main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    ... do a barrel roll?

2. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    There's a line, and you just crossed it.

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I hope you're happy, Jello.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
  5. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    RC-1991 So is it just me, or is Gruntle totally played by Nathan Fillion? I rarely "assign" established actors as my mental image for book characters, but in this case I'm having a hard time seeing anyone else.

6. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    If not for On Demand, I would be far more frustrated with the fact that half the shows I am interested in watching are on at the same time.

7. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009

I kinda see Gruntle as being played by someone a bit more intimidating than Fillion. The roles I've mentally cast are Quick Ben (Giancarlo Esposito, AKA Gustavo Fring), Udinaas (Daniel-Day Lewis in Last of the Mohicans), Fiddler (visually, the guy who plays Thoros of Myr would be a decent Fid), Silchas Ruin (voiced at least by Benedict Cumberbatch, because Tiste Andii voices must be as deep as possible), and Kalam Mehkar as that Redguard assassin from Skyrim.

8. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Toniiiight, tonight...

[​IMG]

Bib Fartuna, krtmd and Gorefiend like this.
  9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Ah, Darth Heisenberg, we were uncertain as to whether you would make it.

10. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I'm waaaaay behind on BB: S2E2.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm behind as well; I'm just before the end of season 2.

12. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    He always jumps back to Fillion for me because of his constant switching from cold and intimidating to light and funny, which is how Mal is in Serenity, (plus the Tenescrowri remind me of the Reavers). Speaking of Serenity, my mental image of Kalam would make Chiwetel Ejiofor a good match for him.

As for other "castings", the only ones I have a clear mental image for would be Sean Bean as Whiskeyjack, Liam Neeson as Dujek (though this is technically inaccurate to the text, as Dujek isn't particularly tall, but hey, sue me), and perhaps Fiddler as Trainspotting-era Ewan McGregor. For Quick Ben, Giancario Esposito is a fantastic choice, though I like Idris Elba as well (man can rock a goatee).

But speaking of Gruntle, I find the image of him on one of the Memories of Ice covers is hilarious, and not at all how I see him. Those sideburns are alive!

Yep, considering how I will be finishing the series tomorrow rather than tonight, I have little choice but to assume total internet blackout until then ;)

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I rarely say this but Breaking Bad is a show for which I haven't minded a few spoilers. The emotional roller coaster ride is so huge that having some idea of what to expect is sort of helpful; helpful in taking away some of the "I know I have to get up for work in six hours but I have to watch another episode because I need to know what happens now" stress.

14. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Yeah, spoilers aren't as toxic for BB because it's much more of a character oriented show than a plot driven one. I can tell you that Walt becomes more of an ******* as the series progresses, but that doesn't really tell you anything. Plus it's surprisingly low on character deaths.

Even so, if I had my way I'd still know nothing about it going in.

15. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Well, if you want to get technical for accuracy to the text of Malazan, most of the characters aren't white. The Diversity Thread would have a field day with Erikson's books.

The cover art of MOI is indeed hilarious. Gruntle has some really weird armor. Also, if you're reached House of Chains, you should read this: http://www.stevenerikson.com/index.php/the-problem-of-karsa-orlong/ Erikson's thoughts on why he wrote Karsa Orlong the way he did.

16. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Yeah, the Malazan books are fantastic with diversity, though I was under the impression that Whiskeyjack, Dujek and Fiddler were white, or at least not as dark as most of the other characters.

Speaking of which... ever watch The Boondocks? I can't help but see Iskaral Pust as Stinkmeaner [face_laugh]

17. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Ugh, trying to find old Morrowind mods is a lot harder, now that Planet Elder Scrolls no longer hosts mods.

Never seen Boondocks, unfortunately. Of that trio, IIRC Fiddler is white, Dujek is... I forget, actually. I know he had been one of Ammanas' original recruits back in Malaz City, but I can't remember what part of Quon Tali he's from. Same with Whiskeyjack, although later in the series it's mentioned that his real name is of Seven Cities origin. As for Iskaral Pust, visually I tend to see Pyromancer Hallyne from ASOIAF. Only far, far more entertaining.

18. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    No more Breaking Bad. Time for happy things.

19. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I just watched the Breaking Bad finale about 9 hours after everyone else. As great as everything was, there is one thing in particular I have to highlight (minor spoiler):

The triumphant return of Badger and Skinny Pete is as glorious as I could have hoped[/url]

Fantastic choice of an ending song as well... and of all things to work into the ending, a Lord of the Rings reference was not one of them.

20. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Am I alone in never bothering to watch Breaking Bad, and have no interest in doing so?

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    No, admiral!

22. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    While I cannot in good conscious condone masochism, I accept that I cannot prevent it.

23. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Not at all.

No matter how well written, I find nothing compelling about watching a bunch of ********* be ********* to other ********* to be king of the ********* pile.

24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    [​IMG]

I'm afraid I've been out of the loop for a while with TV -- what's it about? I was assuming it was like the Office or something.

Havac likes this.
  25. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Not...quite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.