main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New IMAX Rumor

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ManaByte, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I wouldn't be surprised if it was in some type of 3D. Wouldn't really matter to me though, I'll most likely go see it regularly.

2. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    3D cannot be shot with IMAX cameras, 3D will be post-converted ;)

3. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    IMAX really needs to upgrade their game in helping general audiences distinguish between legit IMAX and lieMAX. I understand why they don't really bother in doing so, but it angers me when people go watch a movie and praise how "awesome" it was because it was in IMAX; little did they know it wasn't the actual IMAX format. There's tons of theaters out there that get away with this, and it's really sad. I think what's sadder is that IMAX almost encourages the proliferation of lieMAX venues. Yes, their brand is becoming more recognizable, but at the same time they're just diluting the quality of it.

4. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    Yes it can. Michael Bay released a Transformers 4 pic this morning of himself filming with the IMAX 3D camera.

5. vinsanity

Jan 28, 2013
    I heard he was going to shoot with IMAX digital cameras, didn't know it was 3D also, it's going to be the first film with that technology. Still JJ will probably use the 70mm IMAX cameras for EP VII

6. Erevador

Erevador Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 10, 2013
    IMAX has become very confusing for people in recent years, since most films that are SHOWN in IMAX are just blow-ups and were not shot in the format. Actual large-format film is almost never used in major films, though Abrams and Nolan have experimented with using some of it in their films. I predicted months ago that Abrams would heavily use IMAX for these films, his near unlimited budget will allow him to use it extensively. Personally, I think the image quality from natively shot IMAX is untouchably great, simply the best image there is. Some of the best looking films ever made, such as Lawrence of Arabia and 2001: A Space Odyssey were shot in 70mm large format. Shooting IMAX film doesn't decide your aspect ratio though, you can still extract a 2:35:1 image from it, it's simply a much larger 2:35:1 image than you would get out of 35mm.

On an image level, it's totally superior to 35mm in every way. I recommend watching the 70mm film SAMSARA to get a sense of just how gorgeous the format is. It's great to see it finally making a comeback. It's film's best response to the innovations of digital, as it is still a superior imaging format in most ways to digital capture.

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    He shot some of Into Darkness with IMAX, IMAX is officially a thing now, I can totally see this happening. As to aspect ratio swap, that will happen in the IMAX theatres but if into Darkness Blu Ray is any indication (and to keep format consistency with the other films) the home release will be the same aspect ratio. But watchin' in theatre, flip-floppin mid scene.

8. vinsanity

Jan 28, 2013
    I saw the 4K remaster of Lawrence of Arabia in the cinemas, a couple months ago, and the image was absolutely glorious. Another interesting comeback was the 65mm in Paul Thomas Anderson's The Master, was the first film in almost 15 years to use that format, since Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  9. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    ManaByte
    DARTH_BELO
    vinsanity

And @ anyone else who wishes to join in, another question, if you'll indulge me one last time.

From watching the video vin posted, I see that IMAX cameras film in a different aspect ratio than standard cameras do, which leads me to wonder: If Abrams chooses to film some scenes in IMAX, when I watch Episode VII on a standard theatre screen, I imagine the IMAX scenes will be cropped to fit in with the rest of the film, yes? Or would the picture bounce between the two?

And what about the inverse? If I were to also check it out in a proper IMAX theatre, would the 35mm scenes be sliced and blown up to fit the 'taller than wider' screen? I freely admit I may be missing something obvious, but it seems like an awful lot of info would be lost between the two? edit: It looks like BigAl nija'd me with at least part of the answer while I was typing.

And incidentally, how does one tell ahead of time if you're gong to see a legit IMAX theatre for the first time?

I know what you're thinking "just get off your butt and go find out for yourself.' And, well, fair enough. :p

10. ManaByte

Aug 20, 1998

The BD version of STID doesn't switch, but the digital version DOES. Also both TDK and TDKR switched aspect ratios.

11. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    The best movie, remaster or not I've ever seen in a movie theater. It was breathtaking.

12. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    yeah i just saw this. interesting.

13. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    IMAX if done right will be JAW-DROPPING!!!

14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I can see that happening for Ep. 7 (aspect ratio stationary for blu ray / DVD, digital version does not) the TDK & TDKR I think is an oddity, most movies that even have IMAX shot stuff seem to stay with a single aspect ratio (haven't seen a blu ray of Dark of the Moon, though, to compare)

15. ManaByte

Aug 20, 1998

The Wal-Mart edition of Transformers 2 switched aspect ratios too. Dark Knight isn't really an oddity.

16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah but that brings an aspect ratio switching blu ray to a total of maybe, what, 3 or 4? Heck, how many films have actually been shot with the ole IMAX. There was a freakin' Twilight movie in IMAX! Did they shoot it in IMAX to get Bella Swan's terrible acting projected 50 feet high? (I think ASM shot it's climax in IMAX, cuz I remember an aspect ratio swap near the end but the Blu Ray don't do that)

EDIT: ooop, yup, ASM did aspect ratio swap in the climax but the Blu Ray / DVD stay the same: http://www.imax.com/community/blog/the-amazing-spider-man-swings-into-imax/

17. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Okay, so it seems that in an IMAX theatre presentation, there will be "ratio sapping" (and I get that for blu ray releases, there are sometimes different ways it is approached), but what about in a regular, old-fashioned theatre presentation? Are the IMAX images then generally cropped to a standard ratio?

I tried to get an answer from wiki, but they couldn't even tell me which is the current aspect ratio for standard theatres (1.85:1? 2.39:1?). I'm so confused. 8-}

18. ManaByte

Aug 20, 1998
    Depends on the movie as far as ratio swapping goes. Skyfall, the ENTIRE movie, was full screen IMAX. But unless they do that, there is ratio swapping in theaters.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  19. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    Oh I'm all for the IMAX 3D experience. But after I watch it in regular 2D followed by HD3D.

vinsanity likes this.
  20. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    1.85:1(Flat) and 2.39:1(Scope) are the two commonly used aspect ratios in the United States. If you are watching a movie in a non-large format screen chances are it's one of the two. As far as I have known from my experience working in a theater you won't see any swapping in the Flat ratio since it's taking up the entire screen top to bottom and side to side. I have also never seen it on a scope movie outside of IMAX.

21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    They stay the same aspect ratio. I saw "Into Darkness" and "Amazing Spider-Man" in both Digital IMAX and "standard" shows and, yes, in the normal shows they keep the same aspect ratio throughout.

Fun story, I saw ASM in Digital 3D Imax, 2D digital regular and, finally, an honest-to-god projection reel at a 2nd run theatre (it was 4 bucks and nobody was there, it was basically a private screening. Kinda cool.) Bummer is, the 2nd run theatre closed down last year because they couldn't afford the upgrade to digital. Kinda dug it for the throwback factor.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  22. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    i think EP2 was a better cut than the one in normal cinema also for EP7 imax is a must and im sure it will happen .

23. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
  24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope it's filmed at 48 FPS. First person shooters.

25. ManaByte

Aug 20, 1998
    You can't do 48 or 60fps with film. Has to be digital.

They should film it digitally at 60fps. That's what Cameron is doing with the Avatar sequels.

DARTH_BELO likes this.