main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is the Emperor really dead?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LANDO_ROCKS, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3PO

3PO Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    All this debate over more EU trash.

He absorbed the lightning in the movie. That transformed him. Case closed. None of this "oh this book said this" crap. [face_not_talking]

cwustudent and gambit420 like this.
  2. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
    Anyway, symbolically it is obviously clear-cut. He had a mask of civility and it eventually slipped/was destroyed, revealing the evil soul underneath. Perhaps, like Dorian Gray, his features had even decayed as a result of his years of accumulated evil deeds and thoughts.

Immortiss and Dra--- like this.
  3. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Every thread in the forum, you mean. I'm starting to hate JJ, Disney, and Marvel, too.

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The forum in general is.

Dra--- likes this.
  5. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    I feel like the ST would be disconnected from the PT and OT if Sidious died in ROTJ.

Dra--- and Count Yubnub like this.
  6. sons_of_anakin_tatooine

sons_of_anakin_tatooine Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2005
    i love how you pretend this false image that the eu is crap but in the end you will still see the film regardless and if it was someone like revan or darth bane youd be the first guy to eat it up in a second. and imo that makes you a hypocrite because such charachters are from the eu so are you going to say those guys are trash also?

Dra--- likes this.
  7. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Which is exactly what the book says. I don't see how movies vs. EU is even relevant here. The movie and the book say the same thing.

Dra--- likes this.
  8. gambit420

gambit420 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 14, 2003
    i dont even know who those guys are..... so yes its trash

cwustudent and Dra--- like this.
  9. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Sidious cannot be destroyed. Only absorbed.

10. KOBBRA

KOBBRA Jedi Master

Sep 15, 2013
    I think he will return like a ghost or something like that! And after that he will find DNA or something else and will clone Vader! ;)

11. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I'd pay to watch that.

12. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    If he/she doesn't say it, I will. The EU is nothing more than published fan-fiction. Putting those 8 gold letters at the top of a product doesn't mean its a good product and that I must accept its presence in my head-canon. There's a lot of garbage in the EU.

And yes, the emperor is dead. Until GL changes his mind.

Dra--- likes this.
  13. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    This is a tough call for me, because on one hand Palpatine has been an integral character in the Saga and I don't really care for the idea of him being dead and gone 2/3 of the way through. I could say the same about Anakin as well, but the fact that he appears as a ghost at the end of ROTJ leads me to believe that his role in the story may very well not be over yet. On the other hand, bringing Palpatine back without it seeming seriously contrived is a very tricky proposition. I do think it could work though as long as it is organic to the overall story of the ST, for instance if it deals more explicitly with death and certain Jedi's ability to retain their physical presence in death (and personally I'm a big proponent of this approach, along with the inclusion of the long-fabled Whills), then Palpatine's return could work thematically in direct juxtaposition to the secrets mastered by Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Yoda and Anakin. I don't know if the powers that be would be interested in going down that road, or if many fans would be either for that matter, but I know I would at any rate.

14. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    The Emperor should be dead at this point. He fell to the bottom of the reactor shaft but if by some miracle he survived that fall, the huge explosion of the death star will vaporize his body completely and there's no way anyone can survive that.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  15. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    There's those pesky things called spirits...

Dra--- likes this.
  16. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Maybe the explosion of the Death Star saved him? What is an explosion other than a release of energy? Maybe Palpatine's fading spirit absorbed the energy and he was able to retain his consciousness in the force? Who knows what happened to Palpatine at the quantum level when the DS exploded?

17. 3PO

3PO Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2003

A) I don't even know who Darth Bane is (more EU crap)

B) If they enter the movie lore, they are no longer EU now are they? And how about you try to read all of my posts before going on some tangent? I've already said anything SWTOR related I am fine with (or either of the TOR games).

C) "pretend this false image" - lol.

D) This coming from you is hilarious. Every post I've seen of yours is clinging on to hope that anything and everything EU will be included against all logic. "I love how you pretend this false image that eu is golden".

Darth_Pevra and Dra--- like this.
  18. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    "I don't know who/what that is, so it's crap!"

[face_laugh]

Ah, well, there's a mature argument if there ever was one.

19. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I agree that a lot of the EU is crap. But that doesn't mean we have to be dicks about it.

Unless we're talking to sons_of_anakin_tatooine who really really loves that crap.

Immortiss likes this.
  20. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012
    The ST is in a weird place where there's an entire generation of fans that feels/knows that the Emperor died at the end of RotJ. Bringing him back as an active character would simply undermine the Rebels' victory over him, and diminish a lot of what happened at the end of that part of the saga.

I don't like the spirit/Force Ghost idea because I always had the sense that Jedi tried to act in harmony with The Force whereas the Sith used The Force as a tool and weapon. I don't like the idea of essentially rewarding Palpatine with an afterlife which seems to be closely tied to a person finding peace with themselves at the time of their passing, something Palpatine clearly wasn't.

That said, I think we all hanker for more scenery-chewing goodness from Ian McDiarmid. So, with that in mind, I'd love it if the villain-to-be stumbled upon some Sith Holocrons recorded by Palpatine. We'd get more awesome and Palpatine's influence would still be felt.

TKT likes this.
  21. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Palpatine doesn't really strike me as a guy who would make convenient little notes for a potential successor.

TKT likes this.
  22. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    If Sidious were to find a way to return, be it as a ghost or whatever, it would likely be through more unnatural means than the Jedi, and probably therefore even more disruptive to the balance of the Force. Perhaps even something which is a mystery to him, such as being somehow tied to Anakin's life force and finding a way back through him.

Dra--- likes this.
  23. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012
    With the Rule of Two, the Sith are always just two people away from being wiped out again. It would be stupid to not have a cache of Sithy stuff saved somewhere to keep the culture and secrets alive.

Dra--- likes this.
  24. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Why does the Sith afterlife need to be a reward or harmonious in any sense? I imagine it as something more like Hell for them, and the Sith wanting back out into the material world. Material power is what a Sith loves most.

25. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    So does the very existence of an ST.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.