main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Bounty Hunters at Cloud City

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by SlashMan, Sep 20, 2013.

1. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    In the Incinerator room of cloud city, there's some easter eggs in the form of a wrecked IG-88, and the head of Zuckuss.

Was this intentional, being a reference to the fate that these bounty hunters met? This scene was actually filmed a few months before the bounty hunter scene on the Executor, so it could go either way. It's notable that the IG-88 droid is painted white, as opposed to his plain metal look of the bounty hunter. The Zuckuss head is just bizarre. What do you think? Also, I know it's been addressed by the EU, so that's besides the fact.

2. Malcolm Reynolds

Malcolm Reynolds Jedi Master star 5

Sep 2, 2013
    Probably just had the costumes lying around,so they said,"why not?"

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    While there wasn't that much effort placed on background characters during the OT, as there was with the PT, it is possible that this was random. Then again, it is possible that it was meant to invoke the idea that Fett, Zuckess and IG-88 all showed up on Cloud City, but Fett won before the Executor arrived. The EU did what it did based off of that.

SlashMan likes this.
  4. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I just thought the white IG-88 head was another droid like him, just like seeing the various protocol droids. I never noticed the Zuckess head.

5. SlashMan

Feb 5, 2012
    That sounds like the best explanation; the white color was a noticeable difference (just like all the different colored protocol and R2 droids we've seen). The Zuckuss head seems like just a prop thrown in there, or maybe Boba Fett was more of a psychopath than we thought.

Sith-Mullet likes this.
  6. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    If you were to take the Super Empire Strikes Back game for the Super Nintendo as gospel, ALL the bounty hunters made it to Cloud City.

TX-20 and SlashMan like this.
  7. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Only Boba Fett, Dengar and IG-88 were on Cloud City at the time. Zuckuss and 4-LOM tailed the Rebels to their rendezvous point, while Bossk was deceived and went a totally different way.

8. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Zuckuss can suckuss. Dengar was an action figure that always got in the most perilous situations when I was a kid, probably because he was all bandaged-up and looked like he belonged in the ER. 4-LOM looked like a bug.

IG-88 is probably the scariest looking droid in SW, IMO. That weird head always creeped me out. Bossk is awesome when he goes "Mesk no trauff!" and nearly makes Piett pee himself.

9. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    I feel pretty comfortable thinking it's just another little foible in the trilogy rather than a conscious attempt at story telling. Like you said, the scene was shot months before the Executor scene. They probably had a lack of props and just threw in the unpainted IG-88 (yes the "metal" is actually paint) and the Zuckuss head to fill up the room. I doubt they considered how obsessive people like us would be scrutinizing every frame for decades to come.

10. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    [​IMG]

IG-88's easy enough to spot - is that Zuckuss second from the left? I'm not sure it's exactly the same head.

IG-88 and a relative can be seen moonlighting in the Mos Eisley cantina, too.;)

[​IMG]

http://bsmbow.blogspot.com.au/2009/11/bounty-hunter-ig-88-in-blakes-7.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. SlashMan

Feb 5, 2012
    Interesting stuff there; you've gotta wonder what happened to most of those props. And I know fans were stoked when they found the source of the IG-88 head.

I'm also pretty certain that that's Zuckuss's head (it's on the right side of the picture).
    [​IMG]
    Upon closer inspection, it looks like it was intended to be a droid head, based on the wires coming out of the eye socket.

12. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    That's Zuckuss' head all right, but I don't think you can read too much into these appearances. IG-88's a different colour, Zuckuss is probably just a coincidence. They were basically props on the Executor set anyway, not characters.
    (EDIT: Actually, on closer inspection, IG-88 still has that bandolier, so it's either laziness or an in-joke)

I can imagine the people in the props/set department having a chuckle about using the parts and making up their own little backstories about how these two bounty hunters ended up in line to get melted down.

That thing I pointed out in my post above looks vaguely familiar, too - it's not CZ-3 (a crappy looking droid you can see in the sandcrawler and stumbling around Mos Eisley), but I think it might have appeared somewhere in SW/ANH. Might just be the angle, though.

SlashMan likes this.
  13. SlashMan

Feb 5, 2012
    Interesting, they've also got a Treadwell droid in the mix. This scene is just filled with easter eggs.

Also, while many of these may simply be coincidence and us fans over-thinking it, we must not underestimate the genius of the folks at LucasFilm; some of their intentional references are even crazier than this. For example: a new replica of R5-D4 (the bad motivator droid) was made specially for Attack of the Clones, only to be briefly seen in the background.

14. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    If the fans of Boba Fett want to say that he was so awesome that he killed off his competition I'm game.

Ordo N-11 likes this.
  15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Zuckuss isn't a droid but an alien. Maybe he's there for a different reason

Tales from The Bounty Hunters explained IG-88's appearance at least (attempted to ambush Boba Fett, failed- but there's 4 of him that work on different bounties so he's not out of the story). However, other aspects of that story are much derided by many EU fans (his installing his personality into the DS2 computer).

Ordo N-11 likes this.
  16. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    How did Boba Fett figure out that the Falcon was heading for Bespin? Did Han do something stupid?

17. SlashMan

Feb 5, 2012
    Boba was the only one who stayed behind to witness the Falcon leave.

I've heard fans theorize that Boba knew the trick Han used because Obi-Wan used the same maneuver in Attack of the Clones to fool his father.

Ordo N-11 likes this.
  18. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Did you not watch ESB? Fett followed the Falcon. Once it became clear that Bespin was the destination, Fett called Vader to let him know so they could arrive before Han did.

19. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Ooh, I like it, looks like Boba Fett got there first.:p Zuckuss is easily one of the best character designs in Star Wars.

20. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Never noticed the Zuckuss head until now!
    That's odd, since he isn't a droid.:confused:

21. Yondo Kuromu

Yondo Kuromu Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 18, 2013
    Boba Fett killed his competitors.

22. Ordo N-11

Ordo N-11 Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2013
    If Fett killed IG-88 and Zuckuss, a furnace would be great way to dispose of the bodies.