main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books KENOBI by John Jackson Miller: The Official Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Aug 22, 2013.

1. John R Pleak

John R Pleak Jedi Youngling

Sep 22, 2013
    I have read many great Star Wars novels and I have also read or not finished quite a few bad ones as well. The last Star Wars novel that I didn't finish was Crucible. I couldn't make it past page 120. It bored me to death! I have been eagerly anticipating Kenobi for some time, but like many of you I am going to wait a bit before I drop $27 on the hardcover. There is so much potential with this novel though! I highly recommend picking up Star Wars the Essential Reader's Companion for anybody who wants an easy to read, overview of all Star Wars novels up through X-Wing Mercy Kill. If you are new to Star Wars novels the Readers Companion will get you caught up and you can choose from hundreds of great novels and stories to read...I am so tempted by the Dark Side to buy Kenobi today! Those of you that have read or are currently reading Kenobi, please let us know your opinion so far. Please no big spoilers, but some general info on the storyline would be great!:D

2. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Buy Kenobi in hardcover. Its that good.

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah - you could always Amazon it and get a discount. That's what I did.

4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  5. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    i heard of people losing themselves while reading a book but this is ridiculous.

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Just finished.

Wow, quite a piece of work.

fistofan1 and kataja like this.
  7. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    One detail I like about this book is also the title. Kenobi. You get a clear expectation what ithe book will be about - and you get just that. Furthermore, there's the many fine twists about him loosing his first name and getting another, his problems with keeping his anonymity etc. - making it more than a simple result of lack of imagination. I realize I'm fed up with smart titles that still make no sense when you close the book.

8. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    while i think "Kenobi is overrated a bit, i will agree that Crucible is a freaking joke. horrible book. I think i gave it a 4 or 5.

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    2 Chapters of Razor's Edge was better than the entirety of Crucible.

10. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Revelation, anyone?

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

So I continue to not lead you astray? ;)

12. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    Annileen / Anakin

Annie / Ani (sorry JJM, I cringed on that one.)

Orrin / Owen

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Since when I was doubting you? ;)

This is one of the exceedingly few times I actually stayed out of a spoiler thread until reading the book - that's a vote of confidence right there!

14. John R Pleak

John R Pleak Jedi Youngling

Sep 22, 2013
    Just found a great deal on Amazon for a used hardcover that is in unread condition. Looking forward to a great read! :)

15. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008

good, i need to start reading it

16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    imo anyway.

17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Okay I just finished it. I'll post a full review eventually, so for now I'll just post some quick thoughts.

First of all- my expectations were met and then some. Best depiction of Obi-Wan in a long time, really depicted the tragedy of his life well. Best depiction of Tatooine in a long time. Best depiction of Tuskens ever. Great use of continuity. Every character was awesome and very well-developed. Story was very well-paced. And again, that cover is just so damn pretty.

Not the best SW book, but definitely up there, and definitely among my top 10 personal favorites. Great work, JJM. [face_peace]

18. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Can't wait for the paperback. The only reason I'm not getting the hardcover is because of the space it occupies - the Mercy Kill hardcover took up way to much space so I gave as present to a friend and bought the paperback.

19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  20. Obie-2-Kenobi

Obie-2-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    Finally finished reading it last night! And it was decent. I liked the whole High Plains Drifter thing it had going. I have to say that for me it lacked a few things that I thought would be there, but over all it was a good read. The sheer elusiveness of Obiwan throughout the book was a bit tedious at times. My brain was literally screaming "JUST SHOW THAT FOOL WHAT A BAD ASS YOU ARE ONCE PLEASE!!!!' But I guess that's why I'd make a really crummy Jedi...and then there's the whole thing at the end where he actually does do what my brain was screaming, so...I liked it. I agree with a lot of the other posts I've seen so far in that it was a lot better than A LOT of the other SW novels I've read lately, so money well spent.

JediMatteus, Gorefiend and pronker like this.
  21. JediMasterKeno

JediMasterKeno Jedi Grand Master star 1

Apr 22, 2000
    I was tempted to buy the hardcover of Kenobi at Walmart but I decided to wait until it comes out for paperback.

I bought the new Stephen King Dr Sleep novel though so I didnt leave Wally World empty handed. Plus I bought Seasons 1 and 2 of Tales from the Crypt, the new Collectors Edition DVD of original Halloween 2 and Hatchet 1

22. JohnJacksonMiller

JohnJacksonMiller Mastermind: KOTOR, LTotS, Knight Errant star 3 VIP

May 24, 2005
    For folks in the Madison, Wis., area, I am discussing the book at Reads Day at the West Towne Barnes & Noble at 2 for Reads Day tomorrow. And for those not in the area, I will be on a daylong Goodreads panel with Jason Fry, Ryder Windman, and other authors: https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/78091-star-wars-reads-panel

23. Darth Loocas

Darth Loocas Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 14, 2013
    you read my mind on this piece i agree with every word,except i personally think it's the best SW novel ive read,and ive read quite a few like all,
    but like you said characters were perfectly developed & the relationships were beautifuly developed as well...and i never thought i could feel a connection with tuskens,and actually feel for them the way JJM made us do in this one...so far, top of my list of fave lit...

Gorefiend and pronker like this.
  24. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    I think the title is a missed opportunity par excellence. I'm not sure if JJM has already talked about it and if there's an official reason behind the title. The way it seems to me is that the book is called Kenobi because that way it will sell to people who like Kenobi (just like the TCW armour pieces on the cover make nil sense but hey, that's how current SW fans recognize their Kenobi). Now, if there's ever another book about Kenobi, will it be called Kenobi 2? Or Kenobi Zero if it's set before this Kenobi? Should the Empire & Rebellion books (or whatever the series is called) be called Organa, Solo and Skywalker so there's no question about the content of the book?

I can imagine that there's a theory that it makes sense to have Kenobi lose his first name and just become Kenobi, but hey, the book is actually about him becoming Ben. And not really remaining Kenobi, even though he has to remain Kenobi. (By the way, the existence of other Kenobis on Tatooine, if the settlers aren't just mistaken about the names as hinted, makes total sense. Especially if Cliegg Lars' first wife was such a Kenobi. That ran off to planet Stewjon, if you want to keep that piece of 'information' in canon...)

In a perfect world, this book wouldn't have needed to be called Kenobi. I'd prefer King Of The Jundland, or, since it's a western, The Man Who Shot General Grievous.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Kenobi 2 Go: The Fast Food Years

pronker likes this.