main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New 6" Black Series Coming From Hasbro

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by LAJ_FETT , Jan 30, 2013.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Hadn't heard that but I can't say I'm surprised. They are quite expensive at my local Entertainer - around £20. Kids aren't going to pay that for a figure to play with. I saw the first wave recently and as a Fett collector I didn't see anything I wanted. Maul looked pretty good but not for that price. If they do a Jango or Boba I'd probably be tempted though. Boba is listed on the Rebelscum checklist but no number or date. I know he/Carbonite Han was a ComicCon exclusive but I don't want to pay that eBay price.

2. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    at my target they are $20, which I think is outragous. in 2002-2006 marvel legends were 8.99 and they were amazing quality. then when hasbro took over they made them 100x worse and charged 14.99.
    in 2007 the star wars figures were 6.99, then recently they upped the prices to 10.99, now they lowered them to 9.99 to justify pricing the 6 inch figures at 20.
    i still bought the darth maul one and i'm waffling over buying the sandtrooper.
    i will not be buying any 3 3/4 inch figures unless they make somthing like dash rendar or another shadows of the empire figure, which i think is very unlikely.

3. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    I'd ask for where he read that before starting to worry about things. You know how the SW community is - rumors run like wildfire.

I haven't been out shopping in eons - no idea how they're selling here. They are marketed towards collectors, they're really not supposed to be for kids (although kids could certainly play with them.) I hope they continue the line. I know that people are excited about the next round.

4. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Boba is definitely in Wave 2, along with Han (ANH), Greedo and Slave Leia. I'm debating just pre-ordering Boba. I think he will be the one that's hard to find.

I agree, I think the price is a huge deterrent here. When the line was announced I immediately looked to the Marvel Legends line as a guide and thought "Okay, it'll run $14.99-$16.99.". When I read it was going to retail for $19.99 I was a little mad.

Yeah, I'm going to ask him where he saw it at work tomorrow. It wasn't on any of the sites I frequent (Rebelscum, Galactichunter). It's been a slow seller around here, but the first wave is a bit weak for a launch. Wave 2 should be a brisk seller.

5. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Probably because of the price point people are reluctant to pick them up, but when they do, nearly everyone is impressed w/ the quality of the pieces. Honestly - I don't have a problem w/ $19.99. Hasbro's having to sculpt these from scratch because they're a new line of figures. When the Unleashed line came out they were $14.99+ each and weren't nearly as intricate for the parts. I always thought those were actually more overpriced than these.

I'm expecting the next wave - Han, Greedo, Boba, and Leia to fly off of the shelves.

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Just looked on Amazon UK - some firm in the Marketplace has Boba/Han for just under £100. Not going there. They didn't have the new Boba figure up for pre-order yet.

7. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Me too. I should just pre-order the whole wave, but I'm only 50/50 on Leia, so I'm going to take my chances for now.

The price on that Comic-Con Fett seems to be holding for now. I see it on eBay for no lower than $150 BIN. Too rich for my blood as well. It may come down. I remember when the Silver Anniversary Boba Fett was selling for upwards of $100. A few months later I got mine on eBay for like $25.

8. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I got the silver Fett when it first came out from r2dtoys at the retail price. In fact I think I have a couple of them - one on display, the other packaged.

Someone is buying the 6" figures - the selection at Entertainer was down to 1 Maul and 1 R2 when I was there this morning. And all of the smaller ones were gone.

9. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Looks like they're starting to buy them around here, too. I just made a good 'ol fashioned toy run—2 Targets, 1 Meijer—and all they had between them were R2's (and 1 Maul). I was definitely glad to see them sellingsave for R2, who will likely be a shelf warmer.

I also saw the 3 3/4" series for only the 2nd time thus far.

10. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I'd laugh if Maul turned out to be the shelfwarmer.

TrakNar likes this.
  11. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    I assumed that Maul would be the hot figure from this wave. It seems like no matter what people think of the PT, they like Maul. R2 is obviously a popular character, but I think people are just balking at paying $20 for a figure that small.

It's just an odd wave really. Not what I'd have used to launch a line.

12. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I think the figure choices to launch with were weird and disjointed. Same as with the next wave - it would've been great, had they made Leia either from ANH or ESB, but putting her in ROTJ makes her stand alone and screams "FANBOYS BUY ME!"

If they'd launched wave 1 from these characters: X-Wing Luke, R2, C-3PO, Buns Leia or Chewbacca, ANH Han Solo, Darth Vader, stormtrooper they all probably would've sold better because they'd display better together from the outset. Releasing the figures in pairs is a good idea - Han/Boba Fett/Greedo - great combo to sell together. Anakin/Obi-Wan ROTS together - better than apart. Maul needed Qui-Gon or Obi-Wan.

The willy-nilly way that they're releasing these remind me of the Diamond Select 18" figures - they had a few that were released who didn't get anyone to go with them before the line ended so displaying them is a pain. Darth Maul didn't have anyone made to go with him, nor did Hoth Han Solo. For ANH they had old Ben and Han Solo but they killed the line when ANH Luke and Darth Vader were up on deck to be released next.

I can see why Hasbro doesn't want to flood the market w/ too many figures at once. They've learned that Prequel figures take a little longer to sell and need to be released w/ OT figures, but selling the prequel figs one at a time might bite them in the rear. They should sell them as pairs.

For the most part I don't care - so long as they don't fall into a rut where 1 out of every 4 is a clone w/ different paint, I'll consider getting the set. I like the detailing on them as opposed to the 3 3/4" scale figures and I like having them as a new sized figure for my displays.They go quite nicely between my little guys and 12" figures.

[​IMG]

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  13. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    That's an excellent point. Whether you want to display them or play with them, how do Darth Maul and X-Wing Luke go together exactly? It could be years before they make a TPM Obi-Wan or Qui-Gon. I get that there's a certain risk to themed waves, but I think there's a greater risk in waves this random. Like you said, at least wave 2 has a bit more cohesiveness to it.

Great pic BTW!

14. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Was in The Entertainer today - they had restocked both these and the smaller figures. Still nothing I wanted though.

15. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    I think I read that the 6" line comes packed 2-per case. I've been wondering if local stores will be restocking them or if it's one case and done per wave.

16. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Well, when I was there earlier there were 2 R2s, and one each of the others. I think it depends on how well the figures sell. I know the local Entertainer has a bunch of old pegwarmers so it's always nice to see something new. The store is part of a chain here in the UK so I'd imagine the central depot gets deliveries and then send stuff to the individual stores. My local one is small but I know they have larger ones - Milton Keynes has a big one that I visited when I went to Collectormania there.

17. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I got a box directly from a seller that was factory sealed - they send them out in boxes 1 each, so 4 per box, 1 complete set.

18. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    I'm guessing stores will be conservative here to start. I think a store could conceivably sell through another 1-2 Sandtroopers or Luke's, but then they'd be stuck with those extra R2s and maybe Mauls. I just hope they stock up on wave 2 :p.

19. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    They have wave 1 for sale at the Toys R Us near me so I am going to pick up Maul and R2 on Thursday. They are selling for $25 Canadian up here...

20. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    They are UK £20 at the Entertainer.

21. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Anakin prototype pic:

[​IMG]

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  22. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    I really like they way they've intergrated the soft goods here. It works so much better on this scale than it does 3 3/4" IMO.

23. CrazyMike

Dec 4, 2000
    I am going by Toys R Us tonight and I am going to be picking up at least 2 of the figures ( Maul and R2 )...

24. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
  25. CrazyMike

Dec 4, 2000
    This line is really nice but a little on the expensive side. It will be interesting to see how the line does.