main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Supershadow: Why Old Timers Are Skeptical About Rumors

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ManaByte, Sep 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    That's what I was thinking. I was trying to be polite though.

The words I was thinking of were something more like naive or even ------. ;)

2. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I call em like I see em. :p

Dra--- likes this.
  3. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I only started following spoilers on Episode II, so I missed the real craziness and Supershadow was a lame joke by the time I got in on the game. But the good news is that after Episode VII is released, we'll have a much better idea of who to trust for rumors on the rest of the movies.

Dra--- likes this.
  4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Supershadow is/was hilarious.

Dra--- likes this.
  5. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    I was on this site during ep. 3 hype under a different name (maybe Loupgarou or Kiskalou? I've had 3 accounts here with large gulfs of time between them, I always look back and go, 'oh man, I was an idiot, let's start over'. and in elementary school I lurked,and would play on Rebelfriends.net. Oh man, I loved that site. I'm getting off topic.). Anyway, I remember the aftermath of this anyway, some people still believed Supershadow's 'official' power level charts for jedi. and for some reason people thought young han would be seen on the Tantive IV? That doesn't even make sense.

6. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    Back then, I mainly visited the forums of "The Virtual Edition" of TF.N. We had much of the storyline for AOTC right a year before release...

7. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    Yeah, everyone is skeptical about rumors...
    I don't see the need to rationalize or blame a huckster from the past, or justify by pointing fingers in the present.
    We'll get info when we get it, and it's pointless to care to much about it either way. In the end, we're getting some new Star Wars stuff, right? Just relax and enjoy it. This thread is in no way relevant to discussion of the ST. Get over it.

8. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    I'll tell you how to spot real information: when Disney/Lucasfilm slaps aC &D on it. Then it's real.

I remember that's how we got an early pic of Grievous, from MilenniumFalcon.com. Is that site still up?

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Dra--- likes this.
  10. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Deserves a quote.

11. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Are we really still talking about Mr. Suttle? I thought that ship had sailed.

Dra--- likes this.
  12. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    It has. This is more an attempt to explain to the newer folks here that we have justified reasons to not respect rumors or rumor sites in general, particularly now, and if some people want to get all up in our face about being party-poopers by not taking the rumors at absolute face value, they have no right, because it's a healthy skepticism born of experience.

ManaByte and The Hellhammer like this.
  13. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Did it ever really leave the dock? I guess for some.

I object to the reference to "old timers" in the thread title, by the way. I'm something of an old timer (40), and SS certainly isn't the reason I or other people should be skeptical about rumors. We should be skeptical simply because they are rumors. But as many keep saying, with a light attitude, rumors are fun. What isn't fun is listening to people bash other people they don't know. That has nothing to do with Star Wars discussion.

14. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    I personally never believed it and the site really seemed like total BS, there was even that whole Pablo Hidalgo thing that the OP made me flashback about.

Still, If you were a young gullible kid those days, as I was (14-15), there was this little tiny feeling on the back of my head that made me go "what if there's a little truth in this?"

Today Supershadow is comedy to me, it even has a bit of nostalgic value, it certainly was a lot more fun than now that the prequels already exist so the fun can easily turn into ideological contradictions. Some guy says he'd be cool if Ewan McGregor portrayed Obi Wan as a young PT era force ghost and make up a whole excuse (not a storyline) about that happening, which I find totally baffling and nonsensical, then I'm all up his or her business saying why I would think that'd be totally wrong and so on and so on . . .

It's fun because it also lets out the true nature and background of fans. I'm not one to categorize but you can pretty much get what a fan is about when he or she starts speculating through rumors. Hell, I know I've been labeled (and attacked) for being a trilogy lover and a prequel hater. It's not like I always say "LOL the PT sux!" but you can get through the way I speculate that I don't want ****ing ROTS Obi Wan having a conversation with old Luke for ****'s sake!

There are also times where little gems appear with their origins right here on these boards. I have never felt humor and fear so tightly together through my emotional fibers as I felt going through the many pages of the netherworlds of the force thread.

I'm rambling as usual. Still, this is a nice thread. It's nice to step back and feel how entertaining and exciting these times are, a bit different comparing to the last speculation era, but fun nonetheless. Besides, there's a really high chance we're going to get far better movies than the ones we got the last time.

Edit: Gotta star out the whole word.

Dra--- likes this.
  15. Ringo_DeathStarr

Ringo_DeathStarr Jedi Knight

Aug 28, 2011
    Remember people claiming that even of the all so-called "SuperShadow Fans" were fabrications of his own. Writing forum posts on his own website with multiple sock puppets.

Strange man.

16. sons_of_anakin_tatooine

sons_of_anakin_tatooine Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2005
    guy may have a split personality disorder perhaps?

17. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I remember during the Episode 2 spoiler days, how he and some of his "fans" would troll tf.n posting threads claiming his spoilers as the real thing. They'd get locked and then more would return. It was a cycle that was always mocked.

18. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Jeez, the Episode VII-IX scripts on SuperShadow are utter garbage. I could have vomited into my garbage disposal and pulled out a better script.The only thing he ever got right was that there would be a Sequel Trilogy.. but sadly that's a pretty major bonus to his ego.

Blind squirrel finds the nut or somethin' like that.

Darth Raiden and ManaByte like this.
  19. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998

Exactly. That's the entire purpose of this.

20. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Ah, binary logic. Gotta hate it.

(Either you take rumors at absolute face value, or you don't. There's no happy in-between!)

21. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Yeah I don't take any rumors at face value until the source has been proven. Until then I pretty much just rely on logic and intuition for what I think could possibly be true.

Dra--- likes this.
  22. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    The internet age is so different than any other.

No matter how much fallacy, lies and slanting comes from ABC News or other such mainstream sources, they are SO vastly more scrutinized and likely to be true than anything on the internet, where ANY foolhardy meathead can spew anything he pulled from his rectum and put it on a website as if it is a scientific fact (and have idiots far and wide believing his crap).

Funny, a lot of elderly people don't get this distinction, and think everything they see on internet sites is as true as mainstream news. My landlord is such a person; she was warning me about "implants" that the Obama administration was putting into people's bodies through local doctors, so that Obama could monitor and control people; she told me if I had any doubt, I could read about it on the internet. Oh, OK, that removes all doubt.....

I basically don't believe anything I hear until it comes from a credible source, and end up being right at least 95% of the time (if not much more). SW rumors are almost never true; compare the number of rumors floating around to those that turn out to be true (a miniscule amount).

Dra--- likes this.
  23. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Oh, dear--our terrorist communist Muslim atheist president from Kenya has been at it again?

24. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Ah, Supershadow, the good ol' days. I had many a laugh over his site.

PrincessKenobi , KevinM1 and Dra--- like this.
  25. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    It's not over yet. :)

Almost 3 years till the next movie, anything can happen. Supershadow 2.0 could appear any minute.

Dra--- likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.