main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Discuss/Regrade the Episode: S04E01: Water War

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Orrelios, Sep 27, 2013.

?

How would you rate this one?

1. 10/10

8.3%
  2. 9/10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 8/10

8.3%
  4. 7/10

33.3%
  5. 6/10

25.0%
  6. 5/10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4/10

8.3%
  8. 3/10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2/10

16.7%
  10. 1/10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    Episode 4.01 - Water War
    Civil War on Mon Cala

[​IMG]

"When destiny calls, the chosen have no choice."

When the king of Mon Cala is assassinated, talks break down between the Mon Calamari people and the Quarren, co-inhabitants of the aquatic world. To stop a civil war, the Republic sends Padmé Amidala and Anakin Skywalker, but unbeknownst to them, the Quarren are already being backed by the Separatists. Now the Jedi must protect Mon Cala's new leader, the young Prince Lee-Char, from the attack.

http://starwars.com/explore/the-clone-wars/ep401/#!/about
    Now let's regrade and discuss this episode!

2. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Dreadful on so many levels.

3. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    One of my least favourite arcs. :(

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I kinda liked it.

7/10

5. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    It was fun. 7/10

-Why are Ahsoka, Anakin, and Padmé there?
    -Lee-Char
    -My helmet just floats away, floats away, floats away...

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I'll go ahead and unsticky the previous episode thread... but do you guys actually need these current episode threads stickied?

7. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Riff Tamson did nothing for me.

A shark's head stuck on a humanoid body. That's seriously the best they could come up with? Most unoriginal villian species, EVAR.

Parts of it were interesting, but overall I found it one of the more forgettable arcs. I gave it 6 out of 10.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I still call him Shark Boy. It took me months to learn his name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2.

9. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Nice, so we're doing Season 4 regrades as well now?

To me, Water War was the weakest season opener in TCW. Interesting as I consider Season 4 the best season overall, in terms of episode quality. While the episode provided great underwater visuals and combat scenes, it did seem like a rehash of the micro-series' (First) Battle of Mon Calamari and was in some ways weaker despite lasting three episodes compared to the micro-series' snapshot. There was already a civil war in Dac, so this arc covers a second. I believe this episode was the first time the planet Dac was referred to as "Mon Cala" as well, perhaps to make it more obvious that this is the homeworld of the Mon Calamari...however, they do share the planet with the Quarren, and calling it by that name must've engendered resentment among the Quarren people. No wonder they wanted to join the Separatist cause!

The episode starts off with both Padmè and Anakin acting as observers for the Republic as the Mon Calamari and the Quarren try to iron out their differences in a political assembly following the assassination of the Mon Calamari king, Prince Lee-Char's father. Not sure why Padmè had to be here when Mon Cala Senator Meena Tills (whose gender was changed) was already present. The meeting doesn't go well, with CIS Ambassador Riff Tamson (an unoriginal-in-design shark-man) claims Lee-Char is too young and inexperienced to rule. An attack by the Quarren and their Separatist allies, commanded by Tamson, seems inevitable, so the Jedi Council sends SCUBA clone reinforcements led by Kit Fisto (again, another callback to the micro-series battle), and with Ahsoka providing support. The battle begins rather promptly, and I found it a bit odd that Tamson would insist on attacking his ranged foes in melee, gutting them with his razor-sharp shark's teeth, in a primal display of fury rather than using conventional weapons. Furthermore, the wholly-inexperienced prince is thrust into a military leadership immediately, despite Captain Ackbar's initial doubts about his inexperience and the prince's own agreement. Speaking of Ackbar, you knew they'd reference "IT'S A TRAP!" with "IT'S AN ATTACK!" but the latter just doesn't ring as well... And Anakin loses his helmet, and doesn't think of using the Force to retrieve it, yet still managed to deflect blaster attacks. Oh, and Snips to the rescue to save his butt yet again, giving him back the helmet.

When the Mon Calamari, assisted by the GAR and the Jedi, fend off the attack, Tamson has the Separatist vessels above the ocean deposit his homeworld's Hydroid Medusaes into the seas as reinforcements, claiming their invincibility. The jellyfish-like cyborgs were interesting creatures, and killed their prey with powerful electric shocks. Forced to regroup and retreat, Lee-Char suggests they retreat to the caves. The other captured Mon Calamari would be taken to slave camps by Count Dooku's behest, and we start to see doubts in Quarren chieftain Nossor Ri's mind after Tamson tells him of this. Speaking of Nossor Ri, there was supposed to be a Tikkes cameo in this arc, but they decided against it. A shame, really, because we could have seen another Separatist Council leader in TCW.

All in all, this was a rather 'meh' episode, which, despite better visuals, was a bit of a rehash of the micro-series war and putting further emphasis on the Separatists' HURRR-DURRR evil and oppressive ways. I gave this a 6.5/10.

10. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    It was some sort of situation that initially appeared to be favorable, but in which the enemy was actually lying in wait to pounce upon us!

11. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    I still think people are being too harsh on Riff Tamson and his species. Just a shark's head on a humanoid body? They even designed the body to accomodate the head with webbed hands and feet so I think it fits without being lazy (and I cannot see how the species is any more unoriginal than some of the other Star Wars species out there).

I'm also quite surprised it took them this long to introduce a shark alien in SW and especially as an opposite of the Mon Calamari (to be honest, Karkarodons feel like more of an anti-Mon Cal species than the Quarren).

12. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    I recall many people wanted the lightsabers to boil the water. I don't think that would have looked right - like the Jedi were twirling flags made of bubbles. And would probably obscure their faces with said-bubbles.
    Where is Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan when you need him?
    Seriously! I'd prefer the Negotiator.
    Padme wasn't necessary at all, not in the entire trilogy (not even in that contrived situation in Prisoners that lacked any tension... OTOH Jar Jar spit in Padme's face, ha!). Yeah, replace Anakin and Padme with unknowns.

13. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

Somebody called for a Tikkes fan?! Here I am...

OH YES! It would have been the first Separatist Leaders since Poggle's last appearance in Season Two. Long overdue...

We could have had a Quarren vs Quarren fight. The show could have introduced Tundra Dowmeia and have him be an assistant to Tikkes who rebels against the Separatist Leader cause Tikkes wants to sell out his own people for profit.
    Then they could have fought each other with Tundra defeating Tikkes and ousting him. Tikkes flees... Tundra is hailed as a hero by the Quarren people.
    The actions of Tundra against Tikkes and in the overall outcome of the battle catch the attention of Meena Tills. She asks him to join her in represeting the Quarren people in the Senate. That is why we have Tundra Dowmeia and Meena Tills in ROTS.

TIKKES SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THIS!!! TIKKES FOR THE WIN!

14. SeparatistFan

SeparatistFan Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2012
    Somebody called for a Tikkes fan?! Here I am...

OH YES! It would have been the first Separatist Leaders since Poggle's last appearance in Season Two. Long overdue...

We could have had a Quarren vs Quarren fight. The show could have introduced Tundra Dowmeia and have him be an assistant to Tikkes who rebels against the Separatist Leader cause Tikkes wants to sell out his own people for profit.
    Then they could have fought each other with Tundra defeating Tikkes and ousting him. Tikkes flees... Tundra is hailed as a hero by the Quarren people.
    The actions of Tundra against Tikkes and in the overall outcome of the battle catch the attention of Meena Tills. She asks him to join her in represeting the Quarren people in the Senate. That is why we have Tundra Dowmeia and Meena Tills in ROTS.

TIKKES SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THIS!!! TIKKES FOR THE WIN![/quote]
    The water war arc is another good example of fan service coming before the story, I would have preferred Tikkes and Tundra to have appeared over Ackbar because they are more important to the story of the prequel films. I like your idea about Tundra, he should have appeared instead of Nossor Ri or Nossor Ri could have been killed and Tundra would have had to have replaced him. As long as Tikkes would have been portrayed as a villain I would have been happy with him in this arc, Tamson could have still worked in the arc this way as well because he could have been one of Tikkes's minions. The villain scenes would have been a lot better with chatter between TIkkes and Tamson and arguing between Tikkes and Tundra with Tundra eventually finding him out. I also like your idea of Tikkes fleeing, that is what should have happened with Wat Tambor and Poggle the Lesser, instead of them getting captured.

15. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Well, shoot... I didn't realize there was dual-representation in the Republic Senate (like Padme and Jar Jar!), nor was I aware of the Loyalist Tundra versus the traitorous Tikkes. *aha moment* Where's that missed opportunities thread?

16. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I gave it a 7/10

Inb4whyyoudidn'trate10

17. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    The water war arc is another good example of fan service coming before the story, I would have preferred Tikkes and Tundra to have appeared over Ackbar because they are more important to the story of the prequel films. I like your idea about Tundra, he should have appeared instead of Nossor Ri or Nossor Ri could have been killed and Tundra would have had to have replaced him. As long as Tikkes would have been portrayed as a villain I would have been happy with him in this arc, Tamson could have still worked in the arc this way as well because he could have been one of Tikkes's minions. The villain scenes would have been a lot better with chatter between TIkkes and Tamson and arguing between Tikkes and Tundra with Tundra eventually finding him out. I also like your idea of Tikkes fleeing, that is what should have happened with Wat Tambor and Poggle the Lesser, instead of them getting captured.[/quote]

Thanks. Glad you like my idea.

True. The fandom for Ackbar and the OT is bigger and more demanding than that of the PT or Tikkes/Tundra.

Killing off Ri would have been nice like the way they killed off Dono in the Onderon arc.

Tamson could have worked indeed. Just I could see switching from the overuse of Dooku in the show and the arc with Tikkes. Tamson as a minion for Tikkes - yes. Works if you ask me.

Having Tundra in the arc would have made more sense than Nossor Ri given that Dowmeia is in ROTS and Ri is not. Would have also been nice to see why Tundra gets chosen by Meena Tills to be with her in representing Dac after Tikkes's betrayal was revealed. Fleeing is the natural order of things and not cause one is a coward or not, but cause avoiding capture is a normal instinct.

Still pissed that so many other arcs that had many secondary characters, but the Mon Calamari arc was the one that the showrunners did not want to have situations like in the Ryloth arc or Geonosis. Strange and stupid! Remember TA -175 and Wat Tambor?!

I think it is something related to the US senate and congress systems, but yes. Tundra did come to represent in the Senate with Meena after Tikkes escaped jail by joining the CIS.
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tundra_Dowmeia

18. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    This episode was dreadful, save for the funniest edit in the whole series.

"I have it on good authority that the Separatists will not attack."

*literally the next scene*

"The separatists are attacking!"

19. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Great action, but that's pretty much it. Rating varies depending on if that's what I'm in the mood for.

There's one line from Ackbar in the beginning I hate because it's so corny, it grates the nerves every time. In my personal canon, Admiral Ackbar NEVER said that during the Clone Wars.

20. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012

I really laughed hard at that moment. Did they not see that it was silly...

anakinfansince1983 likes this.