main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode VII Release Date Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ManaByte, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    True, but superheros also have a lock on the movie industry, Terminator doesn't. There's no public desire for new Terminator movies and it seems just as effective and necessary as a Robocop reboot.

2. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    The new Terminator isn't a complete reboot, after all Arnold is in it. It's more like a timeline reboot where it's rumored to be set in the 40s/50s where Arnold plays a veteran who protects the Connor family from a Terminator and thus the machines then use his image for the T-800s.

3. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    December would really blow for a Star Wars movie.

It has to be late May IMO.

4. ManaByte

Aug 20, 1998
    Wednesday May 20th.

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

750 million dollar worldwide ain't nothin to sneeze at, son. They already have 3(!) Amazing Spider-Man sequels on the way. Man of Steel didn't even make that much and that's a way bigger lag time between reboots.

6. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    haven't all star wars movie been released on a wednesday?

7. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    i say they should shoot for a May 20th 2015 release date.

8. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Well I'm in for that ....sounds great .....

9. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012

More like shoot for May 27 2015 ....gives it another weeks distance from Avengers 2..............

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Use "Edit". Do not double post. Thank you for your compliance.

11. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    No. Summertime is the best for toys because then you get the initial craziness in April, a little lull, and then the holiday boost.

12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Toy prices no drop-y from April to Dec? Or is Wave 2 on the shelves to keep the prices up?

13. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    +1. I can't believe how many people in here think Star Wars has to adjust to other movies' schedules. If anything it's the other way around.

What's more likely? The producers of Star Wars say "we sure don't want to compete with The Terminator and Superman" or the producers of those movies are saying "we sure don't want to compete with Star Wars"? I know what I think is more likely.

14. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    Both those things happen, but price drops are not a big deal. You just want to maximize revenue. It's the same reason why blockbusters are released mid-week. You get the initial wave of craziness on a day that doesn't usually sell well, then another bump for the weekend.

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Star Wars would happily stomp all over the release dates of Terminator and any other franchises but I think a Batman/Superman team-up would even give the Mighty Avengers and Star Wars to get some breathing room. Really, in this whole "crowded Summer 2015 blockbuster", it boils down to Avengers, Star Wars and Superman/Batman (and the last one is really only because Batman is in it)

16. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    It's nothing to sneeze at, but believe it or not it was a disappointment, taking in $140 million less than Spider-Man 3.

Right now they're saying they have 3 sequels on the way but anything beyond ASM2 can be cancelled in a heartbeat if that movie doesn't do well. The pressure is always on and these things are rarely written in stone.

17. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    I agree 100%, and I think there's plenty of room for all of 'em to maintain their status quo. Avengers to start May, Star Wars takes its usual place at the end of May, and the DC movies have been coming out in June or July so they can stay with that. Everyone else will have to adjust their schedules around the big 3, not vice-versa.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm sayin ASM 2 will do great & lead to ASM 3 if only cuz they have the prime opening May slot in 2014 which has generally been crushing the last few years. And I believe there's been a-rumbling's of ASM 2 being flat-out cliffhanger-y. and there's a general trend of sequels to outperform their predecessors. I'm a fan of them anyway cuz it has Spider-Man in it, I dig the director, I think the casting for them have been great, and I am absolutely, totally, 100% in love with Emma Stone with my deepest love for anything ever. So, yeah, more of ASM would be good.

19. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    Ya I'm saying the 20th because they will want it before Memorial Day, not after.

20. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    Exactly, which is why ASM was considered a disappointment. The first 3 Spider-Man movies finished #1, #2, and #1 in their respective years. ASM was #7 and made the least money out of the 4 - which is especially disappointing consider how the foreign box office has risen significantly over the past decade. Domestically, ASM was an extreme disappointment and the foreign take did not rise anywhere near as much as expected.

Hey I hope it does well. I really do. And I hope it is a good movie, because it's been about 9 years since they've released what I consider a good Spider-Man movie.

21. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Beezer : Please use the EDIT function to add to your posts instead of making multiple back-to-back posts.

22. Momotaros

Momotaros Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2013
  23. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Would Warcraft really be much competition, though? I'm asking honestly - it seems like the popularity of the game has been waning for quite some time... I still expect that it will stick to May, but I'm not sure if they would be too worried about Warcraft. Maybe I'm way off base, there.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  24. ManaByte

Aug 20, 1998
    So much for that dumb December rumor. I think Devin Faraci will be on suicide watch soon.

Momotaros likes this.
  25. Momotaros

Momotaros Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2013
    Warcraft still has a huge following and movies that have a LOTR type vibe tend to do very well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.