main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Why didnt Obi Wan(BEN KENOBI) Keep Luke

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Alessandro Sanfilippo, Sep 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alessandro Sanfilippo

Alessandro Sanfilippo Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 16, 2013
    Instead of giving him to his family, he could just stay hidden somewhere on the galaxy, and secretly train Luke from childhood. This would had made luke even more powerful than the emperor.

Keeping in mind that Luke had great Jedi growth in really short time, imagine him being trained since he was a child

2. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Maybe the Emperor would have sensed Luke's power growing if he had been trained from birth which was why they needed to be hidden and not trained.

3. The True Sith'ari

The True Sith'ari Jedi Youngling

Sep 21, 2013
    Well if the Emperor couldn't sense ObiWan and the young Luke Skywalker on the same planet for so many years, would they really be any more noticeable through the Force with Luke being trained as a child?

4. Malcolm Reynolds

Malcolm Reynolds Jedi Master star 5

Sep 2, 2013
    The whole thing makes no sense to me.Why didn't Obi-Wan and Yoda double team the emperor? Why didn't they teach Luke immediately? Why isn't Yoda looking after Leia and training her?

5. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    This is tough to answer because we know nothing about the relationship between Luke and "Old Ben" during the timeframe between Episodes 3 and 4. I believe even the all-encompassing (and all-annoying) EU hasn't even really touched on this (and it wouldn't even really matter to me if it did).

We know that Luke knows Ben at the beginning of E4. They've obviously met beforehand. While he calls Ben a "strange old hermit," he doesn't seem to share in Owen's disdain for him as that wizard being "just a crazy old man." I get the impression that while there's no formal training going on, there has been a certain amount of guidance and mentoring.

6. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    Yoda took his shot, but failed. When he strolled into Palpatine's Senate Office, Palpatine seemed legitimately surprised Yoda was even alive, so a surprise confrontation was plausible. My interpretation is that, going forward, there would be no way whatsoever Yoda (or Kenobi) would be able to get that close to Palpatine again.

7. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    1. I assumed they didn't know yet if he would be powerful in the Force .

2. I like to think that Ben wasn't crazy about the whole idea of Jedi kids being seperated from their parents , so wanted Luke to have some sort of normal childhood .

3. I think training him as a kid would've stirred up the Force and alerted Vader and the Emp

SlashMan likes this.
  8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Obi-wan was not strong enough to beat Sidious and even together, he'd still die. Sidious took out three Jedi Masters, the best among them, in a matter of seconds. Mace and Yoda were the only ones strong enough to fight him as long as they did.

Because that was the problem. The Jedi had not changed in a thousand years and as a result, their methods were putting them behind the curb. The Sith adapted, but the Jedi grew stagnant. Letting them live with normal families would ensure that they gained a sense of normalcy, which would then be essential in their Jedi training. Not to mention that the Sith would have hunted them down. Sidious could feel a disturbance in the Force, when Luke arrived on Dagobah and knew it was time to get serious about stopping him.

Because they're being raised by families. Not Jedi.

OBI-WAN: "The Emperor knew, as did I, that if Anakin were to have any offspring, they would be a threat to him."

QUI-GON: "The Force is unusually strong with him, that much is clear. Who was his father?"

They knew.

Master Fisto likes this.
  9. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    I don't think it's a given that any offspring of a Jedi are automatically powerful in the Force , and QuiGon was talking about a 9 year old boy at that point .

10. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Sure it is. Qui-gon asked about Anakin's father because he suspected that the boy's potential was due to his father possibly being a Jedi. And as Obi-wan said by his own admission, the children of Anakin had the means to be a threat.

11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Then Anakin would have gotten stronger, since Obi-Wan would have been to busy with Sidious

12. Malcolm Reynolds

Malcolm Reynolds Jedi Master star 5

Sep 2, 2013
    Then Yoda and Obi-Wan could fight Anakin.

13. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Luke was not his to take him away from his family.

14. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    That reply really doesn't work because he did precisely that with Leia. Furthermore, it could be argued the Kenobi was more "family" than Owen and Beru. None of them are blood relatives, and Anakin's relationship with Obi-Wan is certainly stronger than any relationship he had with Owen and Beru (despite being Owen's step-brother).

15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    He hasn't done anything with Leia. Bail did.

16. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    Huh? The 3 of them, Yoda, Obi-Wan and Bail, sat at the conference table on the Tantive IV deciding what to do with the twins. They were all in on the whole thing together. Since giving the twins to Vader is obviously out of the question, the twins effectively have no "family" that they could have been given to or taken away from.

17. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Then Anakin would die and the Force would never be balanced.

Except they're still his family because Luke's grandmother was married into the Lars family. That counts far more than your teacher being the legal guardian. You don't have to be a blood relative in this situation, otherwise they'd be better off on Naboo with Padme's family.

18. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I have no idea why, but I always liked to take a page from Harry Potter for my own head canon concerning this. I always believed that Yoda felt it vital that Luke grow up with family, with people who could teach him the importance of love rather than to grow up with the stoic, emotionless point of view of the Jedi that had caused the Council to have ignored Anakin's problems and believe that Anakin would grow out of his emotional state with enough given time and teachings. Obi-wan and Yoda looked at Luke as a fresh start, and believed that removing the influence of the old Jedi Order and starting with a clean slate would be the best path to a new Jedi Order.

MasterCece, Dewback and CryGoneGin like this.
  19. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Obi-Wan didn't suggest anything (specially regarding Leia), he merely listened and agreed to take Luke to the Lars and watch over him.

20. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    Why does that "count far more"? I mean, if we're going to look at things from a legal standpoint of who should be the legal guardian, then legally Anakin/Vader is the father, he gets rightful custody, and all the rest of them are guilty of 2 counts of galactic kidnapping.

21. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    The 3 of them were having a conversation and they were all clearly in agreement regarding the fate of the twins. So it is weak sauce to say he didn't want to take Luke away from his family, when he was certainly in 100% agreement that they do precisely that with Leia.

22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It's not a matter of what he wanted or not, but what is or isn't his. Luke is not his, therefore he didn't take him. Leia had just been adopted and Luke's rightful place should be with his family. It was either Naboo or Tatooine (the latter being more remote and unnoticeable, thus better to hide him). If his family wanted to give Luke back to Obi-Wan, I doubt he would deny to keep him and take care of him, but that's not the case.

23. CryGoneGin

CryGoneGin Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 28, 2013

This is absolutely how I see it as well. In fact, didn't Stover's Revenge of the Sith novelization say something to this effect?

24. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    Neither of the children are any of their's. I just do not understand why you are saying Luke's rightful place is with his family, yet you don't have the same feelings about Leia. You do realize they have the same parents, right..? ;-)

25. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    yes we know that Force powers can be passed on , but its not automatic , similarly some kids are powerful with the Force even tho their parents weren't .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.