main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TV Discussion The Relationship of Anakin and Ahsoka

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Mzukiller, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Binksoka? In a weird way it seems fitting...

2. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    The nature of the relationship will be fully explored in the ST, when Luke runs into the half-togruta half-brother he never knew he had.

[face_sick]

3. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    LOL, back in the 90s thirty year old adults were playing 16 year old kids however.

I don't think Ahsoka took over Padme's role as the most important person in Anakin's life. Anakin seems to form strong attachments so it makes sense there would be more than one person who could drive him crazy with that dangerous possessive protectiveness. Padme was his wife and an important senator who couldn't exactly go rocketing off on adventures all the time. Ahsoka was slotted into the role of Padawan which basically made her the protagonist's sidekick so she could go everywhere with him.

I think its pretty interesting how Anakin was able to hold himself back for most of the Fugitive Arc.He wasn't that in control when he thought Obi-wan died. It wasn't until he was racing the clock he was tapping some darkside to capture Barriss. Are we sure he was even aware of it caught up in the moment? I think if somehow Padme replaced Ahsoka in the Fugitive arc and was the one getting framed and about to be put to death there is a good chance Anakin would flown off the handle quickly.

4. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

Well, little has changed today. James Arnold Taylor for one plays Johnny Test... so kablam!

I know she was forced on us in terms of a role. But did we need that?! I know it has been 5 seasons, but wouldn't have made more sense if she was replaced by Anakin and he went through the motions of the show. I can totally see a few dozen arcs that would be better off without Ahsoka...
    Again... I am sorry, but it is something that such a thread makes me think about.

I think the holding back was in terms of writing. The S5 finale was just better written. IMO
    The other is the setting of the two arcs. He just couldn't do anything cause it was the Jedi and Republic that was against him. In the Fugitive arc, we had a random (Obi-Wan :D) bounty hunter that killed his best friend. He could do something about it.
    Even if Ahsoka was to be killed for treason in S5, Anakin could not do anything cause he would be going against all the other people he cared about. If he wanted and he could have went mental and saved Ahsoka from execution, he would have to fight people like Obi-Wan and Yoda, and Palpatine and Padme in way. By going against the orders of the Republic, he would be going against Padme and Sidious. He cares deeply for Ahsoka, but....
    ... what is done ... IS DONE!

5. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    Just as a reminder, I'd like to say that I did not think Anakin would reciprocate her feelings, nor that I would even like it if he did.

I just believe that Ahsoka had a certain reverence for her master that would eventually blossom into a lust or better yet, love. I guess that makes me a sick person though, no matter. Completely one sided. I just think that a hero like Skywalker would have a fangirl, a cheerleader if you will, someone that, for lack of a better word, looks up to him, and everything shy of pure worship. It just doesn't make sense that she would look at someone like him, and treat him like any other Jedi Knight. Surely the whispers of him being the Chosen One had been circulating around the temple.

Plus Anakin's hopelessly obsessed with Padme, how the hell would that work?

6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    As annoying as Ahsoka is, I'm glad she wasn't turned into Anakin's fangirl.

Yikes.

7. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Isn't this just all basically Komari Vosa's storyline?

8. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011

Its a little different when a 30 year old dude is playing a 16 year old teen on a live action kids show.

Anakin had plenty of episodes in the series. I thought the old argument was we had to much Anakin going on. I appreciate Ahsoka more looking back. She was never my favorite character and I did think, "What if she had been Plo Koon's Padawan" instead. Now far as I see it Ahsoka added alot of depth and insight to Anakin's character.

Well I guess a key difference between the Fugitive Arc and the Rako Hardeen arc is Anakin thought Obi-wan was already dead so he pretty much set out to beat the killer's ass into the ground but in the Fugitive Arc Anakin knew Ahsoka was alive so he had poise to figure out how to save her. I agree about the setting and the circumstance. But I think there is still contrast to be drawn from that. Then again we can only imagine the ass kicking Sinker and Boost got in Padawan Lost when they lost Ahsoka.

If Ahsoka had been killed its hard to say exactly what Anakin would have done. I don't feel ROTS Anakin would be the same character if Ahsoka had died (this ofcourse just goes along with a Padawan having existed thanks to TCW). Obi-wan has already hurt Anakin before in the Rako Hardeen arc faking his death so whose to say Anakin wouldn't have been willing to go against him to save Ahsoka. Padme might have supported him and Sidious would have figure out how to work it to his advantage I'm sure.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  9. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I couldn't have said it better (or used a more fitting emoticon).

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003

[​IMG]

11. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    So... using her as a soldier and sending her into the middle of the horror of war at that age is just fine, but the idea that anyone over 18 might want to kiss her makes us all apoplectic.

I'm just sayin'...

Paparazzo likes this.
  12. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I think it's the superpowers, impenetrable character shield, the character shields surrounding her and the droid cannon fodder that takes away any sense of outrage over that. I'm not making a value judgment of it, I just think that's the reason.

Take away the superpowers, the tension-killing shields and give her a flesh and blood enemy and that might change.

13. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    Loads of 14 year olds lied about their age and fought in WWII.

One British kid was only found out when they went to decorate him for his multiple aerial victories. He was already a squadron commander by this point. Then it came out he was 15. Oops.

14. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Welcome to the Western mindset. Oddly hypocritical, ain't it?

15. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Not really.

16. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    Using child soldiers isn't good. Forget Kony2012. Try Yoda2012.

Paparazzo and Darth Valkyrus like this.
  17. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    When 900 years old you reach, keeping track of the difference between 14 and 18 among those short-lived humans and near-humans, easy will not be.

Paparazzo likes this.
  18. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    Furthermore, whose years are we talking about anyway?

It is rather unlikely that Coruscant and, say, Shili, share the exact same orbital period about their star.

A person who is 14 on Coruscant might be 22 if they had grown up on some other planet, or 10 on a different one again.

19. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    Honestly...if the show had continued, I think it would have gone that road...but it would have been to much as Ahsoka pretty much was made to plague everything past Season 2. But had the show been done right, it would have interesting to see how Anakin dealt with puppy love... as it is however it would only have served to give fuel to the dilutional "Ahsoka is so much better than Padmè" crowd and to expand Ashoka's borderline marysue greatness than bring anything worthwhile to the table.

20. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Maybe the different planets have different ages of consent.

21. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    Re: Ahsoka in general, it's all about contracts. Love her or hate her, Ahsoka was written into the show as a lead character, and there's an actual human being voicing her. Ashley Eckstein was given the contract of a lead actor, so she got a lead role and demonstrated that she was super into it. So, they didn't relegate her, the human being Ashley Eckstein, a beloved member of their creative family, to a backseat role simply because some fans complained. I'm sure it's demystifying that a world of mythology can be boiled down to that, but that's how it goes. They made their plans, she was a part of them, and the show was picked up, so the plans stuck. Love it or hate it, hardcore fan reaction is just a grain of sand on Tatooine (and that's even giving the benefit of the doubt that the fanbase hated her, despite the fact that we've seen a perfect 50/50 split in the poll here). Pretty much sums it up.

Also, I'd like to point out that I have friends with actual human little girls who got into Star Wars because of Ahsoka. Not everybody has raging convention-going fan parents who can plop this stuff in front of them. TCW added a strong female role model that worked perfectly well for the purposes of appealing to little girls and making them feel empowered among male protagonists. Personally, maybe this is condescending, but I don't care if she's a marysue; I'd feel horrible if my own geeky opinions got in the way of that stuff. In fact, I tend to think that putting every single female role model under a microscope (particularly one from such a relatively simple show) is just one more form of unexamined misogyny, because the kids who like her are not putting her under that same microscope. If she has a positive effect on the development of a little girl who watches the show, then who cares if she stands up unrealistically to a Mandalorian?

But I say all that specifically to address the relationship question... I think that's a logical fan reaction thing, and it's not so weird for an actual young girl to ponder stuff like that. I mean, young girls hang pictures of grown men on their walls all the time. However, it would be weird for the writers to take it there, and it would totally undermine their initial intent to steer away from the traditionally male-driven cast if she just became a fangirl.

EDIT: Re: the Lux thing, it's about time the man in the relationship was just there as "Generic Target of Affections, Candidate 1138." It's certainly been written the other way for, yunno, pretty much the entire history of film and television.

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That already happened unfortunately. Not sure how much worse it would have been if Ahsoka had had a crush on Anakin.

23. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    To answer this thread's question I don't think Ahsoka ever had puppy love and-or romantic feelings for Anakin. As others have mentioned her relationship with him was more brother and sister like. And thank goodness she didn't have romantic feelings for him.

Its a good thing that this kind of scenario was never featured in the show:

Ahsoka: (typing in her holo-diary) Dear Diary, Skyguy is just so cute. I mean being the Chosen One's Padawan is like totally wizard! Uh oh! Looks like I'm using phrases that he finds trendy! I guess my Master's mannerisms are rubbing off on me. Well I'll write some more later. I have a new mission. Gotta fight some battle droids on some random planet. Hopefully Rexster and Artooie will be joining the mission too. [face_tee_hee]

Me: Ugh. [face_sick]

24. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008

I know...I meant to say that they would have been given much more nourishment to their delusion if Ahsoka had had a crush on Anakin.

There's no excuse what was done with Ashoka...except popularity and cash, Ashley could of still had her prime time with Ashoka remaining in "background" had the crew really striven to making her a more rounded character; being Anakin's Padawan gave room for growth, empowerment, ect. Just look at Toph in Avatar. As with other characters in the Series she suffers as a result of the black/white approach it was adopted from the OT in a more or less grey period congruence of the PT. As it is Ashoka is just a waste to me.

25. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013

There is no excuse, because there doesn't need to be an excuse. The character was successful.

If you'd address my actual points instead of simply shouting your (completely subjective) opinion at me, then this would be an actual discussion.