main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ok but if I can't go bowling with my cousin then I just don't know how i'll enjoy the game!

RC-1991 and blackmyron like this.
  2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The problem with the radio stations in GTA IV wasn't playing music that I liked. I can't say I personally liked the majority of music in San Andreas, but the music fit - it was the soundtrack of the game. I tuned into the country station when going through the rural areas, the rap stations when cruising Los Santos. And then there's the ascetic pleasure of gunning down rival gang members to Lionel Ritchie's "Running With the Night" in Vice City. Pricless.
    GTA IV, I just turned the radio "off". It didn't feel like anything in particular. The DLCs got back in focus in many ways, right down to making the game itself like the focus - grimy and gritty for the biker DLC, and all bright, vibrant lights for the club DLC. I would've infinitely preferred to have those two as the main game.

@Jello - Ah, but you can do yoga, and hike and ... and...

Ugh. Well, at least your pals won't bother you constantly - you call them in the new game.

I hope they fixed the 'drinking' thing. Yes, shouldn't drink and drive, got it*. But I'd like to drink and walk, thank you. If my character really has to drink to the level he can't even function, set the clock ahead and have him wake up in an alley or his apartment or wherever.

*(of course, some of the best missions you do - like the one in VC where you have to rush your buddy to the hospital while totally drunk)

3. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Despite how often people complain about that (with good reason), it never actually troubled me that much. I'd often end up cancelling on them when something more pressing came up. Or maybe I was just a neglectful cousin.
    Word has it that some of them, at least, are as entertaining as the main game itself (tennis is usually referenced).

4. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I am enjoying it so far. The heists are great fun, and the options to how you tackle them are a new dynamic I like.

5. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    That is one of the best SW re-edits ive seen.
    Another guy that does really good re edit's is OneMinuteGalactica

(one of my favorites of his)

Lazy Storm Trooper and jSarek like this.
  6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  7. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    While we're posting Youtube links...

Spoiler warning for A Storm of Swords and season 3 of AGOT.

8. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Ugh, just got home from the 49ers game against the Colts. BRUTAL. I am a lifelong fan, but sweet Jesus was that painful to watch. Perfect 70 degree weather, awesome seats, good company, and a downright crappy game. To make matters worse, they stop selling beer in the 4th quarter and we missed the cutoff. A cold beer would of made things a bit less painful. Damned shame too, as this is probably the last game I will see played at Candlestick Park and my last memory of the stadium (which is to be torn down now that the Niners are moving to Santa Clara) will be of a shameful defeat. =((

Oh well, at least I have Boardwalk Empire on my DVR and a ready supply of good whiskies! [face_dunno]

--Adm. Nick

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Boardwalk Empire is starting up again? Yeesh, I haven't even finished season 2! It's, what, season 4 now?

10. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    I just started the first season tonight, after watching BB.

11. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I can barely stand after Breaking Bad these days, let alone watch anything else.

krtmd and Point Given like this.
  12. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Yeah, I'm currently rewatching BB (in the third season) and intend to finish the series around the time the finale airs. Unfortunately, this means I've had tons of close calls in regards to spoilers (I hear "Ozymandias" is a nice and tame episode with no major surprises whatsoever).

In other words: I humbly beg any BB season 5 spoilers be shielded from my virgin eyes.

13. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I'm thinking about actually making use of the insane BB super-marathon starting Wednesday to get into the show.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I watched the first few episodes and I just don't get the appeal.

15. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    It's what Dexter should have been.

16. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    One thing to keep in mind is Breaking Bad is a show that's slow to unravel, and not at all ashamed of it. While I do find that each individual episode is more or less satisfying on its own, its also one of those shows that isn't afraid to devote an entire episode to the aftermath of the climax of the previous episode, or to spend multiple episodes at a time simply moving the pieces into place. I love it because it's one of the few truly character-driven, rather than plot-driven TV shows that I can think of. And, because they're so careful in the build up, when the **** finally hits the fan, it really hits it (last two episodes of the third season).

I know you won't actually do it precisely because I'm recommending it, but I'd give at least the whole first season a try, even if it only gets astronomically better from there.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, since it's on Netflix I'm bound to give it a shot again at some point. I started it when I was bored, so we'll see. I have a lot of period dramas to finish first, and historical things ALWAYS get priority :p

Anyway -- just finished Dishonored at last. Wow, what a great game. Kept me on the edge of my seat constantly and I nearly had a heart attack near the end. I'm going to do the DLCs now and then try to finally finish Infinite -- but I have to say I like Dishonored WAY more than Infinite, despite all the hype Infinite seems to have.

(edit: also, I don't want to know what the "bad" ending is -- I want to play it through again on high chaos and find out).

18. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

As did I, the world and the game have a much, much better setup and writing. You also feel like you are actually doing something that changes the world, unlike with Infinite which just pushes you into a fixed direction.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    DLCs are pricier than I thought. I might do the sensible thing and wait for a sale. Boo.

Guess I can try high chaos in the meantime.

In other news, I just found out that my terrible interview from a month ago actually didn't go terribly after all.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

20. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Dishonored is wonderful, yeah.

Though if the next game doesn't have a NG+, I'm going to go mental. :p

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I hope in the next game we're someone similarly affiliated with royalty, because that was at least 75% of my enjoyment right there :p

22. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Either way, I'm really rather hoping that the next protagonist starts out as a nobody, whose legend we get to build from the ground up.

The thing about playing both Corvo and Daud is that they're both these legendary badasses before the Player ever steps into their shoes. And, if you're not very good at the game, it feels kinda inauthentic and weird.

Not that it was a huge problem for me, because I'm awesome at almost everything I do. [face_batting]

23. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I beat the first few levels of Dishonored, and was really liking it, but its one of those things that just slipped away from me. I need to restart it at some point.

24. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I didn't really like Dishonored that much. =(

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Uli: No I don't want to be some common worthless person. Every game has you start out as a worthless person! I want to be someone of substance! It's a game, let's have it be fantasy/wish fulfillment ok. Some people's wishes are to blow things up ala GTA and other people's wishes are to be courtiers and stuff. :p

Trip: I didn't like it at first either, but that was largely due to the fact that I play most games in third person. Then I got Infinite and it got me used to first person gameplay again, so going back to Dishonored was easier since it's a much better game. But the game didn't really click for me until some random NPC talked about how courtly Corvo was, and how they'd rather expected some cold assassin and I was like that's right, I'm playing a member of an imperial court! And then the game just exploded for leaps and bounds for me.

....but then I'm also super weird, so there's that too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.