main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TV Discussion The Relationship of Anakin and Ahsoka

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Mzukiller, Sep 15, 2013.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011

I agree with you. The character had good potential in seasons 1 and 2. She was sort of the result of what I imagined would be Obi-Wan's wish for Anakin: 'Someday, young one, you will be given a Padawan exactly like yourself.' She could have been used to show another facet of Anakin's growth (or lack of growth if that's what the writers wanted) as a teacher, as well as giving him one more person, a little sister figure, to whom he became attached, and had to let go of. And given Yoda's speech in the movie, I assumed that's what was planned for her character. I wish the writers had continued down that route because it would have been awesome.

As it was, by season 3, she was just in the way, a creation for Filoni to show off, and with no impact whatsoever on the larger story.

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  2. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013

In other words... exactly what they did.

darth fluffy likes this.
  3. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Yikes, you're laying it on thick for sure. You make it sound like Ahsoka was turned into some sort of Dave Filoni phallic compensation device. Which is ludicrous to me and not what I saw her as at all. I thought she was an okay character, start to finish.

But I'll leave it at that rather than post another wall of text in this cyclical argument.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  4. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    The GFFA isn't the same without the almighty Ahsoka.

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Exactly as I saw her in latter seasons. Maybe "phallic compensation device" is a little harsh--or not--but she was definitely a pet character and her overpoweredness as well as the propensity of other characters to believe that she was Teh Most Awesome was ridiculous.

But yeah, don't worry about the wall of text. You didn't see it that way, I did.

What gets ludicrous here is people trying to prove that other people's perceptions of a character are "wrong." I, personally, appreciate your respecting a difference of opinion as opposed to trying to do that. [face_peace]

6. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I agree. It'd get pretty boring around here if everyone agreed. Besides, I've always enjoyed hearing the reasoning behind differing opinions. I may not agree with them, but it's still fun to expand the scope of a given topic that way, IMO.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    I don't even recall anybody talking about how great Ahsoka was... not any more than, say, Domino Squad, once they proved themselves. Yes, she had more screentime, but what I'm saying is, it's proportionate. TCW = happy resolutions, happy resolutions = commendation at the end of the episode. I'd love to see examples outside that logical context...

I have no problem with the opinion, but I've only contested the cited facts to back that up as being arguable at best. Personally, if I like or dislike somebody, I don't need a reason. Sometimes somebody rubs you the wrong way, sometimes they strike a chord. Sometimes it just sounds like people get mad for a character they like saying something positive about a character they don't like. But... they're not real. I just don't get it, 'sall.

But if this has to resolve in another strawman argument where I'm accused of challenging someone's right to have a certain opinion (and not what I'm actually doing, challenging individual "facts" cited in support of that opinion), then so be it. Let's light this thang up right, yall! Strawman party! =D= [face_cowboy]

8. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    I was always indifferent about Ahsoka. There were times when she was boring as hell, sometimes she added dept to the episode. But I'd never say she was the most amazing character in the GFFA ever created.

9. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Edit: Inappropriate.

10. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    Edit: Inappropriate.

11. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    There's some mental imagery I could have done without. :p

12. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    Hmmm... That's just a BIT darker than what I was imagining!

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Ahsoka as Monica Lewinsky? [face_laugh]

And oh hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2.

JediGirl_Angelina likes this.
  14. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    Jedi mind trickery would be quite useful in that situation.

*Waves hand* "I did not have sexual relations with that woman"

*Monotone voice* "You did not have sexual relations with that woman"

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Mind tricks wouldn't work on Padme though. She'd aim the blaster right at his crotch.

...at least the well-written Padme would. ROTS Padme would have cried and said he was breaking her heart.

Jedi_Kenobi32 likes this.
  16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
  17. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    *Reads some of the posts on this page*

*Mental images invade brain*

*Goes to fridge and takes out a wine bottle*

*Pours self a glass and starts drinking* Oh yes destroy those images...

anakinfansince1983 I actually have a nickname for ROTS Padme and that's Housewife Padme.

18. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    He was breaking her heart or she was breaking his heart?

How about Tarantino Padme...

Two of the Jedi Order's most promising young lights just disappear. It causes a bit of consternation, since one of them was the so called Chosen One.

Decades later, a chain gang of Imperial troopers on punishment duty cleaning out the depths of Coruscant discovers the skeletal remains of an unidentified human male and an unidentified togruta female in a garbage dump. As much of an autopsy as it is possible for the company medical droid to perform, reveals that they suffered extremely painful deaths, with lots of obvious deliberate torture. The discovery gets filed away and lost in the bureaucracy somewhere and nobody is the wiser.

19. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    If Ahsoka being the main character with episodes structured around us seeing unfolding events through her eyes makes her a pet character, okay, but that basically just defines protagonist.

VanishingReality likes this.
  20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    You're right, but episodes featuring many displays of Ahsoka's mad skillz as well as many characters commenting on how she saved the day and disaster would have happened had she not been there--that makes her a pet.

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  21. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Indeed, to a certain Dathomirian, Ahsoka is "Skywalker's filthy, obnoxious little pet." ;) FWIW...

22. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    Especially when she's made to save the day during the Slaver arc. Literally out of nowhere and arguably robbing the storyline of its major theme. Why? Cause Filoni has a crush.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Heero_Yuy and Circular Logic like this.
  24. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    Now that I think of it, during the commentary for the Slaver arc, Dave actually admits that he deliberately changed how the slaver thing was resolved just because he wanted his Super Special Awesome Uber Padawan Chosen One Sex Goddess to have her moment of triumph.

25. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    He also admits that they switched to a more modest, classy costume for his... what is it? Super Special Awesome Uber Padawan Chosen One Sex Goddess?

And it makes perfect sense, the comic wasn't well-structured, the Togruta were her own people so of course she went straight for them, though she didn't actually do anything except damage control, her allies did the actual saving, so on and so forth, gg no re.