews who did want to unleash the Goddess on the Galaxy again, and turned their fanaticism inward to purge out violent elements. Fanatically.

HedecGa likes this.