main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Is anyone else bugged by how neat Han's hair is?

2. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009

Thats Han? I though it was a young clone or a illegitimate teenage brother.

3. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I am pretty sure it's Han due to it being his standard outfit, but since I don't have the book, I don't really know for certain.

4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    She's holding the camera, obviously.

Gorefiend, Mia Mesharad and krtmd like this.
  5. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Yes, it's definitely Han. He's sporting his shorter 1980 hair, as opposed to the 1977 shaggy look.

6. JediFreac

JediFreac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Everyone's skin is so nice...Neutrogena?

7. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Blue Milk

TrakNar likes this.
  8. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Diversity in Lego, yo!
    [​IMG]

9. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  10. JediFreac

Mar 7, 2002
    From the DP of Razor's Edge:
    Which, um...whoa whoa whoa when did that happen? I know that R2 was always referred to with male pronouns but when did he become a "masculine" droid? After he started doing squats on Muscle Beach?

TrakNar likes this.
  11. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    "Masculine" =/= "macho".

12. JediFreac

Mar 7, 2002

Hey, so I'm in the middle of reading this book now and I'm confused because I just got to this scene. On the very left we have Sian Tesar and assuming it's the rest of Leia's crew, Han and a character named Kifar Iftran, who is described as having strong features and a heavy brow, with a strong build, skin with a "faint orange tint to it, echoed in streaks in his short shock of brown hair." When I read this physical descriptor I immediately thought of someone of Pacific Islander descent such as someone Tongan or Samoan due to the stocky build, orange tinted skin, and dark hair. As for Metara's crew, the scene describes them as a group of five humans with a woman in the lead. We later learn that Metara's top underlings are a blonde woman and a man with dark skin (not in this scene.) But it's weird how this artwork breaks down "five humans led by a woman" in this way.

13. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    Could be the influence of Wookieepedia actually. They classify droids as having 'masculine programming' and 'feminine programming' over there.

14. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    That's something that has appeared in books forever. I'm pretty sure Artoo was said to have masculine programming as far back as The Essential Guide to Characters.

TrakNar and Gorefiend like this.
  15. JediFreac

Mar 7, 2002
    Human gender binaries influencing droid programming. Wonder how species with different gender structures program their droids?

Contessa likes this.
  16. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  17. Mechalich

Feb 2, 2010
    That's amusing but of course, the problem is we have absolutely no points of comparison between Humans and any other sapient species to try and figure out where on the scale of awesome we might or might not be.

In terms of Star Wars, of course, the evidence seems to indicate that humans share probably 90+% of their DNA with all other humanoid species in the galaxy due to some combination of panspermia/elder species intervention, so the majority of the hypothetical competitors share those traits too.

18. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, the averageness of humans is pretty well-established in the GFFA, but I think that link makes a good point that there's no reason for SF to not go in the other direction more often.

Of course, in the GFFA, it's always possible that thousands of years ago humans were one of the more aggressive species, and their being so widespread so early led to the extinction (and/or isolationism) of lots of the less-hardy species.

The Loyal Imperial likes this.
  19. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    This also has implications in terms how similar to humans (in terms of behavior and thought processes) most aliens seem to be - it's entirely possible that the most foreign, hostile, and incomprehensible species that were incapable of peaceful coexistence were wiped out by the Republic long ago.

CooperTFN likes this.
  20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Am I the only one who are a bit disappointed that they all look like they buy their clouts at the same store? Smugglers & Spacers maybe?
    Also lady #1 (from the left) and Leja are the only one with interesting coiffures :(

21. Mechalich

Feb 2, 2010
    Or by the Celestials, Rakata, et al. The Celestials at least severely limited development and expansion by the Killiks, which because Denning doesn't comprehend biology are a broke-tastic growth powerhouse.

We do know that the Republic did try to wipe out quite a few alien species during the Pius Dea Era though, so humans certainly acquired a good dollop of their galactic dominance by the sword.

The Essential Atlas does make the following point about aggression though: "in known space, most amoral, expansionist species were cowed or exterminated long ago."

I believe the point of reference there is something like the Vagaari, which is a level humans certainly do not rise to meet.

22. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    We could also simply assume the Force is why all aliens are human-like in mind.

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    fixed
    This made me wonder; is there any thread were you can discuses clothes and fashion?

24. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Create one.

25. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    A whole thread, though? It only really needs one thing.

[​IMG]