main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    That picture is awesome ... saw something similar a few years ago, great to see an updated version! [face_party]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helicarrier

So how would the Helicarrier look on the image above? One pixel?

2. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Nah. Presuming it's about the same size as a regular aircraft carrier, it'd probably be about a fifth the size of the ISD. Not significant, but not invisible, either.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Hey Nick, notice that Home One is 3.8km and Mediator is a Star Dreadnaught (using WotC's Star Defender, no less!)? [/troublemaker]

edit: Really, there's so much fanon on that chart that it makes my head spin. People should just stop :p

4. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Darn it, Jello, why didn't I think of that?

5. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Sweet!

Though I have to admit I am surprised at how big the Babylon 5 ships are. Not that I know their official sizes or anything, but assuming that starfighters in most franchises are roughly the size of modern jets, and then comparing them to their capital ships, I got the impression that Babylon 5 ships would be on the small end of the scale.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I just got home about half an hour ago and can finally look at the ship picture; I couldn't see it on my phone.

That is really neat and impressive.

7. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Aye. Four days with a bullet hole in the cat. Probably some strong crank.

8. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    And within a few weeks, I'm sure the chart will be cited by people on the Internet as a 'source'.

9. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Can't decipher the ebonics. I hope your cousin is healthy. Cheers. [face_flag]

10. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    So, this week on "RC and his IRL friends play Pathfinder..."

So, our current module reminds me of Helm's Deep, if Saruman had Uruk infiltrators sabotage parts of the defenses prior to and during lulls in the siege. We're defending a wall with a gate in the center, archers and trebuchets on the parapets, with maybe 100 guys holding off thousands (kinda sounds like another Wall, now that I think about it- we even fought something similar to Coldhands last module). At one point, the orcs called for a parley, where they informed us that some shaman had encouraged them to migrate south, because "humans are a plague" or some crap (the shaman must be played by Hugo Weaving, I suppose). They offer to give us our lives in exchange for allowing them to pass through peacefully. Before the rest of the party can get a word in edgewise, I tank the negotiations by doing my best Ganner impression ("SEND US YOUR THOUSANDS, ONE OR A TIME OR ALL IN ONE RUSH. I DON'T GIVE A DAMN. NONE SHALL PASS"). I roll a 19 for intimidate, which coupled with my current intimidate stat of 11 should be pretty damn scary. The enemy commander scoffs at me and informs us that they will feast on our bones on the morrow. Admittedly, if i had managed to roll a 20, I could have very well tanked the entire campaign by intimidating the enemy force into retreating. In any case, I wittily ask him to save us some seats in hell. Moral victory.

Two members of the party spent a good 30 minutes debating how to set up defenses in front of the gate, and opted for a 20-foot deep ditch, filled with stakes, surmounted by a 20-foot rampart, with burning pitch to boot. Another party member found out that the local priestess is having an affair with the Wall's commander when she ran to him after said part member kissed her. Our party's druid fought off a bat-thing by enchanting a bush to attack it. Anyway, we're currently down to about half-strength, the halfling and the cavalier are interrogating the infiltrator (same halfling who kissed the priestess), the Elf Ranger and the gnome Magus are repairing the defenses, the half-orc barbarian is just kinda twiddling his thumbs, and I decide to infiltrate the enemy camp in hopes of assassinating the Orc commander, having been urged on by my party, who may or may not be trying to get me killed after having tanked the parley.

I deftly sneak through the enemy lines, evading sentries, and make my way to the flap of the Orc commander's tent. As I eavesdrop, I learn that we have indeed inflicted horrific losses on the orcs, and that tomorrow's assault will be an all-or-nothing affair (somewheres Constantinos XI Palaiologos is rolling in his grave). I wait for the commander's entourage to leave the tent, and for the commander to go to sleep. I roll a perception check, decide that it's quiet enough inside to make my move (btw, I have the Bond theme playing in the background). I make a stealth roll.

That's a critical fail, isn't it?

Yep, that's a crit fail.

Pseudo-Lurtz turns from his table and looks straight at me, complementing me on my sheer ballsiness. Rather than calling the guards, we begin to exchange witty barbs over how the day's battle went, and how he recognizes me from the earlier parley. Orcface McGee offers to trade me my life for information on the garrison layout and strength, as I'm slowly edging into shanking range. It was at this point that the GM called it a night.

DRAMATIC CLIFFHANGER.

instantdeath likes this.
  11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I could roll a 19 on a stealth roll and it would still end really badly for my character. Given my sheer propensity for rolling 1s, it's good that Saga doesn't have critical failures :p

12. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm playing a Star Wars-influenced Iron Kingdoms game. Because I know nothing about the Orgoth, I flat out made them the Sith from The Old Republic.

One of our PCs is thus a Sith Lord-in-training.

13. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    All of these fun stories about campaigns that people are in make me wish I had friends who played RPGs that weren't computer-based. :( Though, truth be told, before a few years ago, I probably wouldn't have joined the group anyway, I was an extreme introvert through most of high school and undergrad college. Missed opportunities...

14. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    So I did that. And now I'm hooked.

15. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Your views don't help anyway, unless you're part of a Nielsen household.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yep -- it's actually a very small group (supposedly statistically representative) that actually gets taken into account at all. If you don't have Nielsen box, you're not counted.

17. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    [​IMG]

On a related note, I myself finally started season 5 today. Damn, I know this is where most people say they hate Walt... but I think I love the guy more than ever. He's become downright scary.

RC-1991: Damn, that sounds fun. Closest I've ever come to something like that is Arkham Horror. Keep updating, as I'm genuinely interested in who wins the clash of witticisms :p

18. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Lord, am I the only person who's actually up to date already?

19. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Seems so, as I am also stuck at Season 3 :/

20. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    No, I caught up several weeks ago. It sucks though, this infernal waiting between episodes...

21. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

Fina-*******-ly

22. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I actually didn't start watching until around the end of the fourth season--I binged four seasons in about a month, then had to wait nine months for the next eight episodes. After that, a week at a time is a breeze.

I'm all for creative profanity, but that makes no sense. :p

ma_petite and Point Given like this.
  23. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Alliteration.

Edit: Ah crap, I see what I did

ma_petite likes this.
  24. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    God, there are just too many shows to watch. I can barely keep up with my current list of shows. One day, I plan on going back to watch stuff like Mad Men, Breaking Bad, The Wire, and The Sopranos, but here is just not enough time in the day.

--Adm. Nick

25. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I just settle the dilemma by not watching any of them. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.