main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TV Discussion Anyone else wish Pong Krell had survived Umbara?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by darth fluffy, Sep 28, 2013.

1. darth fluffy

darth fluffy Jedi Master star 2

Dec 27, 2012
    I really wish he'd stuck around longer, perhaps as a character foil to Anakin.

And then Anakin becomes Darth Vader and suddenly, he's not a foil anymore...

Actually, if I had it my way, Krell would've survived all the way to the post-RotJ EU.:)

2. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Do I wish he'd survived beyond Umbara? No, I can't personally say that I do. I think Umbara was a solid ending for Krell's character. On the other hand, do however wish we'd been exposed to Krell earlier in the series, perhaps once or twice throughout the previous three seasons, so that we can get a better idea of who he was. There was a lot of potential to see Krell when he wasn't playing the villain role, and how different he may have been from the person we see in the Umbara arc. How did a respected Jedi Master fall so far? Was it bit by bit, worn down by the war, finally succumbing to the dark when he saw the glimpse of the dark future? Or was there something there beneath the surface all along, and did his vision alone convince him to turn in a desperate bid to save himself from the coming Jedi purge? Those hints of his progression would have made his ultimate betrayal all the more impactful, in my opinion, though the arc as-is does well enough on its own.

3. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    No lie, I just watched the episodes with him in them again today. He was a dude physically strong enough to break a man's back over his knee, and wielded two double bladed lightsabers, one green and one blue. He was pretty much born awesome.

StarWarsFreak93 likes this.
  4. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    He was kinda surreal. Like Mortal Kombat meets Star Wars. It almost seems like they were brainstorming for cool ideas for the next arc, and someone was like "imagine if we had Prince Goro... And he was a Jedi" and they went with that.

I guess he was interesting, in that he wasn't only a Jedi, but was also from a bruiser species with an obvious size and strength advantage over "standard" humanoids, including humans. It was the first time we saw the unique challenges of taking down such an individual in an onscreen SW medium.

It might have been interesting to see him in combat against another Jedi who was of a standard human-level species in terms of natural physical ability, to see just what way Krell's natural physical advantages would work in that fight.

5. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    Funny thing is, I had once rolled up an RPG character that was a Besalisk with two double-bladed sabers, so I was jazzed when I saw the trailer for that season. I'd even made a custom miniature (which I then repainted to be Krell)...

But Mia pretty much hit it on the head on this one. Creating a character like that for the sole purpose of going dark with him is a bit of a cop-out (though understandable, since the show isn't structured to plan too far ahead). Would've been nice to see him before that.

whostheBossk likes this.
  6. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Nope.

The Krell incident was a foreshadowing of a lot that we saw later on - Order 66, Barriss's betrayal, Anakin's fall, Ahsoka's departure, and the loss of trust in the Jedi Order on the part of both the Republic military and the general public. It was yet another warning sign to the Jedi Order that they were too blind to see the importance of; one that, living alone in exile on Degobah for decades with only his regrets to keep him company, Yoda will wonder how he could have been fool enough to ignore.

It ended the way it had to. Any other ending would not have contained the same layers of dramatic meaning and foreshadowing that the arc had.

7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Perhaps they should have put Pong in Bariss's role. How many Jedi need to fall?

8. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
  9. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Darth Valkyrus

I think you need to make another video with the Unreal Tournament announcer sounds for Krell's epic 51-clone kill streak.

"HOLY ****!" General Krell is beyond GODLIKE! Someone KILL HIM!

Totally hax, man.

10. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    One way or another, all but two.

darklordoftech likes this.
  11. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    Definitely no.

I hated him with passion and was glad the clones stood up for themselves against him.

12. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011
    No, he was absolutely loathsome.

The only way I'd want him to survive would be if another Jedi would execute him.

13. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I've never really cared for his double double or his physical attributes, I just love the guy's personality, priorities and moral character. It's what's inside Pong Krell that I like.

Pong Krell was a hero of mine and I wish that he not only survived Umbara, but that he had his own series that takes place both before and after Umbara.

Finally someone I can root for besides Ventress.

14. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Maybe Anakin should execute him?

15. SeparatistFan

SeparatistFan Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2012
    It's a shame he didn't survive longer, I don't like how a character that cool was used as just monster of the day. It would have been nice to have seen him in light sabre fights and being very bossy to CIS characters, that would have been entertaining. The way it seems to me is that TCW became too much about fan service after the first half of S3, I like some fan service, but it's not good when it comes at the cost of the story. Take the Death Watch change in S4 for instance, people were hyped up for a Death Watch/CIS invasion of Mandalore that never happened and now A Friend in Need seems more pointless now since we never got to see Death Watch take on the CIS.

16. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    He sort of reminds me of Joruus C'Boath now that I think of him.

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I didn't like Krell at all, but I do think he needed more character development. He was "here and gone" like so many TCW characters, leaving one to wonder how the hell that happened.

He would have been a good choice to blow up the Temple.

18. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    What? Pong Krell would never blow up the Jedi Temple, too many people inside it.

Clone trooper barracks, however...

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I see your point.

I'd still like to know how he became what we saw in that arc though, not necessarily why he doesn't like clones--I'm OK with "he just doesn't" as an answer to that--but how he got to be so bitter and angry in general. The arrogance doesn't need an explanation either beyond "some people just are," but was he equally arrogant at the beginning of the war?

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I recall there being a Character Guide that painted Krell as someone beloved by his clone subordinates, who saw him as strict but brilliant - until he started throwing clone lives away.

EDIT: I've checked- it was the Dorling Kindersley The Clone Wars: What is a Sith Warrior? book.

21. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    I still wonder how the Jedi Order apparently accepted the vicious Krell like they did; he did have the biggest track record of clones killed in his service yet the rest of the Jedi seem to be a lot more careful with their troops so I wonder if he ever got reprimands for his recklessness (or did the fact that he was a successful military strategist make the rest of the Jedi think it was okay for him to treat his soldiers like expendable trash of sorts if that's what it took for him to succeed?)

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    These would have been good questions for the show to answer.

Valairy Scot and darklordoftech like this.
  23. SeparatistFan

SeparatistFan Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2012
    He was one of the only original CIS villains to have a good back story, it would have been nice if we could have seen him before Umbara as a Jedi still on the Republics side, but still a harsh commander and aggressive on the battlefield. It's a shame that the episodes and arcs of TCW didn't connect with each other more, it would have been nice to have had some foreshadowing with Barris.

24. darth fluffy

darth fluffy Jedi Master star 2

Dec 27, 2012
    I wonder what would've happened had he gone on the Outbound Flight mission and met Thrawn instead.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Krell would have been the same character but would have gotten half as much screen time, as we need an adequate amount of time to focus on how awesome Thrawn is.