main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Washington DC to bid on 2024 Olympics.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Juliet316, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I am going to push for a boycott due to the United States' violations of gay rights.

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, it's too bad DC doesn't allow Same - sex marriage.. oh wait.

4. ac4155

ac4155 Jedi Knight

May 11, 2013
    Certainly interesting to see how it develops.

It would be interesting to also see an African Olympics at some point. But still seems some way of as there aren't many suitable candidates that could provide the safety, finance, standard or scale of the Olympics. Only really South Africa I feel would be in the best position.

5. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    They probably have a good chance considering the Olympics desire to validate regimes with histories of flagrant human rights abuses, while also allowing cities with sizable low income populations to be even further marginalized by corporate interests. Shoe-in?

6. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    About time it went to the USA. When was the last... oh, wait.

7. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Uh...it is loltastic. It is going to be a DMV Olympics, not a DC Olympics. Not enough room in the District to do this.

DarthTunick likes this.
  8. Thrawn1786

Thrawn1786 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 8, 2004
    This is about good as people suggesting New Orleans should be a host city some day. There's not enough room/venues in either city, even if some events were outsourced.

9. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Ew. Who wants to go to DC for the Olympics? I hope none of my tax dollars are being wasted on that bid.

10. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    just thinking about the traffic makes me want to give it a major thumbs down

11. sons_of_anakin_tatooine

sons_of_anakin_tatooine Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2005
    wont happen. i remember they tried the same for chicago but it ended up going to brazil if i remember correctly. besides even if dc did get them you'd have to be related to a politician to even get a job most likely for such a thing.

12. KissMeImARebel

Nov 25, 2003
    Gods can you imagine what a security nightmare it would be? Plus, DC cops seemed like...not so nice people...when I visited 15 ish years ago. V. Grumpy.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    don't be mean :(

14. KissMeImARebel

Nov 25, 2003
    haha, sorry, it's nothing against DC, I just don't see it as a really fun Olympic city. It's mainly known for it's monuments, The Smithsonian, and the government buildings. They're all lovely places but they aren't the sort of places I'd choose as my fillers at something a bit more...lively and international like the Olympics.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    blergh, that's exactly what I mean, Rebel :p That's what people think about this city because it's just a tourist destination to them. It's actually got plenty of international color -- lots of interesting venues and the embassies have a lively social scene too. It's just -- as Eden said earlier -- too small and congested to host something so massive. But y'know the place is more than just the handful of blocks you visited a decade and a half ago :p

I mean, I don't blame you since I thought the same thing about the place before I came over here but still.

16. KissMeImARebel

Nov 25, 2003
    I shall attempt to take your word for it. ;)