main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who's The Baddie?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by fishtailsam, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Yes, by logical extension. It is rather objective.

Lucas truncated the original IX Episodes within ROTJ. Palpatine's demise was to occur in IX, but his arc ended in VI. A writer needs a new villain. Why not embed him in III and connect his story to the main protagonist, Anakin, a.k.a. Darth Vader.

Now, who is a greater threat than Palpatine? Perhaps his Master who practices the long forgotten Dark Side and Ancient Sith art of immortality. It is the ethereal plane motif Lucas described in interviews long ago. Plagueis also creates new and unique problems for the protagonist(s).

Although objective, I admit to being enthusiastic at the prospect of Plagueis, because he is, after all, a fantastic character.

BTW-There is plenty of room for other villains to be developed. Having Plagueis as the Uber-Villain allows the writers to create a handful of other characters to keep the GFFA fresh, new, creative. Plagueis in and of himself would be a twist on Palpatine.

2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Another "man behind the man" string pulling villain? Yaaaaawwwwwnnnnn.

Hey look, we created a second Palpatine! But he is boringer than the first one and basically Voldemort 2.0. Rejoice!

* Spelling mistakes made on purpose

Dra--- likes this.
  3. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Completely different context.

Dra--- likes this.
  4. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Even if it is a different context, I am just not interested in Voldemort 2.0 or Palpatine 2.0. I would like to see a unique villain, someone who is memorable.

5. sons_of_anakin_tatooine

sons_of_anakin_tatooine Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2005
    honestly id love to see luke be the villain this time around. maybe he could end up torn on his feelings after knowing his father was vader and frustrated that obiwan lied to him about who vader really was at first. do it kind of like a like father like son story and instead of having leia be the luke of this trilogy have the solo twins be the new face and hero

6. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    This is not the Skywalker you're looking for. What you mentioned also seems to weak a motivation to fall to the dark side. ;)

[​IMG]

This is the Skywalker you are looking for.

Dra--- likes this.
  7. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Not even different in context. Had Plagueis returned BEFORE Palps was done in by Anakin, they would have been at odds with each other. Their intentions are completely different, and had ultimately turned on each other by the end.

8. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013

Harry Potter is far different contextually than Star Wars. I despise the Voldemort comparison. It's too easy and without discernment.

Obviously. It was the implementation of the Sith imperative that was the objective. However, as I stated in an earlier post, Palpatine allowed himself to be seduced by his own grandiosity, leaving the imperative in shards. Plagueis's mission was implementation of the imperative...cold, calculating, clinical. That's why he's viable. It has nothing to do with Harry Potter or whomever else.

Dra--- likes this.
  9. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    It was also said by the same source that he had *achieved* the cheating of death. If we're going to be trusting this source (probably not the wisest thing to do), then we have to trust that Plagueis achieved it. Is it that far a stretch then to think that Palpatine's attempt to kill Plagueis coukd have very well failed? (Though he believed he succeeded)

Dra--- likes this.
  10. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    @Darth_Pevra's posts are almost always my favorite to read. She never refrains from letting you know exactly how she thinks. Even if it feels like a lightsaber in your heart. :(

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    "He could keep the ones he cared about from dying"

and

"He could save others from death- but not himself"

Hence- Sidious knows Plagueis achieved it because he watched Plagueis saving others from death (Superficially not a very Sith thing to do- but the Darth Plagueis novel has it be Plagueis killing experimental subjects then "cheating death" by bringing them back to life).

That said- Sidious does have a moments doubt about having successfully killed Plagueis in the Darth Plagueis novel, before rejecting it.

Dra--- likes this.
  12. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Plagueis is a mad scientist with major force mojo who would like to achieve immortality and control the force itself.

Voldemort is a powerful, evil magician who would like to achieve immortality with a racist agenda.

Beyond the surface goal of immortality, they seem like very different villains, imo.

Immortiss and Force Smuggler like this.
  13. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Well, they are both sorta evil magicians and scientists (Voldemort sure experimented a lot). Book Plagueis isn't as racist as Voldemort but he does judge people on race.

Here are some excellent reviews:

And btw I like to read your posts too. Even when I disagree. :p

Dra--- likes this.
  14. sons_of_anakin_tatooine

sons_of_anakin_tatooine Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2005
    did this off the top of my head. the title is just a place holder till i think of something better.

star wars episode 7

the rebirth of an old evil

opening scene

on the surface of the ancient sith world korriban luke skywalker travel's through the damaged ancient sith ruins in search of relic sith holocrons. passing through a corridor he see's partcialy faded glyphs on the wall of some what appears to be ancinet sith performing sith technuiqes , luke presses on and enters a chamber where a tomb lies and objects burried. luke opens the tomb and unveils the mask of darth revan . not knowing much on the man the myth the legend himself he takes the mask and grabs a few other sith artifacts and leaves . back on the planet korriban the tomb is still open and a group of inhabitants who are a cult like people realize the tomb was disturbed and they believe the ressurection of the man they worship has returned. the cult starts to do a chant of worship and a cold breeze enters the chamber and a ancient spirit awakens.

after returning to the falcon luke begins to try to figure out what this mask is and through the force his former mentor obiwan kenobi informs luke of darth revan and his tale. during the tale of revan a very dark tremor in the force happens in wich neither obiwan or luke has ever experianced before. feeling what he felt luke go's to the ancient jedi temple and trys to find anything on darth revan in whatever is left of the old republic library. after spending many hours luke only manages to dig up portions of revans history and meditates to calm his frustration down.

15. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Don't forget, Hego Damask is a financier. He was as grounded in the material world as Palpatine, who was merely a politician. I say merely, because in today's world the Oligarchs control the politicos and nothing is done without their consent. That aspect relates Plagueis in current political and economic terms.

Palpatine eliminated his enemies, one such was the head of the IBC, but credits are necessary for a functioning empire and I'm sure the dignitaries in ROTJ had something to do with keeping economic and political stability. Although totalitarians like Palpatine are independent entities who dominate all aspects of society and cultural life, one must live in reality, as well, in order to maintain stability and longevity.

Dra--- likes this.
  16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    sons_of_anakin_tatooine - If by "off the top of my head" you mean "I just cut and pasted this in multiple threads" it wouldn't change the fact that I have to ask you to please not suddenly become a spammer. One posting of your idea is enough. Thanks, sir.

Dra--- likes this.
  17. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    If only I could read your book!

The banking/capitalist side of Plagueis really makes him more interesting to me than before. Mixing the hardcore capitalist with the mad scientist is a winning character for me because it allows for a full critique of the materialist idols of our time: money and tech/science.

It sounds like everything is a commodity to Plagueis, which also makes him distinct from Voldemort. Voldemort uses people for his own benefit, sure, but he does value one group over another because he thinks they are inherently superior. Plagueis, on the other hand, views every living being as a potential commodity, something to be exploited if valuable, or tossed away (destroyed) if deemed useless.

18. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Regardless of whether or not they choose to use Darth Plagueis or someone related to him as a villain, I would love if the ST incorporated some of the political elements in the Plagueis novel. Luceno did an excellent job of describing how the Republic was being undermined from within by powerful oligarchs and influential businesspeople and financiers like Hego Damask, sowing the seeds of corruption, complacency, and decadence in the government through shrewd manipulation of powerful political figures, while at the same time empowering those in opposition to the Republic, the commerce guilds and other Outer Rim-based manufacturers, that would set the stage for the Clone Wars. While I wouldn't want the exact same scenario to play out with the New Republic or whatever government is established in the ST, I would like to see some nods to the often complex political and societal issues inherent in the GFFA as illuminated by the novel. As IRL, politics can be a dirty business and having credits really is king. The main villain of the ST can perhaps exploit such weaknesses in the government to undermine the good guys, softening them up perhaps for an impending external invasion, one that would bring the fledgling New Republic to its knees.

19. Vicarious Fan

Vicarious Fan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2013

Except that Plagues ashes are kept in an Urn in Palpetines office. Not to mention if Plagues was still alive that means the entire prophecy was wrong. George does say that Anakin is destined to destroy the sith which he does by killing Palpentine and dying himself. If Plagues is alive that kind of ruins that whole thing.

Plus i'm pretty sure Palpentine would have noticed his master still alive in the force.

20. Darth Archimage

Darth Archimage Jedi Master star 3

May 28, 2013
    Where is this referenced, I must have missed it if, it's in the Darth Plagueis Novel -- or is it from another source?

21. Vicarious Fan

Vicarious Fan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2013
    The Spirit Urn is in Episodes 2 and 3. It's mentioned that Plagues is in it in a behind the scenes book called Beware the Sith.

Darth Archimage likes this.
  22. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Well, you just said it. He's in the urn. That suggests he's still around.

By the way, for all things Chosen One, you should go to that thread. Suffice to say, now that we an ST, the Chosen One prophecy may still have relevance. What relevance that is or isn't is up for debate. But we can no longer just assume that ROTJ is the end of the story, because it's not.

Darth Archimage and Immortiss like this.
  23. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    None of this matters. New story means new conceptions.

Darth Archimage and Dra--- like this.
  24. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    "I'm pretty sure Plagueis could have fooled Sidious." "I'm pretty sure Sidious couldn't have been fooled by Plagueis."

Me too.

Immortiss and Darth_Articulate like this.
  25. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    This whole debate about Plagueis surviving reminds me of a theory I read somewhere that Palpatine was possessed by Sidious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.