main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Amazing Lucasfilm CG editing video

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by STaylor, Sep 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. STaylor

STaylor Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jul 9, 1998
    Didn't see this on Harry's Aint It Cool site but he did tweet it earlier during the day. Apologies if posting it in the 7 discussion is the wrong place but I can totally see them using this process for 7 to help churn these movies out quicker than the old standard of every 3 years.

Am I crazy for being completely blown away by this? I mean this could nearly eliminate post production.

http://www.thatvideosite.com/v/1111...al-time-removing-the-need-for-post-production

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  2. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    That looks cool . . . for video games.

Does anyone remember John Locke from Lost?

3. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Criminy, that look spectacular!

4. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    That is the future... and that's the sort of thing that the new Star Wars films should be pushing... although I'm sure a lot will disagree. ;)

Immortiss and FRAGWAGON like this.
  5. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    This has nothing to do with Episode VII. It was a test video for the tech they were using in Star Wars 1313.

STaylor likes this.
  6. STaylor

STaylor Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jul 9, 1998
    Ahh, ok. Still, this is the future of digital filmmaking.

FRAGWAGON and LunarMoth like this.
  7. Apophis_

Apophis_ Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012

It has A LOT to do with Episode VII. 1313 was just a "side" project, they wanted to change the way movies are made: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer...mes-and-movies-to-axe-post-production-process

8. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Whoa. I can see the live action tv series being done now.

Immortiss and Revenge of the Dak like this.
  9. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    If I recall correctly, this sort of technology and filming technique was going to be one of the primary reasons for constructing Lucasfilm's new production facility at Skywalker Ranch's Grady property. Lucas' plan was to create a new facility at the Grady Ranch property that would specialize in that sort of filming. Apart from pushing filmaking boundaries, I believe Lucasfilm's intent was to use the studio to be able to cut costs on production--particularly for the Star Wars Live Action Show.

While the facility was designed with all sorts of state of the art sustainable and environmentally friendly features, there was much local opposition. After a lengthy delay ( due to local opposition, additional planning, the economy, etc), Lucas decided to scrap the idea for a new production facility, and instead focused on preserving the land as an open space/natural area.

Immortiss likes this.
  10. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    I don't mind, as long as characters look REAL

11. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Wow. That really looks fantastic. But I have a feeling JJ won't go that route.
    As has been stated, I don't care how they go as long as everything looks real.

12. markdeez33

markdeez33 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2013
  13. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I think its encouraging that Lucasfilm is still looking forward and pushing new innovative technologies, which makes Abrams' insistence on shooting in 35 mm that much more baffling. This makes me think that Abrams is just a guy they brought on to try to bring back the qualities of the OT that much of the general audience felt were missing from the PT, and that once he establishes the tone of the ST, they will bring on more progressive directors to further their technological pursuits while keeping the movies within the realm that Abrams has established. In this way, I could see Episode VIII being the new Episode II in terms of making a similar technological leap as the switch to digital filmmaking.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  14. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Cool, but the stormtrooper and the aliens still looked CGI to me. Threepio was very convincing.

15. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    That looks scary

16. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    Pretty cool but still need work for Movie quality. However, it was interesting that they were using Bossk in a scene. Hmm!

17. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I did think Bossk wasn't very successful in terms of realism, but I had no problem with the stormtroopers in comparison with the prequels, and Threepio looked incredible... especially considering Anthony Daniels wasn't even providing the movements. I could easily see this technology becoming practical for a lot of things within a few short years.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  18. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    Such an impressive video. Thanks for posting%

19. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    looks alright for video games , but for a movie ... whats the advantage or improvement ?

20. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Disney, LFL we both know Marvel's SHIELD was a hit. So use this tech to give me a Star Wars live action TV show one ABC asap. [face_praying]

21. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    I second that.

22. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I can see them using this kind of tech in some kind of pre-viz or animatics.

23. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    That was fantastic. However, for the movies supercomputers are needed for photorealistic rendering.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  24. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    I agree.

And if there are any Stormtroopers in Episode VII - we need real people in suits. No CGI troops.

Heero_Yuy and Grand_Moff_Jawa like this.
  25. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I don't mind CG troops when they need to be created in large numbers, but I would prefer at least a few people in suits for the foreground.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.