main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Official StarWars.com Blog Thread - That's right, I went there

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 24, 2013.

1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Well if they'd just break down and hire me already we could talk.

Iron_lord likes this.
  2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    The TIE Defender is one of the ugliest starfighters ever designed.

And it's just ridiculous. It's got three huge panels! It's the fastest and most maneuverable! And it has a hyperdrive! And powerful shields! And four laser cannons! And two ion cannons! And two missile launchers! And a tractor beam!

It's the Starkiller of starfighters.

3. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Even understanding the limitation of movies only, I am kind of surprised - I thought Tri-fighters and Vader's Tie Advanced would be up there for sure.

4. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    [​IMG]

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  5. HedecGa

HedecGa Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2006
  6. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I'm actually writing a fic that takes place on the Wheel, and the Wook isn't exactly exhaustive on the subject, so, cheers for the article. I'll be looking forward to the next part.

I like that the Jubelee Wheel and the actual Wheel were rival stations, it works nicely to play off their similarities as a competitor trying to emulate but not copy a successful predecessor. Also, Cody Sunn-Childe shoutouts! Lando is a happy man.

Halagad_Ventor likes this.
  7. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Wonder if Cody used some of his Wheel profits to buy the Kingdom of Dreams spaceship...

Also Marvelous Wheel. I see what you did there. [face_mischief]

8. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Iaco Stark and Dominic Raynor as former business partners turned bitter rivals. I love it. And Stark dated Riva Denais, from Gamer #6!

9. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Nothing says an Abel Peña production like the phrase "congeneric appellative". :D

10. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    "Starkiller" would have been a good name for the Sun Crusher.

11. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is like.... so many of the most awesome concepts and characters from the comics ever -- in one blog entry!!!!

And this absolutely has to be my favorite quote in the EU ever: "The enmity between the two businessmen went back to some unspecified incident in the Corporate Sector involving a Sith amulet, Zanibar cannibals and Stark’s one-time girlfriend, holo-starlet Riva Denais (still reportedly missing)."

And dandelion warriors. DANDELION WARRIORS. AND CHEELIT. I thought I would never see those species in action again.

And Cody Sunn Childe!!!! Long time no see!!!!

Plus -- new characters! That's what I love about these articles -- interesting, new characters with elaborate backstories!

No emoticon appropriately illustrates my emotions at the moment. Maybe this one will do:

[​IMG]

Thank you, Abel/ Halagad_Ventor and Rich Handley, for totally making my day. No, make that week. This is one of the best articles yet! (er -- I liked the others too! Don't get me wrong! This one just happened to be a major nostalgia fest!)

12. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Now you see, THIS is what I call a blog article!

13. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
  14. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Absolutely perfect. Just... wonderful.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I've read it over about two or three times since it was linked this afternoon, and I'm still finding new little things. And what's remarkable is that I'm probably missing the vast majority of what's in it because of my inexperience with Marvel -- although I'm well acquainted with many of the names through osmosis in Lit!

I've really gotta ask though -- what is it about the Wheel that so fascinates? I'm not asking in a judgey way, just rather curious as it seems something rather widely appreciated.

Hey -- what's with the N-1 hatred? It's a pretty ship! Squints are kinda dopey looking, really: they're probably my least favorite TIE, beating only the vastly overrated TIE Defender. I don't think they're overpowered -- it makes sense that top Imperial tech would be this good compared to the aging garbage used by the Rebellion -- but they're just way too associated with Zaarin in my book. The TIE Avenger will always be my favorite TIE.

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I know you all have moved onto another entry on a Wheel that I know nothing about but I'm bringing up this one again anyway as I'm just catching up.

I like Top Ten lists, especially Letterman ones but this will do, and I mostly agree with it except for the top 3.

I like Jedi starfighters the best. I'm not big on TIEs, I don't know how the hell the pilot even sees around those huge wings, and something about Luke's X-wing always made me feel claustrophobic.

[/unpopular opinion]

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Scanners, a_g, scanners. I suppose you haven't played TIE Fighter, but the scanners are located at the top left and right of the viewpoints -- and they basically tell you where things are relative to you (front or behind, and then up down left right too: they're not "flat" like RADAR is).

Also, the wings are irrelevant b/c you can't even see them. Here's a regular TIE cockpit shot from ANH:

[​IMG]

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  18. LightsaberAccident

LightsaberAccident Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 26, 2013
    A lot of Star Wars fighters seem to have pretty poor cockpit visibility compared to real life contemporaries. Without those scanner readouts, and lacking a helmet mounted display, those pilots would probably have awful situational awareness.

19. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

It has that space Monaco flair for me, also it just keeps showing up all over the place, most recently in FFG's Beyond the Rim. :D

20. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Impressive work.

Most impressive.

21. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Fantastic piece. Great references all over the place, on a great topic. If we could get this caliber of short piece about a random topic every week, we would truly be living the life.

22. HedecGa

HedecGa Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2006
  23. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I accept your apology.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    12 part retelling of the cut material from EGTW? Now we're talking! :D

And personally I loved seeing Teshik in the intro, but I was always curious about the original Celestials idea, especially as it involved Imperials discussing 'em.

25. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Very nice! Great to see the Celestials being expounded upon. :cool:

purplerain likes this.