main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New IMAX Rumor

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ManaByte, Sep 26, 2013.

1. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    No, it's fine! I always felt that places like this are the best places to find out this kind of information...

as far as size and shape of the aspect ratio-if I'm correct, it depends on how it is filmed. if it is filmed with an IMAX camera, standard picture size would fill all corners of the IMAX screen. but if it is post converted to IMAX, then basically they just stretch out the size to fit the IMAX screen-which is why it's not as good.

also, the decision as to what aspect ratio movie is filmed in that I believe is up to the people making the film. certain movies that one would see fill the whole screen on blu ray are filmed that way. examples would be
    The voyage of the Dawn treader, avatar and all of the IMAX camera scenes in the dark Knight trilogy. personally, I love this because it is a much more immersive experience when watching it on my 50" plasma TV!!

I suppose really the only way to figure out if a theater is a true IMAX theater is to either research the theater itself, or you could maybe just call and ask them I suppose... I don't imagine they would lie to you...

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  2. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Yes...

I have to say that as soon as I found out they were using 35mm film, all my hopes for 48 FPS were shot!

3. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Yep just call and ask them how big the screen is. If its around 76 feet then its the reak deal. Liemax is like 1/4 of that.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I just watched the blu-ray the other night, and it looks amazing. That was a restoration done right.

5. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I would love for it to be in real IMAX, I'm sure no matter what theaters will show it on their fake IMAX screens (I love lieMAX, I've never heard it called that before). But to do it with the real thing is always so amazing, I could get on board with that!

6. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    did anyone ever see AOTC Imax version ?

can't imagine it would look any better , it was shot in 1080 video wasn't it ? which is about half as good as 35mm film isn't it ?

7. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I saw Jurassic Park 3D in IMAX, it was a wonderful thing.

I would be very happy to Star Wars in any IMAX format (being smaller doesn't mean it still isn't vastly superior to normal cinema screens, and IMAX is a brand so anything they label is IMAX regardless of size) because it is the very best and Star Wars has a tradition of being at the forefront of cinema technology.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  8. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    I recall that the size and scope were phenomenal, but there were many scenes that weren't as "clear" as the regular theatrical presentation. Unknown if it was due to the theater or print being presented.

9. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    http://latino-review.com/2013/10/exclusive-sullivan-stapleton-goes-in-for-star-wars-episode-vii/
    "this IMAX thing is out of context"
    I wonder what this means. I'm hoping we don't really have switching aspect ratios or partially filmed IMAX but that Episode VII will be shot in 65mm. If they aren't keen on 3D this would awesome way to do something different than just standard 35mm. Certainly if The Master can shoot in 65mm with the resources available to SW they could as well.

10. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    It means what I explained in the first post. It's wishful thinking on the part of IMAX's CEO.

11. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I saw AOTC in IMAX, but I wasn't too impressed. The screen was freaking huge, though. Too big, in fact — if that makes any sense. One thing I noticed was that the movie felt shorter, which surprised me then. It was a "been there, done that" kind of thing for me, and so I have no plans of seeing another movie in IMAX.

12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Technical demo recommendation for people who wanna know what the format looks like: Go see "Metallica: Through the Never". Looks downright nifty and they also play "One" and Dane DeHaan freakin' sets himself on fire at some point!

13. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013

That's probably because AOTC The IMAX Experience was in fact, shorter, than the original theatrical release of AOTC. Because of certain IMAX limitations, the film had to be edited down and shorten to be like 2 hours.

14. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Yeah you are right. The platter that the film sits on can't hold a movie much longer than two hours. If I remember correctly Batman was the same way a few years ago.

I also saw AOTC in OMNIMAX(domed IMAX) and while the opening scene was awesome in IMAX I wasn't really that impressed.

15. TheStorm

TheStorm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 8, 2002
    Now IMAX can go up to 2 hours and 50 minutes. Then no, but now it can do a lot more. TDKR was 2 hours and 45 minutes long.

16. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    I haven't had a IMAX at any of the theaters I've worked at. So I am not too familiar with it all. I kind of prefer my XD auditorium over IMAX. I have 19.1 surround sound and a 76 foot screen. Plus the IMAX theater kind of feels cramped. Like you are sitting on top of other people.

17. Peter_Solo

Peter_Solo Jedi Youngling

Sep 27, 2013
    "this IMAX thing is totally out of context....says latino review

case closed

18. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    IMAX is pretty cool, however, it is a much bigger format (70mm, I believe). I think this is more rumor than fact. If J. J. is going to preserve the "Star Wars look" he is going to have to stay with the 1:85:1 aspect ratio.

19. Cad Carnage

Cad Carnage Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2013
    I just hope that it's shot in 3D and not converted to 3D.

20. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    It's being shot on 35mm film. It's a conversion.

21. Cad Carnage

Cad Carnage Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2013
    In that case I'll probably just skip the 3D viewing.