main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TV Discussion Official Live Action Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by LucasBuiltMeHotRod, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    There... it has now been retitled to address TCW and the EU. The threads were too similar to both exist.

2. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Oh yeah... IMHO Sugi should totally be Michelle Rodriguez. The voice is a good match, and the attitude typical of the characters she plays fits the role of Sugi to a T.

3. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Now rethink of it, Sean Bean would be a good cast for Darth Sion. So all LotR actors for the Sith Triumvirate.

4. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Well, you know what they say about Sean Bean. He dies in practically every movie he stars in. This is one role where he'll be right at home---and better yet, he'll get a most unique death scene, being convinced by the Exile to let go of of depraved, tortured existence---and thereby simply dropping dead.

5. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    How is Cate Blanchett as Darth Traya?

6. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
  7. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Why?

8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    The only character I can see Blanchett playing is Satine

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  9. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    None of the humour of Kreia and a bland, emotionless voice.

10. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    She could be quite humorous.

11. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    *Thread merge*

12. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    As you may have noticed, I've merged a few LAS threads recently into this general LAS thread. This includes recent discussions about ABC reportedly looking into doing a live action show or talking to LFL about it. Let's keep the LAS discussion here unless / until something more official comes out. There is still a separate thread to talk about your ideas for casting for it, though. Thanks.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I've been watching a lot of Breaking Bad lately and I could see an Underworld show addressing some similar themes but on the GFFA level of course. We also got a glimpse of the lower levels of Coruscant in To Catch a Jedi.

This could make for interesting TV, although as some of you have said, TV-MA can't run on prime time and a cable network would probably have to take it.

darklordoftech likes this.
  14. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    *Bib Fortuna pulls up in a large speeder with blaster scorch marks on the side*

(all dialogue in Huttese)

Bib: Yo, Mister J. I got the product.

Jabba: ...You brought a spice lab to a space port...? Sithspit! Are you insane?

Bib: Well, maybe if you would pick up your holocommunicator, I would know what the plan was!

Jabba: Never mind, just drive. Go, go, go.

*Jabba and Bib are cooking spice. Luke enters the palace to rescue Han and Leia. Jabba hears the Palace door open*

Jabba: ...I thought I told you "no visitors." Get rid of him! I don't care how!

*Luke tries to enter the throne room, Bib blocks the doorway*

Luke: I've come to negotiate for the release of Captain Solo.

Bib: No. We ain't sellin'! Get out of here.... Slemo!

15. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    THAT is a great idea, don't get me wrong. But it'd kinda be a little self defeating for Star Wars to do something that shows off how horrible war is. Plus, I like to ignore TOR as canon.

16. Lord Optimus

Lord Optimus Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 30, 2011
    Bradley Cooper as Dash Rendar

17. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Hey, if you wanted to go real hardcore you could have a show, or at least an episode or two of a show, dealing with the Sith Holocaust. Undoubtedly one of the blackest things ever done in the name of the Republic, and one of the darkest deeds the Jedi Order was ever a party to... Supreme Chancellor Pultimo ordered the military to commit genocide on the entire Sith species, on their homeworld of Korriban and anywhere else they might be found. And they did it. Not only that, but the Jedi Order willingly participated also.

They massacred the vast majority of the species, but a remnant managed to escape them, and made their way eventually to Dromund Kass, where they slowly rebuilt their society.

It would be difficult to actually show the extent of such a thing onscreen I guess, while keeping the show in the PG bracket that SW has always been in.

18. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    You know, I'd prefer if they hadn't named it holocaust just to make the Republic look bad. Just call it a regular old genocide, especially since things like that happen every other week in Their Galaxy.

19. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Well, the wookieepedia page indicates it's not a canonical name, so apparently, the author of the article just decided to go with the word "holocaust."

My layman's understanding is that prior to WWII, the two words were generally considered interchangeable, with any differences put down to semantics. In the sense that the term holocaust is now associated with a specific historical act, the term "Sith genocide" may be more appropriate. I suppose if the distinction truly makes a difference to you, there's no reason you couldn't simply go into the 'wook and edit the entry, yes?

20. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    I hear that Agents of Shield did extremely well. That should give us hope.

darklordoftech likes this.
  21. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    I watched with an eye towards potential for Star Wars on ABC. It was... okay. Some of the dialog was sort of generically cheesy (and not in the same way people like to say SW dialog is cheesy), but it had its moments. I'd probably watch it again.

No idea how the show did in the ratings, though. Are they out already?

22. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    4.7/14 18-49, 12.12 million viewers.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  23. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013

Apparently, it did amazingly, considering it caused two other networks to greenlight comic-oriented shows they were sitting on (one from Fox about pre-Commissioner Gordon as a young detective, and one for NBC based on Constantine). Both seem like huge obligatory jumpings-of-the-shark.

As for Agents of SHIELD, it's a solidly Joss Whedon show, at least in its current state. I wonder if that familiarity is necessary to appreciate it, because it's almost too polished on its own. I've seen great response from people who already follow nerdy things, and lots of bad response from the general public, so it seems to be an element.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  24. Momotaros

Momotaros Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2013
  25. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Excellent. Thank you.

"it might not be the dark brooding adventure that was described. There is talk going on, but nothing definite yet as to what a new series could entail. In fact, it may not even happen in the time it was originally set. Again, preliminary talks are still going on so many things could change but right now there's a debate as to whether or not a television show would take place in between the Prequel Trilogy and the Original Trilogy, or should they go forward with a series that's between the Original Trilogy and the Sequel Trilogy. This way they could play on the new mythos this new trilogy is creating."

I'll say this, I've grown very interested in Star Wars: Underworld, as it has been described to us. In themes, tone and time setting, all.

That said, I think a series set between ROTJ and Episode VII could be a really, really good thing, insofar as it could answer some questions about the 30 year time span covered only in the EU thus far.

Just as an example, my biggest hope as far as new characters in Episodes 7, 8 and 9 is that we'll see Luke's son, but should he appear as a young adult in Episode 7, there will be the natural questions of who is/was his mom, what is his story up until now, and all the rest. These type of questions would not be exclusive to "Ben," of course (they could conceivably be asked of whichever new characters we get). A series set during the middle period between the OT and ST could perhaps answer questions such as these.

Now imagine that maybe (just maybe) some effort will be made to keep a semblance of the EU continuity intact. Just loosely, of course, without requiring the writers to be too handcuffed. Well, a production set in the early post-ROTJ timeline could cover things like Rogue Squadron, Thrawn and the like, while also setting up new characters and storylines. Basically everything people were mentioning for a possible animated series set during this time, before we had confirmation that Rebels would be set during the 'Dark Times.'

Or... it could still be set between III and IV. Or the Old Republic. Or the far, far future.

Or nothing could come of it at all. Exciting times ahead!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.