main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The "What-If?" Depository - ALL conceptual/hypothetical conversation goes here

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SithStarSlayer, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Alessandro Sanfilippo

Alessandro Sanfilippo Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 16, 2013
    Is the Clone Wars Anime Series and Movie EU or part of the Saga?

2. Alessandro Sanfilippo

Sep 16, 2013
    Qui Gon is bad example. He is OP and a Jedi Master. But he could kill any Lower Jedi

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Since EU is at the moment "everything that isn't the OT and PT movies" then, by definition, they are EU.

Are they "a higher level of canon than the rest of the EU" though? Yes: T-canon rather than C-canon.

Alessandro Sanfilippo likes this.
  4. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Or: force pushes, chokes and lightning...

Perfect addition to the Random Question thread, since the movies can't provide an answer.

5. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    We all know that Luke Skywalker was the main protagonist and hero of the Original Trilogy but who was the real/main protagonist of the star wars prequel trilogy?

6. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    I'm going to say Anakin. While he was not the main character of The Phantom Menace, the prequels centered around his downfall.

7. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Just because something is EU doesn't make it not part of the saga. The Star Wars saga contains everything from the G, T, C and S canon levels (but not the N-canon). If something on a higher level directly contradicts something from a lower level (and cannot be reconciled), then the higher level event takes precedence. Thankfully, this is a rare occurrence.

8. Alessandro Sanfilippo

Sep 16, 2013
    Is Jar Jar Binks the true Sith MasterMind behind all the events of EPisodes 1,2,3,4,5,6 and will be the bad guy on episode 7?

9. Rolf Larsen

Rolf Larsen Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 1, 2013
    Hi, I really love star wars, and anyway, I've invested a lot of money into it, and you should be aware before reading this that I'm what the LEGO community calls an AFOL (adult fan of LEGO (http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=80758 see that link if you don't believe LEGO is not just for kids)) Basically, I love star wars because of when I watched the prequels when I was about 6-9 years old, and yes, I am a die-hard fan of the prequels and original trilogy. Anyway, since when you're only 9 years old you don't care too much about the plot of what you're watching at the theatre as long as it's got lots of awesome special effects and loads of action, you can easily watch the movies and love them as a nine-year-old not only even if they aren't even good movies, but also even if you didn't have a clue what was going on.

And since I've grown up loving star wars so much, even when I rewatch the movies it's hard to tell if I like them because they're good movies, or because they create a sense of nostalgia for me. Also I have asperger's possibly so it makes it harder to understand or at least pay attention to the plots in movies. So basically I just don't want to spend too much money on something that I'll realize a few years down the road I don't like anymore.

So what I'm wondering is, even for those of you who didn't like the prequel trilogy, did you understand what was going on in each prequel movie?

10. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Welcome to the Boards @RolfLarsen!

What did you have a hard time with, if I may ask? And, did you understand what happened in the Original Trilogy?
    Or, was it only the Prequels that stumped you?

11. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Never had a problem understanding them.

12. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    You can always ask around here if there's anything specific that you feel you don't quite get.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  13. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Not entirely true...

[​IMG]
    The complete Saga can purchased on Blu-ray; but the cartoon movie & series are not included.
    By definition: the Star Wars Universe is comprised of the films and everything else that is officially licensed.
    ;)
    THIS, was spot-on.

:)

14. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Makes one wonder: is the Boba Fett part of the Holiday special part of the saga? it was included on the Blu-ray set... [face_thinking]

15. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    People who dislike/don't understand the prequels are usually people with too many preconceived notions of what they think Star Wars should be VS what Star Wars actually is, but it varies from person to person.

Generally, I think that a "good movie" is a movie which you enjoy watching. The short answer is yes, you like Star Wars because they're good movies. It really doesn't matter what part nostalgia plays in it, in my opinion. Nostalgia is an overrated criticism and an underrated emotion.

Count Yubnub and SlashMan like this.
  16. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I've never understood why anyone felt the prequels were confusing. The AOTC mystery plotline doesn't really have a proper payoff, but that's not the same thing as being hard to understand.

17. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    I agree with the notion that under your first viewings as a kid, a lot of details go over your head. But for me, the main plot points were made clear enough - to the point where the movies were not enjoyed solely on special effects and action value, but for characters and plot as well.

18. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    As much as I don't love the characters in the PT, I love the story of the PT for many reasons. It opens up the OT to this bigger universe and tells a much bigger story. I'm hoping the ST does the same. I like the story of how a republic crumbles and how a dictator takes power, because you can relate that to modern history. I think its a much more interesting story compared to your summer blockbuster, as its not your typical dummy movie of just effects and action. While I think Lucas did not succeed on many levels with the characters in the PT, I think the story and rise to power of Palpatine was very well done.

19. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Yes. The whole Palpatine arc was one of things I was really impressed with. I found that plotline far more interesting than the downfall of Anakin. Ian McDiarmid is just great. You could truly get a sense of how he could manipulate the political situation to his advantage and siphon power from the Senate without them even realizing what they had done. They were eager to hand him the reins!

Since I grew up with the OT, it wasn't really a question of whether or not I understood the prequels rather than trying to figure out how it all bridges to the OT and blends into the saga as a whole. From that perspective, I think GL succeeded.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  20. Rolf Larsen

Rolf Larsen Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 1, 2013
    Thanks for all the replies, everyone!

SithStarSlayer I currently think I understand the prequels well enough, but I was just wondering if, in a paralell universe where I was say, 17 or so when episode 1 came out and without aspergers, if I would have understood the story well enough, because I really want to like star wars, and instinctively i've always said I love it, but I just wanted to be sure that that love of star wars was not misdirected, because a lot of that love for star wars is what fuels my love for LEGO, and I didn't want to end up spending all this money (and LEGO can make a HUGE hole in your wallet) and then decide that I don't even like star wars anymore. Also I guess maybe it's nice to know that I like Star Wars for good reasons.

Anyway, you've all helped enough, someone can close this thread if they want. Thanks!

Count Yubnub likes this.
  21. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    No need to lock, I can turn your thread into a force ghost.:p

22. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    The First Dark Times?

With all the references to past Sith rule, is the era of Imperial tyranny actually the Second Dark Times?

23. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    More like third or fourth, to be perfectly honest. The Sith and the Jedi go through seemingly never-ending cycles of one side being dominant, then the other side.

Darth Dominikkus likes this.
  24. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    Yeah, from what I know it just seems like there's a constant battle for power over the galaxy between the two; never ending cycles of being in power and being out of power.

25. Chosenone55

Chosenone55 Jedi Youngling

Oct 7, 2013
    In Star Wars Episode II Attack of the Clones Obi-Wan Kenobi has trouble locating the Planet Kamino and he finds out that someone (Dooku) had removed its location from the archive memory but he did find it in the end

My question is did the location of Kamino get put back into the archive memory or not at all