main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST So J.J. Abrams wants Star Wars to feel real.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by PrincessKenobi , Sep 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    No. I honestly think their is no way of knowing what the ''general consensus'' is, unless you conduct a poll worldwide. And that 1999 poll gives more evidence than any claim from what the opinion of a group of people in the internet is. Am I exaggerating with the reception of Indy 4? I don't know, maybe not. Again, I'm saying that it's possible that more people like the film than we think. All I am saying is that we shouldn't base our opinion of the reception of the public on what the internet says, because it's extremely biased and those who complain are in general, far less people than those who don't.

What I am trying to say is that, we don't really know for sure the consensus of these films. Most of the claims out there are based on their own personal view, and that varies from person to person. So, as the Gallup poll shows, the opinion of the PT may be more positive than previously acknowledged.

Jedi Knight Fett and Andy Wylde like this.
  2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah the very last 5 minutes of Prometheus felt tacked on. I wonder if that was a last minute decision?

3. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Prometheus had its faults, but Rapace delivered an admirable take on the Ripley legacy, some cool alien and future tech designs were featured, and, perhaps most importantly, in my view the film set the stage perfectly for a sequel. Right now I'm far more interested in seeing where that story goes than Captain Kirk and company facing down another Big Ship or the "big 3" teaming up with their children to tackle a new Darth.

4. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    My rule of thumb is that internet forums are probably the least likely place to find an insight into the views of those who exist outside of forums. We are very much a marginal community... even when it's quite a large community like this one.

I'm very much in the camp that believes cinema is primarily a visual medium... as such, I found Prometheus to be visually stunning (as I did with much of the PT). I thought where Prometheus lacked was in the thrills and chills department.

5. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    I think at the and it always comes down to the eye of beholder. 'Feeling real" means probably a completely different thing for each one of us. There are no universal truths about the six movies, they appeal to us for personal reasons.

I myself had a wonderful childhood growing up with the OT, adoring its heroes, watching the exciting space battles, pondering about the mysterious ways of the Force and the Jedi. When the PT came, I didn't feel my childhood raped, because I was instantly mesmerised by the technological advancement that enriched the already existing universe. It didn't felt a step backwards in terms of quality or "real"-ness, because it presented a different era, on different settings. From the PT, my favorite episode is probably still (don't hate me for it) TPM. There might be key points that others identify as flaws, but to me, TPM, along with the two other movies made a fantastic cinematic experience as an adult. I don't mind CGI, I don't mind clean and shiny sets (Coruscant, Kamino, etc.), I still find the podrace sequence as one of the most exciting and visually striking one in the PT, and oh hell, I always laugh my butt off when I see Jar Jar being silly. I absolutely loved Naboo, Amidala's complete wardrobe, and the bar scene in AOTC! We step in a completely different world! Sure it's a homage to the ANH cantina scene, but with so much detail! (many alien races, cameo of many actors, fashion, music, we see sports on the holograms, etc.)

I think the PT tried to show us a more complete view of the GFFA and with the help of technology, Lucas was successful with that. Some see it as a setback from the OT and its rough sets, clean and gray minimalistic military style, but I think we were meant to see both worlds. Prosperous worlds with beautiful flora and fauna, bearthtaking palaces and monumental buildings, with hints on everyday life and underworld, and also a more rigid world where war casted a shadow over many aspect of life, loosing its former glory. When I look at the films, I never try to compare them, trying to decide with tryilogy is better. I accept them the way they are. I'm hopeful of the new crew, JJ, Arndt, KK, Kashdan, and the new generation of heroes. Because I'm sure I'll find the things that capture my imagination in the ST too. [face_good_luck]

6. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I certainly don't think everyone hates the PT. But I think we have had enough time to get a feel for what the general consensus on the PT is, and I'm not just going off a bitter, vocal minority on the internet with an axe to grind.

There is a reason you never, across the mainstream media, hear a positive comparison between the two, and it's not bitterness. It' because there is a general perception (not held by everyone) that the PT is, by some distance, a shadow of the OT (and I'd say I'm being generous here). Take something like Avengers Assemble for example - whatever individuals may make of it, the generally assumed view of it is positive - a film that was well received by fans and critics and made a stack of money.

The general perception of the PT (fairly or unfairly) is that they were by an large a disappointment to many fans and critics but yet still made a stack of money. For example, you won't often see a top 10 all time cinematic disappointments without TPM on it somewhere near the top (I'm not trying to get into the why's of that debate - eg unrealistic expectations, audience no longer kids etc). Likewise, the general perception seems to be that ROTS was something of a return to form after episodes 1 & 2.

You will always see either ANH or ESB near the top of most all time classics lists. You never see any of the PT in those lists.

Again, I am not trying to diss anyone that does think the PT are every bit as good as (or better than) than the OT, and I realize this for most is going to be a very boring rehash of a debate that will go round and round for ever.

7. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I think to get some real perspective we'll have to wait until the generation that grew up watching the prequels, and TCWC, are old enough to be writing reviews, making movies and stating influences etc. As someone who likes the PT, my perception is that currently popular opinion sides with the OT... but qualitative differences aside, I think it's a bit like each generation having its favourite Bond or Doctor Who etc. Undoubtedly, those kids that loved the PT will come of age and add their preferences into the mix.

8. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Definitely. Personally, as a screenwriter myself, I think there are definite objective inferiorities between the PT and the OT although there is plenty I enjoy in all three Prequels. But I agree that it will be fascinating to see the reaction as kids who discover all the films at the same time perceive them as they grow up.

9. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    That quote is wrong, I never said that, don't know how it happened.

10. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    It might have been me accidentally only trying to use part of a quote. It keeps going screwy for me. Apologies.

11. Ganger

Dec 9, 1999
    No worries at all! Just thought it was pertinent to clarify I didn't say that.

FinleySlade likes this.
  12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Everyone please play nice and also stay on topic (topic is "JJ Abrams wants SW to feel 'real'"). Don't get sidetracked by excessive Prometheus discussion or PT vs. OT arguments.

FinleySlade likes this.
  13. El Jedi Colombiano

Jun 24, 2013
    I agree. Most of the people who were influenced by the PT were my age (19) or younger, so we may not see the reality until later.

The media is manipulated and often biased towards the side of the haters. Sure, you aren't going to find TPM in a list of classic films, but that wasn't the case with ESB either a decade after it was released.

14. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Well, agree to disagree, dude. Let's move back to the "reality discussion".

15. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Real = Good
    Unreal = Bad

16. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013

Seems legit.

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Star Wars is more fantasy than science fiction.

18. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
  19. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    "Real" is pretty subjective in a movie, especially a movie like SW. I want the lightsaber fights and space battles to look like the actual lightsaber fights and space battles I've witnessed in real life... oh wait. :p

20. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    I'm thinking this thread is repeating itself :p

21. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Which is bound to happen.

22. Ganger

Dec 9, 1999
    I think JJ Abrams was as clear as day in his statement.

This thread is not about how real Star Wars is, but about a desperate group of nerds hungry for news about their new space movie. now THAT'S real.

23. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    This excellent ESB BTS interview with Kersh pretty much nails what I think and hope JJ is talking about and touches on real vs believable.

Also has some funny comments about Luke/ Leia and Han in hindsight.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  24. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Michael Fassbender for every character ever!

25. El Jedi Colombiano

Jun 24, 2013
    it's a space opera

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.