main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pronounciation of AT-AT Walker?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by AT-AT Walker, Sep 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AT-AT Walker

AT-AT Walker Jedi Youngling

Sep 20, 2013
    I've always called it the Ay-Tee Ay-Tee Walker. I swear I heard it on a commercial for the toy, but when I found the commercial on Youtube, the toy was called At-At.

Where did I get Ay-Tee Ay-Tee from?

2. Merkual

Merkual Jedi Master star 4

Jun 3, 2013
    it's AT-AT (atat)

just as TIE Fighters aren't Tee Eye Eee Fighters :p

3. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
  4. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I prefer A-T-A-T or Imperial Walkers.

They say it both ways in the games. Battlefront I know for a fact says both.
    Plus the AT-ST. Is that 'at-ssst' or Aytee-Estee? I say the latter, always have.
    For continuity's sake I think that AT-AT should be the same pronunciation.

5. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah I always pronounced them as AT-AT.

6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I was in the Ay-tee Ay-Tee camp for DECADES, I'm not even kidding, I was too young to see any ads for them, the making of ESB videotape I had since the 80s only referred to them as "snow walkers", in ESB they only say "Imperial walkers", then I heard a co-worker call them At At's and then DVD commentary for ESB Ben Burt called them At ats. I was living a lie! Problem is "Ay-tee Ay-tee" pronunciation is in my brain for so long, I still think it's that!

I hope in Ep. 7 somebody calls them "Ay-tee Ay-tee". Somehow, I would feel vindicated. And then everyone ELSE would have been wrong for decades! ah-hah--ah-ah-ah-aha!!

SlashMan and thebeanpole like this.
  8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Is this a trick question? Clearly you would pronounce it however Mr. and Mrs. Walker named you...

AT-AT Walker likes this.
  9. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    I bet civilians, and armchair military "experts" and Imperial Officers appearing on the in-world GFFA holonet version of the Military Channel call them Ay-Tee-Ay-Tees, while the troopers who use them and/or whoever they're up against call them "AT AT"s, or just "walkers" for brevity's sake. Also, I bet none of the "experts" on the GFFA holonet version of the Military Channel would ever call AT-STs "Chicken Walkers" either....

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  10. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    I say both but I think I most often say at at, but when I say AT-ST I pronounce it as a-t-s-t.

11. Separatist101

Separatist101 Jedi Master star 3

May 11, 2010
    I agree, I pronounce it "Ay-Tee-Ay-Tee", it's more natural to me than "at-at", like you say you don't pronounce "AT-ST" "at-ssst", so why pronounce AT-AT "at-at", if "AT-ST" is pronounced "Ay-Tay-Estee" it's only logical to pronounce "AT-AT" "Ay-Tee-Ay-Tee"

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    @@

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  13. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    A-T-A-T, because it is consistent with the pronunciations of A-T-S-T and A-T-P-T.

SebulbaEpicOwnage101 likes this.
  14. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    Wow, so weird. Guess I've been pronouncing wrong it all these years! I've always said "ay-tee-ay-tee". :p

15. DarthRelaxus

DarthRelaxus Chosen One star 5

Apr 23, 2007
  16. Separatist101

Separatist101 Jedi Master star 3

May 11, 2010
    Agreeing with what someone else said, you also don't pronounce "AT-PT" as "at-puht", it's "Ay-Tee-Pee-Tee", I wanted to edit me original post, but I don't seem to be able to

17. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    I always pronounce it Ay-Tee Ay-Tee. Surprised to see so many people pronounce it as at-at.

18. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    "at at" just sounds so... cool.

"What's that?" "Run! It's an at at!"

Although generally people tend to soften the first T when they say it so its more like "ad at"

19. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    Aye Tee Aye Tee Walker

20. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    The people I know pronounce it as ay tee ay tee as well. I hardly ever hear people pronounce it @@.

21. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I personally think At at sounds stupid, so I have always said Ay-Tee-Ay-Tee, but mostly because it lines up with Ay-Tee-Ess-Tee and Ay-Tee-Pee-Tee, etc. Funnily enough, I did used to say "Four-Lom" instead of "Four-El-Oh-Em", but I have always said "Tie" and "Arc-one-seventy" instead of "Tee-Eye-Ee" and "Ay-Ar-See-One-Seventy".

22. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    I say A-T-A-T and get annoyed when people say it the other way.

23. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    Funny. I just watched the Making of Robot Chicken SW and they said "atat" too. :S

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This is one of those odd words which sound nothing like their spelling. In the film, they actually pronounced "AT-AT" as "Imperial".

Pensivia and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  25. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    I always thought it was "At-at" (rhyming with cat).

And I also just want to say that I love the fact that this thread has 24 replies so far...no SW detail is too small to be considered and discussed here on our beloved JCF, and I love that:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.