main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sons_of_anakin_tatooine

sons_of_anakin_tatooine Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2005
    i never read the plauges book but from what i researched he was alive during tpm? what are the chances hes still alive?

2. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Because there was an inference that the PT was somehow more focused on 'cute' things and being kid friendly. I disagreed and cited ROTS as an example. And I'm nit sure who is actually suggesting 'dark' equates to quality?

VMeran, FRAGWAGON and ezekiel22x like this.
  3. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    You're research is correct. In the book, Palpatine doesn't kill Plagueis until he becomes Chancellor.

4. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    I'm not in any way engaged in trashing the movies I don't like, I'm just voicing my opinion on the matter, specifically sharing my arguments with respect. Trashing would be saying "X is bad", what I'm really saying is "I'm dissatisfied with X because I believe that Y". If that is "odd thinking" or as you respectfully put it "fecking weird" then I guess I'm not the one who is at fault here. Since we are in a DISCUSSION board, I thought it would be cool. For you apparently it isn't.

I suggest we move this thing forward and stop derailing this thread.

Darth_Pevra Of course Darkness doesn't equal quality in any way. But a good film should be careful with tone. If handled right, it can have enormous range and be dynamic. From what I can gather, Abrams is well aware of this and handles his films with a lot of caution and integrity, having in mind the big picture, as an integral piece with a very clear tone. This reliefs me a bit because Hollywood today is filled with films with aimless tone that leave you completely perplexed and dissatisfied.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  5. sons_of_anakin_tatooine

Sep 28, 2005
    i guess his ashes are in a sith spirit urn according to this.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Plagueis

6. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Took me years to even notice the skeletons...[face_laugh]

7. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    [​IMG]

VMeran and JediGirl_Angelina like this.
  8. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Nobody openly said it but it was probably what the discussion was really about.

In any case I agree that ROTS isn't a kid-friendly movie.

9. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    It seemed to me that you were just dismissing them out of hand rather than opening up any type of conversation... but as you say 'let's move on'...

10. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Well, that video speaks for me. But I gotta say, the Prequels was supposed to be when the Galaxy wasn't in a deteriorated state.

11. 3PO

3PO Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2003

And who says it is deteriorated now? All we saw in the OT's were rebel planets with little technology or high end cities.....

12. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Actually I sort of agree with setting the movie in the wild regions of the galaxy. The more conflict you have in a setting, the more opportunities for story telling. Of course you can also have interesting stories in high-tech settings, but in SW this usually means "more civilized", and that makes it a bit harder.

13. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Don't know if anyone saw this but it's about JJ on lens flares. Iyt made me feel good that he knows he has a "problem." :p

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=109469

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  14. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    This forum probably labels me as an Abrams basher given that I think his films lean towards the disposable entertainment side of things, but I will say that the lens flares have never bothered me. I honestly didn't notice them until the 'net meme became impossible to ignore.

VMeran, Badger_Legion and FRAGWAGON like this.
  15. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I've always said he's Michael Bay with a heart.

ezekiel22x likes this.
  16. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    He's considerably better than Bay I think... ;)

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  17. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I just read this on IMDB:

I hadn't heard this before. I knew Vaughn was interviewed and his friend (forget his name) did his little whistling bit and we thought Vaughn was signed. But I didn't know that he was actually in negotiations. Also, we know that Vaughn suggested Chloe Moretz. BUT someone who posted this suggests that her choice as the lead was something Disney did NOT want/endorse, also something I didn't know. So I would say that this reads like it eliminates Chloe Moretz from the ST.

18. Momotaros

Momotaros Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2013
    Why people treat IDMB as a reliable source is beyond me. Also we know based on hollywood trade sites. That Ben Affleck was thier second choice not Vaughn. That Abrams was always thier first choice. IDMB can be editing by basicly anyone. Much like Wiki. Nether site is good for real info on movies.

P.S. Found another JJ Abrams interview... http://www.comicbooktherapy.com/j-j...es-and-disneys-approach-to-episode-vii-160436

Darth_Pevra and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  19. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
  20. sons_of_anakin_tatooine

Sep 28, 2005
    anybody is better than bay

21. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Well, I've only directed a few home movies, but thanks for the compliment. ;)

22. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I've never been personally worried about JJ making Star Wars more like Trek because, if anything, he's tried to make Trek more like a Star Wars movie directed by Steven Spielberg. My concerns lie more in his overall style as a director and story teller. I'm sure Star Wars Ep VII will 'look' like Star Wars i.e. the cosmetics, but I've personally found his films to be lacking substance... so I'm not convinced they will 'feel' like Star Wars. However, if the story is genuinely good (and I'm relying on Lucas here) and if the script is good, then JJ stands more of a chance of transposing that to the screen successfully (assuming he doesn't try to assert too much influence)..

23. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    Too true, some Vaughn fanboy heard about JJ getting the job and thought: Hmm, he pitched Chloe for a role and KickAss I+II are violent flicks so this must be the reason he bailed...

24. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003

^:)^ That should finally silence the doubters.

25. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    "Disneyfication" was never a danger. I'm optimistic, but cautious because this could be the first Star Wars movie that's devoid of naivete.

I hope not, but the naive optimist-in-chief has retired, and gee-whiz adventure yarns seem to be unfashionable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.