main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT "Jabba, you're a wonderful human being!"

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Separatist101, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Separatist101

Separatist101 Jedi Master star 3

May 11, 2010
    I'm still not sure of what Han meant by this, was he using it as an insult to Jabba, or was it just a statement on what some humans are like, or what?

2. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    He's being sarcastic.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It was an insult. At the time, though, Lucas wasn't quite clear on what a Hut was. Be it a rank and file term, or the name of the species that Jabba was supposed to be. By the time of ROTJ, Lucas had decided that Hutt was an alien species.

4. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    [​IMG][​IMG] I should be ashamed of myself. ...should be.

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  5. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    If you want to over-think it, the Empire was pretty biased for humans. So I guess it could be a compliment in that sense.

6. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Good points. I think the comment was meant to be sarcastic as well, though when you see Han saying it to an obvious alien (in the ANH: SE & subsequent incarnations of ANH), it seems somewhat "off". So, I'm not 100% sure what Lucas intended by that comment.

It's interesting that the "stand-in" for Jabba when the scene was originally filmed was a human actor - though Lucas obviously never meant for Jabba to be human. Apparently Lucas wanted to have a Jabba alien in ANH, but the limited special effects at the time made this improbable/impossible.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  7. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    This is open to question, actually.

8. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    OK, I just did some quick research, and you may be right. Here's a very interesting link:

http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/jabba.html

It's possible that Lflm. may have filmed the scene and initially intended to keep a human Jabba in the film, then decided to cut it out since the scene didn't "work". That being said, Lucas (in the article above) stated that he always meant Jabba to be an alien.

I agree the line doesn't work as sarcasm "that" well. If Han was going to be sarcastic or insult Jabba, why call him a human being? Is it some kind of insult in the SW universe to call an alien a human?

And, why did Lflm. keep this in the SW: SE when Han addresses an alien Jabba? They could either have cut the line out, or modified the line so Han would say something else. Granted, maybe they would have needed Harrison Ford to re-say the line & it wouldn't have worked as well, but I'm sure that, even with the technology they had back in 1995/1996 (when they were preparing the ANH SE), they could have done something with this...

9. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    No it's not. In the ANH SE VHS tape, there is an interview with Lucas. "The scene was shot with an actor playing Jabba the Hutt to stand in for whatever creature we designed. Originally I had intended for Jabba to be kind of a furry character like Chewbacca. But as we went on and we redesigned him for Return of the Jedi, he obviously became a large slug and a very different kind of character."

10. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Then, as the writer of the article points out, why did they give a stand in actor complete makeup and costuming?

11. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Probably to make the substitution of a furry Jabba easier?

12. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Referenced for size and eye line. If the stop-motion creature didn't work, GL had the footage to fall back on with just Mr. Mulholland in costume. If neither was acceptable, he would drop the scene altogether- which of course, he did. I flip-flop back and forth whether or not I like it's inclusion in the SE or not. It's always cool to see new footage, but as a scene it was kind of redundant following the encounter with Greedo. Basically the same dialogue is spoken a second time.

13. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    How does that make it easier? If anything, as the writer of the article points out, a low budget film would never waste the time or money doing a complete costuming for a guy that they knew was going to be gone.

It's really not a big deal. It was clearly something they thought about doing but it just didn't work, so the scene was cut. It is certainly not the only scene cut from E4.

Skywalker Thing likes this.
  14. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    I definitely like the inclusion of that scene, especially once they improved Jabba from what was seen in the original SE.

Seagoat and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  15. AT-AT Walker

AT-AT Walker Jedi Youngling

Sep 20, 2013
    "Jabba, you're a wonderful human being."

One of the best "added" lines in the OT. I disagree, i think it works very well. :)

16. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Yeah. How is it not an awesome line?
    "Jabba, you're a wonderful human being" - That always cracks me up!

- He smashed up my pod last race.
    - Even I get boarded sometimes. Do you think I had a choice?

/LM

17. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I find that line to be twice as funny because Jabba is NOT human.

And Hutts (as well as several other alien races) looked down on humans & humanoids, so it was in fact a bit of an insult.

Revanfan1, Alexrd and Sarge like this.
  18. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Personally, I could do without the whole Jabba scene in ANH. It's not necessary. Jabba comes across as a weakling.

Skywalker Thing likes this.
  19. markdeez33

markdeez33 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2013
    I love that line, too.

20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    IIRC, the RotJ novel says that Jabba only speaks Huttese because he feels superior to humans. Han knows that, so he knows that calling Jabba a human will be taken as an insult.

Revanfan1 and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The A New Hope novel didn't have Han end the conversation with those words- but with something a bit more diplomatic.

22. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    It's like if I called an overweight human a Hutt. Calling a Hutt a human being is an insult. It'd be like calling a Tusken Raider a jawa wannabe.

23. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Looking at the drafts, it seems to me that Lucas intended for the character to either be the alien Jabba that's in the shooting scrip and sketch designs, and Oxus who was in the second draft that Lucas wrote in 75. Oxus was a large human, but much of his characterization is similar to the final version of Jabba. My guess is that Lucas was of two minds until at least March of 77, as to which version he was going to use, if at all.

Immortiss likes this.
  24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  25. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    It was an insult