main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who's The Baddie?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by fishtailsam, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Well I think if it turns out that Lucas' only formal input is a 10 page treatment, then the ST has a good chance of nose diving. I think if nothing else, there's a consensus that Lucas is the best man for creating original Star Wars stories, characters and situations. You can't really do that in 10 pages... unless his writing is really, really small.

my kind of scum and Immortiss like this.
  2. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    It definitely should be up to GL to decide who the villain of the ST is.

Immortiss likes this.
  3. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    There's a consensus? Why then do I disagree? Lucas is pretty good with the big ideas imo, but the execution is very lacking.

I'm actually happy the treatment isn't detailed because this means a lot of creative freedom for Arndt and Abrams.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR and Dra--- like this.
  4. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013

10 pages isn't enough? How many pages do you need to come up an plot out line and some characters?

5. markn74

markn74 Jedi Padawan

Sep 5, 2013
    Maybe the new villain could be related to the Skywalkers?

We don't know much about Schmi Skywalker. Who were her parents and where did they come from? They could create a lineage back to a great Sith lord, maybe Bane or someone new that played a major role in the early Sith wars against the Jedi. This would strengthen the Skywalker dynasty and set up future falls to the dark side by the Solo kids or Luke's kids if any. This could set tone for the new Villain as someone with the hatred, evil and lust for power that we never rely saw from Anikin.

6. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    A great, be it short, outline handed off to a great writer can surely be........great. All accounts seems to say GL's treatments were fairly detailed, though.

7. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    It would suck if GL says "no saber duels" and Disney says "that's not marketable".

8. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    A consensus doesn't actually hinge on wether you alone agree or not you know. Also, I don't believe Abrams is that good - his films have very little substance... so I hope he has the least amount of influence on story, script, tone or dialogue. Anything other than that will move Star Wars further into the vacuous space that Star Trek currently inhabits.

9. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Unless you have the statistics to prove, your consensus-statement is a bunch of hot air.

JJ's films have enough substance imo, especially compared with all the junk marvel studios produces (not that it isn't funny junk...). Unfortunately they are so fast paced that this substance is really easy to miss.

Dra--- likes this.
  10. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Seems to me that you're always assuming you talk for the rest of the world... so why get your kilt in a twist by others treating you in kind? If your definition of 'quality' is JJ ; and you feel his films are "substantial" then all I can say is you have extremely low standards and perhaps you should watch more films and evolve a bigger frame of reference. ;)

11. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Sleeve?

As for the irrelevant name drop of Plagueis. I was just thinking right before I read that, Darth_Pevra, how relevant it probably is. In the six films, we certainly don't hear a lot of name-dropping of supposedly dead Sith Lords. It's a rare event, and in fact, any time we do hear a name in the movies, we see them too.

People usually argue that the name drop was necessary for Palpatine's story to Anakin. But that's not true. Sidious could have told the exact same story in a more general way. "The Sith Order was rumored to have learned how to keep people from dying, by means the Jedi consider unnatural."

We add specific details to stories for two reasons only: 1) Details make people believe stories more probable. 2) To introduce new information that is relevant to the story.

The use of Plagueis may have only been for 1), but now with the ST it could be used -- and perhaps even was intended to be used -- for 2).

12. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    So we're done making personal attacks and insults, right? Don't make me come in there for real...

13. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I think it has enough substance for a summer popcorn movie. Into Darkness got character arcs for both Spock and Kirk and even included some morality questions.

Of course it's not the godfather and neither should it be.

Dra--- likes this.
  14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I think the treatments handed to Disney could very well be a revised version of the 80s ST he had in mind. Not very hard to change a few things around like instead of having Luke looking for his sister he could possibly have the main character looking for a cousin or something. Shoot it could be Luke's son looking for his sister or Han's daughter looking for her brother or any number of combinations. You get the idea though. And instead of these two characters confronting the Emperor at the end it could now be them confronting Plagueis (even though I'm not yet convinced that he's the villain.)

15. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Darth_Pevra Where did you hear this? I'd heard completely different reports about the treatment for the ST.

16. 3PO

3PO Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2003

Uh no. He bombed the PT and his minimal involvement in the ST is for the best of everyone. Far from "consensus".

Dra--- likes this.
  17. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Majority opinion holds that he did not.

my kind of scum likes this.
  18. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Apologies - I was of the opinion that you didn't like the prequels, that they didn't have much substance and the character arcs didn't work... that was an assumption I made based off reading your posts.

19. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012

Is that from your experience or is it coming from a statistic? My experience is that the majority opinion holds that he did. Maybe we hang around different crowds.

20. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Statistics. There's the Gallup poll:
    http://www.gallup.com/poll/3757/public-gives-latest-star-wars-installment-positive-rave-reviews.aspx
    or IMDB ratings (the prequel movies have median scores of 7, 7, and 8, respectively): Rottentomatoes, or other websites. I've never seen a serious poll according to which a majority of people claims to dislike any of the movies.

21. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I've mentioned something like this before, but more to the point that her family would come forth after hearing about the great Jedi that saved the galaxy from the evil Empire. But we find out that they aren't just some peasant family from the outer rim, instead we learn that they're this Force using cult that have their own agendas.

I like the idea of Shmi's family lineage being traced back to Jedi events that might have happened in the past, but I think Lucas intended for her background to be a dead end when he made her a slave. Now, if Plagueis is alive, and he came forward and explained her past of where she came from and who her family is, which would also explain that he had kidnapped her for his experiments, then I would like to see the Skywalker bloodline explored some more.

22. 3PO

3PO Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2003

Because you know people who take the time to take a Star Wars survey online or actually take a phone survey on it (who does that? Really?) are not going to be biased or anything.

If they hated it, they aren't going to waste their time on it. I love cherry picking facts to support your argument!

Dra--- and Darth_Pevra like this.
  23. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Yeah, terrible execution. :p

[​IMG]

24. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I searched for the source but couldn't find anything. Sorry. It's possible I misremembered something.

Well actually the ANH script has been rewritten multiple times and there were also multiple cuts of the movie. But I was talking about "Lucas the writer" and not Lucas the director.

The prequels neither work as fun action flicks nor do they have much substance.

Dra--- likes this.
  25. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Your opinion is, IMO, a bit suspect given that you believe JJ's new Star Trek films have 'substance'... So please excuse me if I don't take your comments too seriously. You are of course welcome to your comments, but never fool yourself into believing you speak from some lofty purchase. Clearly you don't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.