main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Some of my dreams are fairly short and easily forgettable. Some are really intricate and feel absolutely "real" to the point that they've been the seeds of stories. And then I've had those same vivid dreams, though not quite as intricate, which seem to repeat themselves for a few nights and then don't appear any more. Some of those repeaters were pretty darn good, too, like one where I was Fox McCloud leading not just his flight of four, but entire fighter wings of Arwings into battle against the invading Andross a la Independence Day.

Of course, the entire Katina level in SF64 is a blatant ripoff of that film.

2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    It may have been a ripoff, but it was an awesome ripoff.

Fun fact: It syncs up pretty well with the Juno Reactor "Kontrol" instrumental.

3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    My sister has really bizzare, detailed dreams. I'm kinda glad I don't dream, because I never get a good sleep when I do.

So, I can't find my cat. She typically comes to bed with me, but she didn't and I can't find her anywhere downstairs. I looked briefly upstairs and I shook her bag of treats at the bottom of the stairs, but everyone's asleep and she's a black cat, so doing a thorough search isn't a possibility. I'm hoping she's curled up in my mom's room or something. She's not one for going outside (especially since it's cold), but we did have the door open earlier to bring in groceries. I went outside and looked around the house. It's rather odd for her.

4. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Here's hoping she's curled up somewhere safe inside.

I'm going to go curl up with my cat and dream.

5. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I dreamed that I was trapped for the last 14 hours in a bus full of teenagers. I need to wake up!

TrakNar and jcgoble3 like this.
  6. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I've been trapped in a bus full of 50 teenagers when half of them decided to chug red bull.

So, I still can't find my dumb cat. We're pretty sure she slipped outside somehow. My mom went out and briefly looked, but raining right now so we can't exactly search well, we think she might be under the deck or in the boat tent. Thankfully it isn't too cold yet and my brothers don't have school so we're going to go out and look once it stops raining.

7. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Cats almost never come when you call during a rain storm. They usually find a dry place and wait until the rain stops.

8. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    [:D] I hope you find her! I know how bad it is to lose a cat.

I had some really weird dreams last night. I wish I could record them so I can watch them again.

9. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    My cat has been found!!!!! I bribed my brother to help me look for her and we eventually found her under our deck. It took us awhile to get her out but she's sleeping in my lap now :)

10. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I used to dream, they were crazy dreams but very interesting, but I don't really dream anymore. The only thing I have, and it happens at least 3 or so times a week, is where I'm half awake and I think there are people in my room, nothing sinister at all and I think they are supposed to be there and I'm sharing with them. I sometimes get up (still half asleep) and put on actual clothes because I think I should, or I give my pillow to the other people (so then I'm not using a pillow) or lay to the very edge of my bed to give them room, etc.
    There are, of course, no people in my room but until I really wake up, I really think they are there. This has been going on for several years... I should go to a dream analyst and find out why this is happening. 8-}

11. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
  12. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I think I may have mentioned this before in this thread or another thread, but I once had a dream where I died. I dreamt I was shot. And right when I was shot I woke up screaming. I was out at some military training area when it happened. In the morning I was told I had a phone call at CQ office from some Corporal. They thought it was an official call so they pulled me out of formation to answer the phone. It was my best friend who was a US Marine Corporal stationed a thousand miles away from me. He said he had to hear my voice. He dreamed that I died and he had been frantically calling all over the military post trying to find me.

He was so freaked out he spent hours calling different places trying to find me. I just thought that was eerie. I always felt bad that when he actually died that I did not have any premonition about it.

13. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    There was one thing in one of my dreams that has bothered me for a while. One dream, I was trying to get to this door and some guy kicked a chair in my way and said that I was "getting too close." I said that it was my brain, thus my dream, and therefore I could do what I wished.

The guy said, "No! You don't understand! You don't own this world! They do!"

Never found out who "they" were. Guess I'm plugged into the Matrix.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  14. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I must say, that thought has crossed my mind, but it would have to be attached to me and not the place because it's happened in all the places I've lived in the last few years.

Jedi_Lover - That's kinda creepy!
    Back when I did dream, I had a few death dreams but I can't say that anyone ever had the same dream and called me.

15. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    mavjade: Shadow people, possibly? I see those quite often.

16. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I did some research about this because it runs in my family. It always happens when we just wake up and usually when the light is very dim, but there is still light. My mother would see people in her room...often Jesus or dead relatives. Me...I see giant spiders crawling across the ceiling. My son see's zombie horses...or at least he did. He doesn't see them anymore.

Anyway, I see those spiders when the room is light enough to see the outlines of the room, but not bright enough to focus on anything real well. And it always happens when I just wake up. So when I was taking biology in grad school I researched it and discovered this is not unusual. Part of the brain is awake, but you are still in a dream state. So you may be sitting up but your brain is sort of dreaming. It is called hypnopompic hallucinations and when I read about it I was shocked that seeing spiders running around the ceiling is very common.

17. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    TrakNar - I don't know, I don't ever think I'm ever actually seeing any of the 'people in my room', I just *know* they are there. I am pretty darn blind without my glasses on which does make things look really different, so its entirely possible it's something like that. But the fact that I have the same thing, or at least theme over and over makes me curious.

Edit: Oh... now looking, shadow people are a paranormal thing, I didn't know that. I thought you just meant am I seeing shadows. I've never really heard of shadow people, I'm going to have to look into that. :)

Jedi_Lover - That's really interesting! I'll have to look into that more! I'd tried researching it before but never come up with anything. I apparently was just looking the wrong way. I will sometimes be complete dressed (having changed out of what I was weaning and into something else) before I completely wake up and realize I'm being stupid... sometimes I don't even wake until later and then remember putting on different clothes.

18. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    My house is haunted. At least I never have to wonder what the noises are, 'cause I know.

19. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    mavjade It seems that as a result of working in your chosen profession, you've learned to perform the morning rituals by rote. In other words, you wake up and get ready for the day on autopilot.

Stress can mess people up something fierce.

mavjade likes this.
  20. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Briannakin: hooray! That's fantastic news. :)

Jedi_Lover: hypnopompic hallucinations, eh? Are these spiders restricted to the ceiling or can they be anywhere? I thought I saw a spider, the big ones that I'm scared of most, running towards my face while I was in bed the other day. I didn't see it run off anywhere and it wasn't hiding under my pillows, so it could have been that.

I'm reading a book that'll put a weird spin on dreams. It's called "When The World Was Flat (And We Were In Love)" and it's by Ingrid Jonach. I won't spoil it but it's certainly a good read. It also ties in really nicely with everything that's been said over the last page or two.

21. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    It could very well be that, my job is pretty stressful, but my reasons for changing clothes, at least in my dream like state, has nothing to do with getting ready for work and everything to do with the 'people in my room'. (I feel as though I'm not appropriately dressed, even though I may be fully clothed.) And I don't often do it on the days I work, I don't think I sleep well enough when I have to work the next day to get in that deep of a dream-like state.

I do however, wake in a panic thinking I've missed my alarm on the days I work, usually several times a night. I did it 3 times last night. My body just doesn't like getting up at 5am... I never thought I missed my alarm when I worked night shift.

My roommate is studying to be a psychotherapist, I keep telling her she needs to hurry up so she can figure out what my issue is and why I keep having this same thing over and over. :p

moosemousse - the little research I did last night on the hypnopompic hallucinations said it doesn't have to be spiders, it just seeing/hearing/feeling things that aren't there while you are falling asleep or waking up. It can feel very, very real. Spiders are just a common one that occur, I would assume because the fear of spiders is so common.

22. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    And plus they are EVIL! [face_worried] They are eight-legged demons! :p Just kidding...but they are scary to me.

23. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
  24. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I found a new toy and it's quite fun to play with, and I thought people here might be interested. Its a Gender Guesser. Basically, you copy and paste text into it (either informal or formal writing) and it guesses the gender of the writer (you look in the formal box if it's formal writing and likewise if it's informal). It's not really meant for prose (I tried a couple prose and I always got around 50-50, which makes sense if you have both female and male dialogue). I copied some of my informal comments/blog posts into it and I always got weak female or weak make (so around 50-50), so I guess my informal writing is very non-gendered. But the funny thing is, I copied some of my uni papers into it and I always got like over 90% male. I write like a boy, which isn't really a bad thing IMO. It means I have a lot of confidence in my writing, even if I'm making stuff up (which I do a lot of on exams).

25. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    The logic of this...toy...eludes me. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.