main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

what happened to star wars detours?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by jacktherack, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Aha! At long last, Seth Green speaks!

http://www.theforce.net/story/front...Star_Wars_Detours_During_Online_QA_154173.asp

(note that's only a few lines of a longer Reddit Q&A that discusses it a little more. In the longer Reddit interview Seth concludes with "So Detours can sit on a shelf until the Star Wars movie comes out without losing any of its lustre, because what we've created is very funny, very smart and like I said before, timeless. [...] I will always err on the side of 'marginally useless but necessary.'" --> sort of an odd response...)

2. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Dammit. I was hoping it would detour into obscurity.

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    39 eps are done (like Clone Wars, probably did a whole season a bit before anybody knew about it)! Post Ep.7 online release method, that's my guess!

Here's longer-ish stuff he said:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/09...-wars-detours-just-gathering-dust-on-a-shelf/

So there’s actually been quite a bit of talk about this, but Detours is just on hold currently. We have 39 finished episodes and around 62 finished scripts. But that entire show was created before the decision to make more Star Wars movies, so our show (which was created by George Lucas) is an animated sitcom in the world of Star Wars, so we had a lot of conversations with Kathleen Kennedy about Star Wars in not just the next 3 years but the next 30 years, and when you’re in as privileged a position as we were to be able to work on Star Wars content with its creator, you get a great sense of responsibility to the whole.
    I was introduced to Star Wars as a child and it was without any ironic or comedic lens, so I saw Darth Vader as scary, and I saw all of those messages very very clearly. We didn’t think it made any sense, in anticipation of these new movies coming out, to spend the next 3 years with an animated sitcom as 3 generations’ of kids first introduction to the Star Wars universe.

I do feel that Detours is a timeless bit of entertainment. Media distribution is changing so quickly, so dramatically, that can you even imagine what distribution of content will look like in 5 years?
    In a day and age when Netflix series are nominated for the top accolades TV has to offer, what is to say what it will look like when the new Star Wars movie comes out? So Detours can sit on a shelf until the Star Wars movie comes out without losing any of its lustre, because what we’ve created is very funny, very smart and like I said before, timeless.

4. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I'm not sure why, but from the moment I saw the trailer for Detours, I thought that is exactly what Star Wars doesn't need.

5. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Hoping Disney keeps playing smart with this one and that we'll never see anything relating to Detours ever again. ugh.

spicer likes this.
  6. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Why so much hate? I love anything Star Wars and would be happy to see this series.

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Go haunt Yoda!

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  8. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Anything?

Pfluegermeister, Revanfan1 and Zer0 like this.
  9. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    Yes. Even the Holiday Special. I love that for how bad it is and how they somehow got Harrison Ford to do it.

Gallandro likes this.
  10. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Hopefully it’s been banished to a galaxy far, far away.

Team Padme likes this.
  11. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Detours looked awful in my opinion.

kubricklynch likes this.
  12. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    I am still looking forward to this series one day.

Revanfan1 and Gallandro like this.
  13. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    Yeah, the character design wasn't my favorite either. But it looked to be fun. A good laugh is never wrong. This wasn't meant to be a serious project anyway. Robot Chicken looks dreadful and is still funny as hell. :D

14. Green Gogol

Green Gogol Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 11, 2014
    Really hope to see Detours one day. It looks awesome. A Star Wars comedy sitcom!!! It's not as if it woud ruin the movies or something. It's just a bit of fun with the characters.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  15. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    When I first saw Detours, I thought George was trolling us.

I was hoping Disney would burying this project into a deep, deep, deep black hole.

TKT likes this.
  16. Green Gogol

Green Gogol Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 11, 2014
    Why? Is it forbidden to have a bit of fun with Star Wars?

Me, I always imagined Vader's cape was full of stolen watches that he would try to sell you on a shady corner. And that he could turn off his microphone and give in to his passion in private: Yodeling

17. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Kinda hope they just put it on Netflix for the hell of it. First season is probably finished already so they might as well just let the work of the development team pay off.

And, you know, I need something to hold me over until Rebels now that I finished TCW.

Revanfan1 and Force Smuggler like this.
  18. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    I think the Netflix route is the way to go, and frankly I see no reason for delaying the release. While Disney may be trying to restore some sens of lost "gravitas" for some OT characters, the reality is that was lost a couple of decades ago when "I'm your father" became a punchline and when Darth, Yoda, R2, C-3PO and the gang began hocking things like cereal, GPS devices, phone services, fantasy football leagues, cable networks, soda and the like... not getting that genie back in the bottle.

Yancy

19. Weechee

Weechee Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 12, 2013
    Disney took one look at that and said "this looks stupid, if this is the first thing that gets released after we buy LFL, people will blame us for ruining star wars, even though we didn't make it". Disney will need to prove that they can make good SW stuff before it will ever be safe for them to release that show.

Katarn's Beard likes this.
  20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  21. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I'm guessing from the sound of it that Detours is not going to be a multi-season show, since they've been sitting on the same episodes for forever it seems and seem to have stopped all further production. I'm guessing Disney will indeed release those episodes eventually, perhaps on Netflix. But that it will be like Season 6 of TCW. Disney will release what was completed, but is not going to continue with production of the show. It's not like the crew can just sit around until Disney finally releases the episodes. They're going to move on to other stuff, and I'd think already have.

So I think we'll get what was completed, but that's all we're getting (just my hunch).

22. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
  23. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I wouldn't mind if it was on Netflix for whoever wants to see it, as I think the idea of the show isn't very good, I can ignore it entirely.